All the wiring diagrams I see have a tone pot in the diagram..unless only 1 pickup is used.. Need some help wiring 4 simple humbuckers together. NO TONE pot...
I'm not sure if the diagram exists and I really don't know if it should be parallel or series.
Just trying to come up with a cool electric instrument with about 4-6 humbuckers , volume (ground) and jack. No tone.
Thank you

Views: 2452

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Recently I used a two pot set up on a piezo & pup. I created a mixer set up with them that blends the two together (at any volume for either) or just one or the other.. I would be curious to see how that's done with more than 2 pick ups without the use of switches.

Wouldn't you get a lot of resistance bleed through each pot?

1 way around that Fomhar,is a diode on the output of each pot

What diode is that? Thank you.

The 1 i use Jon is a schottky,1a/40v diode, but it's only relevant if using multiple volume  vol pots

Ooooh.. Diodes are one way. Is this correct?
I kinda remember this from way back in the days.

Some others,don't agree,but i swear by them for separation,it stops the signal returning,and coming back via the other pick up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWJeR_O5p44

There are different type of diodes that will do different things. Isolation diodes are the one you speaking of that allow current to flow in one direction only. There's no need of them if your using switches. You can use them instead of switches, but using 2 pickups at a time will not have the same effect because the diodes isolate each circuit from one another. That doesn't make a lot of difference with HB's, but makes a lot of difference with single coils. So it depends on what you want out of you guitars wiring as to what's best.

What I would do is wire each pickup(4 pickups) to a DPST on/off/on switch(4 switches). Center turns pickup off, one side would be parallel and the other side would be series. Then straight to a master volume.

It would be a fun task to wire up with 4 - 4 wire humbuckers, but would be a lot of tone options.

But after you do it all, you'll most likely only use half of what's available. I have 4 guitars with 2 humbuckers only that do just fine and I couldn't see why I would need 2 more on my guitar. But to each his own.

Seymour Duncan's website would probably have a wiring layout of what your looking for to make things easier. Seymour Duncan also has Triple Shot rings that enable each coil to be used together in parallel, series or each coil separately. But they have to be wired to a selector switch for choice of pickups.

So figure out exactly what you want/need or will use first.

Use one of these for each HB. Wire all North-Start wires from the switch to the volume pot leg and all grounds to the back or side of volume pot. Then the + and - wire from volume to jack and a ground to the bridge/tail piece and your done.

Paul can we simplify. I have hot and ground wires only from Humbuckers. No other wires. I don't know about north south unless that means just reversing the poles? Or direction of the way the HB face either the neck or bridge ? Thanks and sorry if you've already explained this here.

That was for 4 wire HB's. If you have 2 wire HB's, then you can't do the parallel/series thing because you only have 2 wires(one + and one -), they are in series mode.

All you can do is get 4 SPST switches th

at are ON/OFF.Outside terminal is for hot/+ lead of pickup. Center terminal wire to volume pot. Do the same for all 4 pickup/switch assemblies like this:

Don't know what happened to the last photo, but you get it.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->