I've come to the point where I'm thinking about adding the nut and bridge. I sent away for samples of corian which arrived and it seems to be very workable. Before I go to far into it I'd like some advice on action at the first and twelfth fret.

This brings me onto my second question: although this guitar is fretless I'd still like to mark fret position and add fret markers. The fret markers I've got covered, what I would like advice on is marking where the fret wires would be on a fretted guitar. I've a couple ideas, 1. Draw frets on with white sharpie or such like, then apply finish over top, or 2. Cut shallow slots into fretboard as if adding fret wire, then filling slots with a mixture of wood glue white paint and wood shaving, sand flush then apply finish.

Any thoughts?

Views: 5496

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They look really good. And what a great price. Cheers for the link.

also, I keep a variety of colored guitar picks.  red, yellow, green blue black, even fake tortoise shell and abalone.  Then just use a paper punch.  I use 1/4" for the fretboard and 3/16 for the side markers.  Next a fostner or brad point bit of that size to create a flat bottom hole.  a little super glue (I like gel for this application) and voila', a nicely dressed up fret board on the cheap...

Medium thickness works best (for me) for this purpose.

Last year a friend showed me how to made a jig to use violin tuning pegs for dot markers. I made some notes on how I did it. The pegs are cheap and they work great.

Here are my notes:

Dot markers how to

great post... like the way they look... the contrast is so strong...

Yeah they do look great. Love the sharpener and as Sam says contrast is really strong.

All of the suggestions made so far are good ones. I've not tried the clay though - sounds interesting.

Something I played around with is using strips of balsa for the markers. You can find thin sheets of balsa at your local hobby shop - especially one that specializes in model airplanes. I believe I got a sheet of .030 thick balsa to make the markers in the pic linked below.

In the pic below, I stained the neck, then cut fret slots as if I were going to install fret wire, I put a sheet of 220 grit sandpaper on a sanding block and gave the balsa a few swipes to thin it down enough to fit in the fret slot. I put a drop of CA glue on the bottom edge of the balsa strip, then slipped it into the slot. I gave the glue a chance to dry (like a minute or 2) then trimmed it flush on the top and sides with a single edged razor blade. Then I moved on to the next marker. After I had them all inlayed, I sprayed the whole neck with poly, just to see how it looked. It took a little time to do, but I like the look.

I've considered doing something similar with stock I used for the neck, presuming I can cut thin enough slices using my compound mitre saw, this should contrast nicely against my fret board.
Attachments:

That would look good. If you can't make slices thin enough, you might consider a small piece of veneer. That's basically what this balsa that I have is. It's cheap and plentiful too.

That's a great look, good idea using the soft balsa wood for this purpose.

I like using a silver metalic sharpie,  But I only mark the side of the neck where the player can see.  Whats the point of marking the fretboard?  (just sayin)

I use a No. 2 pencil! 

I use BBs...  I drill a small hole the diameter of the BB and about 75% deep.  A drop of CA glue and a coat of clear polyacrylic and it's done.  You can use brass or steel BBs for different looks.  They have a nice shine and are easy to see. 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Uncle John commented on J. D. Woods's photo
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on J. D. Woods's photo
Thumbnail

Current Instrument Line-Up

"Nice line up.  Unusual pick guard on the big git that looks like a Martin.  What is that…"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Ghostbuttons's photo
Thumbnail

Four projects

"Nice, nice trio."
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

"Looks great.  That looks like one I could really like playing.  Four strings too. …"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on David Hopkins's photo
Thumbnail

Anti-Body Guitars 18,19 and 20

"Great theme, workmanship and guitars!"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on David Hopkins's photo
Thumbnail

Angel 2x Anti-Body #17

"Very, very nice.  I hope it got to a good home and that it will be enjoyed.."
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Darryl Tuttle's photo
Thumbnail

Old portable heater

"Yup.  Good eye deer.  Maybe find a use for that fan too.  If not on this amp,…"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"Looks and sounds good. Built under the solar eclipse!"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
2 hours ago
Uncle John commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"I thought you were going to say 'cross roads'.  Rockin' along the roads. …"
2 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Gary O'slide's video
Thumbnail

Western song cigar box guitar @RhialtoPurple

"Pretty guitar. Sounding good too."
2 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->