Hi,

When ordering everything I needed I neglected to get some ferrules for the tail to fit the strings through. I was just planning on drilling holes in the tail for the strings. What options can be found at a place like HD or lowes or even someplace like michaels? Is there anything out there I could just go pick up?

Thanks for any ideas!
Mike

Views: 1459

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Me too on the stash!

Those are good ideas and methods.   But I prefer another route.   I get a kick out of cutting simple tail pieces out of sheet metal.  A bonus to this is that one or two screws they fasten and unfasten the tail piece to and from the box.  

On my recent tenor build it took me 3 times to get the nut and saddle heights close to just right.   I just left the strings on the tuners, removed the tailpiece and made my adjustments.   Then got the strings untangled and screwed the tail piece back on.  

I start out with cheap strings (Musician's Gear) from Musician's Friend.   They are pretty decent.   Then later when all is set to suit me, I may switch to some better strings from the Anonymous Pick or Gitty. 

Same deal if you use a hinge tail piece.

If you lack sheet metal, use a tin can.  Campbell's Pork & Beans cans are quite musical.

On Ebay you can buy coloured bike spoke nipples in red,blue and gold.They're 14 mm long but you can probably cut them down to a shorter length....

I thought I'd pull a couple pics out of my CBN albums.

Angle aluminum

Fretwire on box

Mojobone Works Tailpiece

Right Angle Braces

Closest I've done to ferrules since my first guitar build

I try to be a bit of a repurposing nut. The tail piece is part of an old SS noodle fork. The nut and bridge are made of a piece of elk rib and 2 Walking Liberty 1/2 dollars

Attachments:

I have used thin copper tubeing.  Drill the hole at an angle towards the headstock.  Make the saw cut to match the angle of the hole you just drilled.  Works ok.  But I have since started using a brass plate screwed to the back.  The neck stops at the back, inside of the box.  Put a little back curve on it, cut slots and you have a quick change string changing method.  You don't have to unthread the whole string.  Simply loosen the tuners and pot the string out of the slot. 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Southern Ray commented on Dogleg Steve's video
Thumbnail

Fiddly Rag from the book Cigar Box Picking by Dogleg Steve

" Sitting here with a silly grin... Thanks, that was well played and fun!"
2 hours ago
Rich commented on Rich's photo
Thumbnail

Retro Radio Tin Whole view

"Thanks, Brian. UJ - appreciate the good review. Doug, this one sat for a while partly done, and…"
6 hours ago
AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #530 - ''Pink Floyd''

""Thanx A.D." Yep!, Messrs Waters & Gilmore don't seem to be friends anymore :-D"
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

AGP #532 - '' Black Sabbath''

""Thanks Doug", One more to go, a bit smaller Sign 6" x 12", and not Band…"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

AGP 8 Stand Carousels

""Thanks  'UJ' & Doug", now have Eleven 8 Stand Carousels, all on…"
8 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

Chugger Review 2nd from left

"Oke ! Rock Caktus ! i got Ye ! Watersavers! and still Cool !"
9 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP 8 Stand Carousels

"The Metal Corner ! fine looking stand & Gits there AGP# ,Still cranking them out like there…"
9 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Rich's photo
Thumbnail

Retro Radio Tin Whole view

"Verry Cool Rich ! real good looker ! and a fine player ! Rock&Roll Radio !"
9 hours ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

"I love Doug's work too!! -Glenn"
10 hours ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

"ALL really sweet Uncle John! Congrats! -Glenn"
10 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Dogleg Steve's video
Thumbnail

Dead Mans Rag from the book Cigar Box Picking Rags for 3&4 string Cigar Box Guitar by Dogleg Steve

"Very jaunty Steve! It’s a treat to watch you play. Thanks for sharing."
13 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->