Entry rules: one photo of fave instruments and tell us why they made your fave list.   FACTORY BUILTS ARE OKAY HERE!

Judging:  Maybe just your CBN friends and peers.  Maybe a judge or judge panel

Prize: CBN fame, adulation and adoration.  Maybe.

Contest ends March 2, 2015. 

Views: 3204

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is my current collection:

(back row left to right) Spruce-caster with top & back sinker cypress I got from G.S. Monroe, Parts-caster with handmade walnut pickguard and tremolo back cover, Zebra wood electric tenor w/ amplifier in case featurung twin flat buckers by Dan Sleep, cherry/walnut/maple baritone electric strum stick (diatonic frets), birdseye maple/flame maple strum guitar (chromatic).

(front row left to right) my son's junk-caster, birdseye maple long scale lapsteel featuring single coil & humbucker pups by Ted Crocker, flame maple/walnut/rosewood electric tenor featuring my own rosewood top handwound pickups (magnets from Dan Sleep), birdseye "electric trout" strummer, 4 string "Orisha" cigar box guitar (this was my third build, and only retained cbg for sentimental reasons...plus it's signed by a local blues musician named Matt Andersen).

(far right) two Farmer Ted combo amplifiers, and the small slender box is an amp head (no speaker).

(middle) The Thunderbox...an electric/acoustic dobro lapsteel made from a c. 1901 Dominion pump organ.

Of all these guitars, my main player is the zebrawood electric tenor. The amplifier case really balances well, and is fairly loud considering it's only 1/2 watt.

My favorite is the birdseye lapsteel, though I rarely have time to bring her down to play. And the one I would never part with is the Thunderbox...although I had considered a trade with another member a couple years ago. 

Mr. Steve, that is breath taking.  Ahh, you like tenors too!  

Is that where all these 'Beauties' sleep?, the "Thunderbox" really stands out, and I'll bet it sounds as good as it looks.

I don't know if the term Thunderbox has the same meaning in the US, but in the land of Oz it refers to an old outside "Dunny" or "Toilet".

Ha, I bet...she does growl, but not like a Dunny. Just pulled the guitars outta the bedroom closet for a group photo...bed was best close spot to do it. A few go on wall hangers, a couple others have cases, the big ones like the "dunny" ( I think I may have to rename that one) Thunderbox have a shelf in the bedroom closet.

Thanks, and yes, she was a pump organ for 100 years, now she's a growling lapsteel for the next 100.

Sorry!, 'Farmer Ted', the dunny comment was not meant to be a derogatory one, I love the "Thunderbox" title, and one would hope it is not renamed.

nice!

Nice bunch, Wayfinder.   Pleas mail me that Chery Blossom git.  Love it.

All 'Good Lookers' but "Cherry Blossom" is a real "Beauty"

Good looking line up indeed

At the present time I have about 136 (I think!) Fave’s scattered about the house and sheds etc; 3 store bought, and the rest a mixture of just about everything from 1 to 6 strings, Ukes, Dulcimers, Cbg’s, Licence Plates, Hubcaps and anything else I have been able to get my hands on, which are all my own builds, but for the purpose of this interesting forum or ‘Contest’ posted by “Uncle John”, I have tried to narrow them down to “The Magnificent 7”, so here they are counting down in order from left to right:

No 7:AGP#1 - Mainly sentimental reasons, this was my 1st build, and the start of my becoming a “CBG Tragic”, I have just had a play of it, for the 1st time in a while, and forgot what a great all round sound it has, probably the best sounding Piezo Disc build I have ever done, it probably should be rated higher.  

No 6: AGP#130 -“Cedar Ruffy”, love the look of this one, good all rounder both clean and crunchy.

No 5: AGP#88- “Puddin”, sentimental fave, but also a good all rounder both clean and crunchy.

No 4: AGP#146 - “International”, a low rumbler.

No 3: AGP#131 - “Rocky Mahog”, 29inch Baritone, nice deep mellow tones.

No 2: AGP#47 - “The Vase”, recently renovated, the body is a 1/4 inch aluminium vase, this thing sings and roars.

*No 1: AGP#136 - “Vacuum Oil Can”, this ‘Ugly Looking Bad Ass Beast’ rumbles, roars, shakes, rattles and rolls, but can also sound quite mellow on clean, it is my most played git.

Yep! 'Wayfinder' 136 and still building, I did mention the "Tragic Factor", their stashed away in wardrobes etc; hanging on walls and stored in sheds, I have been asked many times by friends and family why I don't sell some of them, but their like my children, and I can't bear the thought of parting with either of them.

HOARDER!   Okay, AGP, you are now on my fave builders list.  I like Cedar and Oil can the best here.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->