Yo...

it's alright, what yous guys are doin here, but...

I think u need to get some *&% straight.

go down to the source for Christs sake!

Robert Johnson and Elmore James should do ya.

if u want a get slick quick... check out Rory Block

http://www.roryblock.com/

get yer groove on first!

an then get back 2 me about blues

damn;
Unc

Views: 287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

this is a blues site? hmmmm, i didnt get the memo
The blues is great and all, fantastic stuff. Personally I prefer punk rock. 3 chords and the truth is really all you need though.
Remember, music is a growing and creative thing. It's all very well to know where you're coming from, and I agree that if you're going to be a blues player it behooves you to at least be familiar with the genre and the roots.

But we're not tied slavishly to doing things exactly as our predecessors did....

Used to be a folk artist who would sing an old "traditional" folk song while making a weird "shhht, shhht," sound. He'd say it was the scratch in the record..."Gotta be authentic!"

I'm a big bluegrass fan but I can't hardly stand the "traditional" stuff; I like progressive artists like Sam Bush, and Bela Fleck and numbers of others.

I do an old song called "Mother Earth". I learned it as a slide-guitar blues from a Dave Alvin recording. However, it's a Memphis Slim tune and HE played it on the piano.....
Don't let tradition stifle your creativity.
if your playin bluegrass , your playin blues
its the founding part of bluegrass!
i agree, let your ears grow large

Mark Werner said:
Remember, music is a growing and creative thing. It's all very well to know where you're coming from, and I agree that if you're going to be a blues player it behooves you to at least be familiar with the genre and the roots.

But we're not tied slavishly to doing things exactly as our predecessors did....

Used to be a folk artist who would sing an old "traditional" folk song while making a weird "shhht, shhht," sound. He'd say it was the scratch in the record..."Gotta be authentic!"

I'm a big bluegrass fan but I can't hardly stand the "traditional" stuff; I like progressive artists like Sam Bush, and Bela Fleck and numbers of others.

I do an old song called "Mother Earth". I learned it as a slide-guitar blues from a Dave Alvin recording. However, it's a Memphis Slim tune and HE played it on the piano.....
Don't let tradition stifle your creativity.
Got to say Rory is pretty cool! Thanks
Uncle Blues is a little rough around the edges but I get the feeling he was working on getting us fired up to start talking and sharing musical styles back and forth. I don't think he was ever under the impression that this is a Blues site.

Some folks like to turn up the heat is all. Gotta take it for what it's worth.
Thanks;
I'm workin on a video for y'all.
But, I didn't meant to subject the Cigar Box Guitar to only being a blues instrument.
As far as I know, it is an American invention and blues is American music.
Skiffle, bluegrass and a lot of American folk music are based on the blues form, anyway; I, IV, V.
Mississippi John Hurt had a very distinctive style.
Charlie Patton may have preceded Robert Johnson, but i'd say most of the influential licks and especially turnarounds that you've been hearing in modern music the last 40 years can be attributed to Johnson and Elmore James. That's why I referenced those two.
There's a great trend towards traditional music comin around an it's a good thing.
Check out what Bob Dylan has been doing lately.
I am also a fan of Bela Fleck.
Keep on pickin'!
Right on Bro!
U got it.

Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
Uncle Blues is a little rough around the edges but I get the feeling he was working on getting us fired up to start talking and sharing musical styles back and forth. I don't think he was ever under the impression that this is a Blues site.

Some folks like to turn up the heat is all. Gotta take it for what it's worth.
Hi Uncle Blues
From what I have read on the net, Cigar box instruments originated in the USA around the time of the civil war.
I am Scottish, but I like a lot of American music. A lot of Bluegrass and Folk has links to Scottish and Irish music,

I have been playing a lot of Scottish and Irish melodies tonight on the CBG, sounds good to me.
I'll have to learn to film myself and get it on the Nation.

I like to watch Kenny Lee Burgess videos, that kind of blues I can listen to all day.
I am not a fan of heavy sounding blues with a lot of overdrive or disortion, Maybe I'm just getting old.

Sorry if I sounded as if I was moaning in my last reply.

Tam
...for what it's worth, Bluegrass was created (ripped off) from original American Folk music known as the High Lonesome sound. The High Lonesome sound's Godfather wasn't Bill Monroe, it was Roscoe Holcomb. American Folk music was partly created combining the sounds of the African banjo and Irish/English song lyrics. Go ask Bob Dylan or Eric Clapton who influenced them, I bet it's Roscoe and the like. I'm not a blues historian, but you can tell with most any music genre that's been developed/created in this country it's in there or can be traced back to the blues. I love people who are devoted to core music, but a funny thing happened along the way.......... Technology!!!! While CBGs are old in design, the resurgence and appeal of them has come along when pups and piezos are the thing, even the blues got electrified. By nature we want to make things better, louder, faster, etc. therefore we take liberties with the instrument and to the music itself. All I can say is keep building and keep playing, cause music makes this world a better place. Uncle Blues keep playing originals, we love ya for it. I'm done rambling now....................
I prefer an eclectic blend of Polka music, Gregorian chants and Barbershop Quartet .
But that's just me.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->