complete novice here just starting out, ive a question for all of ye! 

ive read that people convert alot of  regular guitar tabs to a 3 string cbg by dropping and substituting some chords! i know where to get chords for songs online for a regular 6 string guitar but how do i convert tabs to suit my 3 stringer?

ive zero music theory so can you explain as best you can, like explaining to a 2year old!lol

appreciate any feedback thanks!

Views: 5740

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cool. None of that's been covered here and I wondered if that's what you're after.

yes as most sites use guitar tabs instead of chords! if i was familiar with guitar playing it would be easier but to be honest CBG is my very first intrument! but so far im loving it! getting to know the notes and chords, i already can play Wild Thing, Smoke On The Water. i know easy stuff but for me i think achievement! ment to tel you im already in your course, you replied to a question on it my name is Enda Mchugh! Scruggy is my dogs name! lol

had a few issues with my cbg that needed fixing thats why i havent started with the course, but thats fixed now so guna go full steam ahead with your course prob monday i think!

ps will get beatles done by tomorrow!

You're going to learn everything by the Beatles by tomorrow?

Next up: The Compleat Works of William Shakespeare

no just Come Together! want to get the ball rolling first on a few rock tunes first before i finish of thier whole catalog! lol

internet down all weekend :-( just back now! so late in getting the Come Together tab done! hopefully done soon! anyone else try any other new songs since?

you,re gonna be busy Scruggy,but you can skip roll over beethoven and a couple of others

Scruggy is your dogs name. That is hilarious.

Take it easy on the Beatles tune if you're just starting, one thing at a time.

...set to the complete works of Mozart.

another quick question for everyone i learned how to find the key of a song but ive read conflicting things about the root, can you clarify which is right?

the root is the note of a chord on the lowest string?

another said on cbg the root is the same as the key?

ive seen chord charts for cbg where the root was the middle string!

also is the root only in individual chords of a song and not like for example the key of g for the whole song?

appreciate any feedback thanks!

The root note is the note that all of the other notes refer to (hence the name root). For this reason it's good to have it in the bass but you won't always so that's not a reliable way to find it.

The root note of the tonic chord is the same as the key but that key will have other chords, each with it's own root note, so you need to know exactly what you're looking for.

Sometimes 3 string chord charts do have the root on the middle, even the top string, that's just a fact of life given the limitations of the 3 string, it's another reason why I keep banging on about not using a 3 string for chords, but I digress.

Then you need to look at how the key or scale has a root note but so do the individual chords in that key. For example a 3 chord song with G, C and D is in the key of G so the root note of the G chord (also called the tonic chord or simply the I) is a G. The root of the C however is C (called the subdominant or the IV) and the root of the D chord is a D (dominant or V chord)

I've got a series of videos on youtube that will cover all of this more fully but you should give yourself some time to digest it properly

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy_Iln9n-YVMjt5fahMsEvuKZBOx...

thanks Patrick great videos really detailed! defo rewatch till it fully sinks in!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->