complete novice here just starting out, ive a question for all of ye! 

ive read that people convert alot of  regular guitar tabs to a 3 string cbg by dropping and substituting some chords! i know where to get chords for songs online for a regular 6 string guitar but how do i convert tabs to suit my 3 stringer?

ive zero music theory so can you explain as best you can, like explaining to a 2year old!lol

appreciate any feedback thanks!

Views: 5740

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I generally work out leads/melody by ear, but I guess if you used a tab you could just move all the notes on the bottom g string up two frets...

Can you explain that a bit more dont fully understand what you mean moving uo 2 frets! ( I know what frets are so no need to explain that part lol)

Ok. so on a standard guitar you have ADG, on a cbg you have GDG. on your standard guitar the 2nd fret on the bottom string is B. If the bottom string on your cbg is G, that's 2 semitones lower, so your B note would be 2 frets up, so the 4th fret. That make sense?
Richey means on a standard git, the middle 3 strings are tuned ADG. Further hint: map out the notes on yer fretboard. Here is a handy little bit of software:

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/group/cbgtabs/forum/topics/tab-software

And chords:

http://www.cigarbox101.com/open-tuning.html

And some 3-string tab blanks:

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/group/cbgtabs/forum/topics/3-string-t...
This seems highly doable, so correct me if I'm wrong I go online find the chords to whatever song I want, start at first chord then find the corresponding chord on http://www.cigarbox101.com/open-tuning.html and tab it out on a blank 3string tab sheet, then second chord do the same and so on?
So when the blank tab sheet is finished I've got the chords converted from 6 string to 3string?

Ps the first link won't work cos I'm on ipad is there any for a tablet or ipad?

My 2 bob's.

This is a reasonable thing to want to do, play songs on your instrument, everybody wants to do that. You may be putting the cart before the horse though Scruggy. I'm not being dismissive but I've watched this thread develop and sometimes the best advice is not what you want to hear.

The 3 string is a simple enough instrument but you still need to know how it works. It may have the word guitar in there but it's not really a guitar like the ones you're finding tabs for. You wouldn't want to transpose from guitar to violin without any knowledge of music or how the violin works and this is really the same thing. It's a bit like trying to build a house without knowing how to use a hammer.

At the end of the day I'd say you've got the same two options as everyone else. Either rely on the multitude of youtube lessons or take the time to learn how to transpose and this means understanding how music works and how to apply that to this particular instrument. At the end of the day you'll find it's not that hard and is much more rewarding anyway.

Just my take, feel free to prove me wrong but if you find you're chasing your tail....

Hmmm. Patrick is right, of course, but here's also an opportunity for a teachable moment with wider implications. Maybe Scruggy can pick one song he really wants to learn. We all then pitch in (pun intended), and walk him through the process of transposing AC / DC's Highway To Hell ( appropriate in this instance, I'm thinking) to GDG, explaining tuning, fretboard mapping, some simple music theory, playing technique and Bon Scott's eeeevilll growl. Should keep this thread alive for another week or so. Whaddaya think?

Agreed, lot's of interesting ideas have come out of it. And I like Ron's idea, happy to contribute and see what happens.

Yep, happy to give that a go.

This is starting to get exciting!!
Scruggy,

I'm on an iPad as well. Now that I know that, try ChordGenie Pro ( www.chordgenie.com ). And yes, you have the basic idea. However, let's walk through one together publicly, so other folks can also benefit from your learning experience. Pick a rock song, and we'll take it apart here, step by step.
Oh so many to choose from, the more rock songs the better so I'll start the ball rolling ACDC Jailbreak? Any takers

I myself will try to tab out a different song and upload it here so everyone can see if its correct! I'm guna try Balls To The Wall by Accept! Wish me luck!

Also I see some people just put up a few tabs for either intro or chorus I'm guna try get the whole song up start to finish!

Will try chord genie thanks!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Bill Andy yesterday. 5 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

AGP # posted photos
3 hours ago
Daniel Ackermann liked King Harvest's photo
8 hours ago
Bill Andy replied to Bill Andy's discussion Copper Hardware
"No luck"
11 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted photos
12 hours ago
Korrigan replied to Bill Andy's discussion Copper Hardware
"Google it."
12 hours ago
AGP # liked Mick Tickner's photo
13 hours ago
13 hours ago
13 hours ago
13 hours ago
13 hours ago
AGP # liked Glenn Kaiser's photo
13 hours ago
AGP # commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

On Top of Spaghetti: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

""LOL", had forgotten all about that "Littke Ditty" from days of Yore, as…"
13 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->