Hi All,

Im very new to all of this, Ive built two cigar box guitars so far.

1 x 3 string slide and a 4 string tenor with great success.

Think im hooked!

The problem I am having now is sourcing wooden cigar boxes.....

could anybody give me some ideas were I can get a supply at reasonable costs?

I'm in the UK so P&P costs are an issue....

Im also happy to trade....Im a photographer with a website maybe you may like some of my work?

I have a guitar strap that was owned by Steve howe from the band "YES"................I dont know....?

Leon

Views: 1991

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes they are so damn cool !  I agree.

thankyou for commenting.

Yep, you're quite right, Jabes. I'm a little tired and emotional tonight, my reading skills are failing me.

Yes you are right !

I am new to cigar box guitars and was expecting boxes in abundance.

My first build was with a small box 6"x 5" and it sounds incredible, will upload a sound clip soon.

Nice box! thanks for sharing.

Steve - Wow! You pay £50-£60 on wood for the neck!? What wood are you getting and how much of it for that price?

vinylhead- i think that meant all the hardware too

that's still £40 more than i've ever spent on one guit....

the wood for the neck is £8.00 a length for one neck with plenty over, i meant the whole job including parts ends up costing about £60, box, good quality pickup, electrics, fretboard and tuners included!

...though my first neck made up cost quite a bit, made in USA from Daddy Dukes, it was worth it as i'm still using it! (-:

i made one from spare parts from my man drawer and cost about £10, and a Boxstock one for £15 too. (-:

What Phrygian Kid and Anonymous Pick said: I get nice wooden boxes for US$2 each at the cigar store. They're not all CBG material - many are too small, or oddly shaped. But the price is right and all you need is a couple to keep you busy and out of the pub for a while.

Failing that, grab whatever falls to hand. My first one used a toffee tin. A friend built an outstanding "canjo" from an old petrol can. I think a plain slab of pine would work just fine, too. Not sure what Bo Diddley's Gretsch was made of - probably mahogany - but the principle is the same. Cut a rectangular slab the size of a cigar box and turn it into a guitar body.

I will trade you an awesome wooden CB for that strap. I have Cohibas and others that are perfect!

Send me a message!

Kind regards,

Pelican Guitars

Hi Don Barnhill,

Would be up for doing a trade with you. I think the strap is worth a bit more than one CB tho'

The strap is leather and has the artwork inscribed from their 1971 album "Fragile" Have included some pictures.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind Regards,

Lhos.

I do too! I guess you would have to tell me what it's worth to you. I was a big fan of Yes in the early seventies.

I have found a lot of boxes for cigar box guitars and amps here in California. Some I bought on ebay but proved way too expensive. Most I have gotten from cigar/tobacco shop owners for a few dollars each.

I find the Cohiba boxes in particular very nice to work with. As well as few others like Lost City boxes look very cool. At first I didn't know what to look for in a box but as my experience with it has grown, I look for things like lid alignment and hinge placement and overall looks.

Some boxes are more suited to building amps out of like the Acid boxes. Their lid can act as a sound baffle and allow one to tilt it back on it's lid to produce a matrix sort of sound. It's very cool! In these amps I use a Jensen MOD speaker voiced like a Marshall that's made in Spain.
I will load some photos for you.

Here are a few photos:

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Bill Andy yesterday. 5 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

AGP # posted photos
2 hours ago
Daniel Ackermann liked King Harvest's photo
7 hours ago
Bill Andy replied to Bill Andy's discussion Copper Hardware
"No luck"
10 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted photos
11 hours ago
Korrigan replied to Bill Andy's discussion Copper Hardware
"Google it."
11 hours ago
AGP # liked Mick Tickner's photo
12 hours ago
12 hours ago
12 hours ago
12 hours ago
12 hours ago
AGP # liked Glenn Kaiser's photo
12 hours ago
AGP # commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

On Top of Spaghetti: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

""LOL", had forgotten all about that "Littke Ditty" from days of Yore, as…"
12 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->