Book in the Works: "The Art of the Cigar Box Guitar"--Help me write my book.

Hi, I'm David Sutton and I'm writing a book which is tentatively titled "The Art of the Cigar Box Guitar" for Fox Chapel Publishing. Fox Chapel publishes books about woodworking primarily but they're branching out a bit.

I'm looking for short (1 sentence to two paragraphs?) comments from clubhouse builders on the subject of what building and/or playing cigar box guitars means to you, what has it brought to your life and why you do it?

Be advised that I intend to publish some of these comments, so whatever you write could end up published. If you post here you are implying permission for me to use the quotes.

You may choose to identify yourself by name or by initials, just let me know what your preference would be.

If you have any questions let me know, and if you'd like a solid reference talk to Diane in Chicago. Please tell your friends if you think they might have something to say.

Views: 624

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In a world filled with high-teck souless devices we build low-teck and soulful insterments.

We breath life into junk and give it a voice to sing to others hearts.

For me there is no greater thrill than that first strum of a CBG that was built by my own hand.

One man's junk is another man's Cigar Box Guitar.

The problems of the world today can be solved with the music of yesterday.
Is this going to be more of a coffee table style book or like some of their other informational step by step manuals?

I am by no means a professional builder. I found out about the whole subject only 7 years ago, via newspaper that was advertising an art show on the instrument. I have since found that I like to take a long time thinking on the shape, color, size, and plain ole look of the guitar. I think about my movements shaving the neck for the shape I want it to have and how I need to cut into the headstock. I do not install frets, I have found that by doing so I feel more free to play with the sound of the instrument without being confined by what is typical or normal playing. Also it seems to be more work than I want to do. I like a low string height, no higher than 1/6". It has proven affective for me to leave the bridge floating, where as it is not glued down, to allow for adjustments if needed. I prefer acoustic builds, but I am also thinking I might do my first Piezoelectric build. I enjoy playing punk style and noise (minimalist), but I try the blues as well; not any particular variety. All in all it is a good hobby and it keeps me active and thinking, and playing music on an inexpensive instrument that can sound good. Usually the build's cost is under $20.
-Colin Mcgrath
from (the tentatively called) Cigar Rath Guitars.
The cigar box guitar is a physical manifestation that begins as a single thought. A tremendous amount of passion is infused into it. It is a sculpture that can produce music. It is a vehicle that allows me to connect to the very roots of the music of this country. When I play my 3 string cigar box guitar or one of the one string diddly bows I built, it transports me back in time. To a place where all you needed was a stick of wood, some wire and maybe an old cigar box to make music, real music. The experience of building and playing a cigar box guitar has brought me great joy and a better understanding and appreciation for the early music of our country and the men who made it.
Funtional art.
Very poetically put :o)

Shawn said:
In a world filled with high-teck souless devices we build low-teck and soulful insterments.

We breath life into junk and give it a voice to sing to others hearts.

For me there is no greater thrill than that first strum of a CBG that was built by my own hand.

One man's junk is another man's Cigar Box Guitar.

The problems of the world today can be solved with the music of yesterday.
If you’re a builder, a player or just a member, Cigar Box Nation is like a brotherhood every body is willing to help you succeed.
There are so many different ways to build and play a cigar box guitar you can’t help but be inspired buy what you see and read on Cigar Box Nation,
Playing an instrument I built gives me much more satisfaction than playing one I bought, it’s something almost anyone can do it just takes a few tools a little research and light woodworking skills.
I was a below average woodworker when I started this hobby and not much has changed but a year and a half later I have now built 6 guitars and 4 amps.
Personally I consider it to be an art form and at the same time a form of self-expression. The thing I like most is that there’s no right or wrong way to play it or build it, like everyone says (there are no rules). It’s an obsession that gets into your blood and won’t go away.
I’ve always had an interest in making my own guitar, now thanks to Cigar Box Nation and it’s members I can scratch one off the bucket list.

Tom Caneschi AKA TC
i LOVE this, Tom, thanks.

Tom Caneschi aka TC said:
If you’re a builder, a player or just a member, Cigar Box Nation is like a brotherhood every body is willing to help you succeed.
There are so many different ways to build and play a cigar box guitar you can’t help but be inspired buy what you see and read on Cigar Box Nation,
Playing an instrument I built gives me much more satisfaction than playing one I bought, it’s something almost anyone can do it just takes a few tools a little research and light woodworking skills.
I was a below average woodworker when I started this hobby and not much has changed but a year and a half later I have now built 6 guitars and 4 amps.
Personally I consider it to be an art form and at the same time a form of self-expression. The thing I like most is that there’s no right or wrong way to play it or build it, like everyone says (there are no rules). It’s an obsession that gets into your blood and won’t go away.
I’ve always had an interest in making my own guitar, now thanks to Cigar Box Nation and it’s members I can scratch one off the bucket list.

Tom Caneschi AKA TC
My name is Shane Speal and...um... I'm a cigar box guitar addict.

***everyone: Hi Shane!***

My descent into "the madness" was quick. I built my first, a simple Swisher Sweets job and played it for a year. Then I had to build another. Then another. Eventually, I couldn't stop. I had to play more...build more...buy more...

***everyone: we understand, Shane. We're not here to judge you***
Building or playing a cigar box guitar can be sneakily addictive. I don't think anyone thinks when they build their first one, that they will ever build another one. But they build the first one, make their mistakes, and discover how easy it can be. They look at the one they built, and they think to themselves, “That little mistake right there is easy to correct. I should just build another one.” So they build a second one, and then a third one. And before they know it, they can no longer count how many they have built. As their building skills improve, so does their playing, even if they couldn't play a stringed instrument before. Before long, they are playing complete songs in spite of not knowing anything about music.

The tinkering aspect is what appeals to me the most. I look at the process of creating an instrument from a “gadget” perspective. Each cigar box is different, and presents different challenges to the builder. The sheer number of possible components makes it easy to make each guitar completely different. I find that it is difficult to make any two guitars the same, even if I try. “What can I use for a bridge? How about this door hinge for a tailpiece?” A trip down the aisle at the home improvement store turns into a CBG parts locating expedition.

And when you complete your instrument, and you string it up, and you strum your first chord, those first notes that come from your creation make it all worth while. The satisfaction derived from building your own instrument is unique. And then, your friends and family see the guitars you have built. The first time one of them picks up your CBG and plucks at it, and smiles, you yourself can't help but smile.

And smiles is what makes life bearable.

You are right on with the concept of seeing a mistake, then trying to correct it with the next build.  It is what drives me, and why I am always thinking three builds ahead.

Building cigar box guitars is very addicting. I'm working on the seventh build since discovering cigar box guitars nine months ago. It is a study in seat-of-the-pants engineering, creativity, scrounging, making do, anticipation, and gratification. But the biggest rush (and addiction) to me is watching people's faces when they see a cigar box guitar for the first time. It seems that people go through three distinct phases: the "What the heck is that thing?" phase, the " oh, but I'll bet it sounds like c**p." phase, and finally, when they hear some good solid licks played on it, the "I'll be doggone!!" phase. I'll NEVER get tired of watching the realization set in for people when the CBG proves itself to be a real instrument capable of some fine music. - Mike Bingham
Well. It's no longer in the works! It's a book, and it's out there and it's for sale. Did I mention that
 it's beautiful? Let me say so myself…

It's actually titled, simply, Cigar Box Guitars.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. liked Gary O'slide's video
2 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Poorness Studios's video
2 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked Dogleg Steve's video
4 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked Dogleg Steve's video
4 hours ago
Gary O'slide posted videos
4 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

David Bowie's Space Oddity (covered on guitar & Stylophone)

"Nice ly done Kale olthow whit verry minimal typecal Space odity effects, i know it was your Bowie…"
4 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted a status
"Hey - I came runner up top 10 of the 2023 4th annual international CBG video playoffs!"
5 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted videos
5 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

"Wow! Well done Kale. Nailed it!!! You really captured the essence of the song and it’s…"
6 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted a status
6 hours ago
Poorness Studios posted a video

I've been meaning to do a cover of this since I got my David Bowie Stylophone last Christmas. This song is outside my vocal range and difficult to sing, but ...
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Thank you Keith for standing at the crossroads whit me for a while ! appriciated !"
8 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->