Hi All,

I noticed I didn't see a general discussion or question category so I decided to post here.

Basically, I am in the market to purchase my first CBG. And upon doing some surfing I realize there is a TON of options to choose from. Im leaning toward a 3 stringer. The part Im getting a bit confused on is the tone. My first audio impression of a CBG was on the Red Dog Guitars sight. He had a video of him playing a 3 string that sounded so haunting and infectious that is what initially got me hooked on wanting a CBG. However I also LOVE the dirty gritty sound. So I'm trying to figure out what gets me the sounds I want. Single coil, or pizio? Also if anyone can recommend a certain builder or type I should be looking into. Yea, I know this is the build thread section, but I just figured it was my best option. Any bit will help. Thanks a ton

Adam

Views: 1470

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would be glad to sell you one of mine, all 3 string fretless with piezo. I might add that the sound you hear from some of the great players out there is more in the player than the instrument. If at all interested i would be glad to answer any questions on my CBG's. 

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Squier?section_id=7120477

There's truth in this, but it goes both ways. If a guys not an accomplished player how does he even know of his builds stack up?? I wouldn't buy one off someone who can't make It sound like you wanna sound..

Hey Adam, I build AND play my boxes out at live shows, been playin' as a band for four years, we are called The Budrows and play 100% foot stompin' cigar box rock n' roll. Check us out here on the nation or on Facebook.

As for guitars, I keep mine raw, three or four stringers, some piezo, some single coil,...they all sound different and they all sound cool.

www.soundboxguitars.com

or on Facebook as well, www.facebook.com/soundboxguitars.

good luck on you quest, whatever you end up with will be fun for sure.

Jason.

I must say Jason, I really dig the box designs . And your band fucking throws down! Totally into it! I would love to get something like that started up once I become a good player

It would definitely be nice to have multiple pick ups with a switch to get a full range of tones. I will definitely check out all the builders who have sent me there info. Its a lot  of stuff to take in. To think I thought there was tons of choices even BEFORE I joined these forums haha. And trust me , I appreciate the help. Its amazing that an instrument so grass roots and simple has such a dedicated following. Cant wait till I finally get one and am able to throw down some dirty jams

your best bet  is to mess around with a guitar .. see what you like    and    what  works for you  . don't discount  fretless  guitars   or guitars  built for slide only .  slide may be  your  calling .  many  players  and early builders that  started this  thing  in  depression era   times    used     just  that  , and became   masters at it .

if you  can't    finger  strings  properly  or cant seem to  grasp  frets  chords   etc ..    ,,  slide  may work  for you .

some builders  bash    slide  guitars  and  slide builders , siting   the" builder;'s  limitations " ..  this  is not always  the case   ..  a slide  guitar  is  usualy built for a  *player's limitations , or   their specialty .

i  would practice  on a cheap  accustic  guitar before you  buy something   of value  ..  see  what  you can do  and like doing  ,,  then  buy a guitar for that   purpose  and style   of playing  .

fretted   with  a  higher action   may be  what you are looking for   so  you can do  both .

"then"    listen to  the sound of  a  guitar when you are buying  it . ....  it  may even  pick  you ;-)

You should definatly test drive the instrument. I would be willing to send a basic build to test drive if we could work out the matter of postage. That would get you a couple of weeks to fall in love with it. If you decide its not what your after send it back

Hey, Still looking to make a jump on my first CBG purchase. Have seen a few made by BluesFuzzy. Love the tone of almost all his stuff. Anyone got any feedback on his work?

why don't you check him on Angie list ????

You obviously aren't serious. His name is actually Fuzzy Whitener. Builds seem nice. Just wanted to see if anyone was farmiliar with his work

i seen this mans work many times my self! in my own research i did on youtube when i was looking to build my guitars, you have seen his work , he builds damn fine guitars and they sound awesome, so buy one !!!

Im workin on it. Was possibly considering having somthing custom built since I cant seem to make up my mind as far as pick ups and style . I know Im researching to death, but I want to love it ya know. Hoping for that bond with it.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->