Please post pictures of your contest submissions here. Be sure to include any pertinent information about your instrument that you think others, including the judges, would enjoy knowing.

*** NOTE ***

When the submission period ends on 12/31, I will be deleting all comments from users that are posted in this thread. To make it easier on the judges, this thread needs to end up with just the posts from the contestants. It makes it difficult for the judges if they have to wade through scores of pages of posts to find the actual entries.

Feel free to post away, just know that this thread will be cleaned up once the submission period is over.

Good luck and good building!!!

Views: 7601

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Zombie in a Box

They're coming to get you Barbara. Busting out of his coffin this zombies hungry. Having a dust diet for the last 60 years has him down to the bone. His last bed for a dirt nap is a well made Cohiba Cigar Box. Maple and pinehandles are on both sides for pall bearers to hold while planting this solid cedar box. The skeletal remains are all hand carved from poplar with welding wire joints in the hands. The nut and cross bridge are maple, with a 25" scale arm. Banjo tuners at the top and a maple tailpiece at the end hold his three tendons in place. Tuned to open D(for dead) this reanimated creature screams. (I had 2 ideas so I built both and let the family help me choose which one to enter. I will post the other after the contest ends.)

Here is my entry into this Guitar Contest.

" Pale Man " from Pan's Labyrinth is a Monster of Nightmare proportion.

This is a 24 fret Rock Hard Maple Neck 4 string CBG.

The hands are made from white common pine, as is the face.

I used a water slide decal to cover the face, as are the faeries on the back of the

neck.

The Nut and Bridge are made from Elk Antlers.

The Tail piece is cut from a broken cymbal.

Video and music to follow.

CBG BUILDERS CHALLENGE

"FAMOUS MONSTERS"

C.B. GUITARSKI

I've gotta say I have really enjoyed this build. It has inspired me to try several new things including painting a cbg, using a tuna can for a reso (sounds way cooler than I thought it would), and just going for it when your afraid you will mess it up. So thank you everyone involved for all you have done to make this build off possible.

Unfortunately my camera does not capture the color and detail well but here it is!

Rock Maple Neck

JFR Nice n Deep Box

Starkis Tuna Resonator

Pain I acquired awhile ago (oddly closest match I could find)

Walnut accent pieces

Bone blank nut

Aluminum/Wood bridge

20" short scale sounds awesome with the resonator

Hardware and electronics from  C.B.Gitty Crafter Supply

Thank You

for this opportunity!

I hope you figured this out by now But its Mike Wazowski from Monsters inc Probably should have put that in the text.. 

Entry by Graeme Peatfield, England

My competition CBG is a fretless slide guitar based on the monster shark ‘Jaws’.  Research was via the Cigar Box Nation website.  Resources: a ‘Recuerdo de las Isla Canarias Souvenir’ cigar box for a presentation fourteen inch cigar given by a relative. Original large bass machine heads gave more scope for hand piercing the fish to exaggerate the shark’s size.  Tubular gills cut like organ pipes for sound holes, golf ball eye, four recycled water bottle bases glued for two barrels, oak neck, Martin Strings, tope shark hook, washing line strap, and then there was the nut!!! Three human teeth mounted in a chopstick, flanked by two dog’s teeth (at this point my wife had, yet again, a look of despair tinged with sadness!). 

Attachments:

2012 MONSTER Contest Entry

Inspired by the Giant Octopus in "20,000 leagues Under The Sea"

A Harp Fiddle designed with treasure chest style cigar box body and a tentacle rising from black waters and lashed to the side as its harp. The instrument is designed to be bowed and plucked as the player sees fit. It rests comfortably from shoulder to elbow when held.

The Harp Tentacle:

A hand carved mahogany arm with 20 poplar suckers. The color comes from applied mahogany oil stain and it's finished with nitrocellulose lacquer that was applied very thick to create layers of bubbly "slime", wet look slick spots, and dimensional drips across the piece. The strings are mounted with Zither pins and attach into a hand carved rosewood bridge on the fiddle body side with ebony pins. The 6 harp strings are tuned (F#, B, C, F, D#, B).

The Fiddle:

A LaSirena King Poseidon Cigar Box shaped like a treasure chest with holes in it the size of the tentacle suckers. It has a rosewood pinned tailpiece, ebony bridge pins, maple bridge, sapele neck, ebony fingerboard, and matched ebony head plate. There are Abalone inlays on the neck, a bone nut, and zither pin tuners. The bow is hand carved from rosewood and strung with natural horsehair. It is notched at the tip and secures with an ebony bridge pin in the handle. The 4 violin strings are tuned (G, D, A, E).

The only wood pieces not hand made on the instrument are the maple bridge and the ebony bridge pins. The whole piece sits on top of a hand carved mahogany base that has black oil stain for the finish.

The contest submission period is now closed!

Good Luck to everyone~~~

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

All You Got to do is put your Mind to it ! BCB - A .D .Eker 2024

"    You can Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd !!"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

All You Got to do is put your Mind to it ! BCB - A .D .Eker 2024

a Tribute to the Great lyricist Roger Miller ,a adapted version of the Tune " You cant Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd " whit the refrein , on a four string c...
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

BCB Folding Backpacker 21,5 inch Scale

"Thank you all for the Like on the Picture ! appreciated !"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER left a comment for Order99
"Thanks Order 99 for your take on the Tracks ! Glad you liked them ! much appreciated ! Kind…"
1 hour ago
Order99 liked Doug Thorsvik's video
6 hours ago
Order99 liked Gary O'slide's video
6 hours ago
Order99 liked Dar Stellabotta's video
6 hours ago
Order99 liked Glenn Kaiser's video
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
Order99 liked A.D.EKER's video
6 hours ago
6 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->