OK so it seems that Wayfinder started something that may have started something that didn't set well with everyone.

So I submit to you, I challenge you to a comparison photo dicussion.

Post your photos of of your most "down to basics" CBG and also your best built "New Fangled" CBG and then let the comments come in.

Give us the description of how each was built, and how you feel it sounds, in your own opinion. If you have a video of the git being played post that as well.

There are only TWO Rules.

Rule # 1. Post only photos and videos of your own builds.

Rule # 2. There are no rules on what's considered "grass roots" or "New Fangled"

Now, Let the fun begin.......

Views: 2431

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well said my friend!

I'll play.  

I've made simpler guitars, but this one best represents my "traditional" take while offering a lot of guitar.  I called this one "The Old Hand" and it had very simple construction using a Padron box, an original Flatpup, and a Mojobone rod piezo bridge.  I used tacks to guide the strings over a zero fret.

Here's my most advanced, new fangled thing.  And maybe that label doesn't fit.  I guess it isn't much different on the inside.  A Thinbucker pickup and Mojobone Works rod piezo biscuit.  This one has a Lowe Cone for the resonator.  I didn't bother with a switch on this one and opted for independent pickup jacks.  However, there was a lot more precision in the construction and set up.  I love playing this guitar acoustic and plugged in.

I only build the guitars I want to make and only listen to what's in my head when I want to make them.  It makes me a commercial failure, but I'm only doing this for me anyway.

I like em both. I also only build what I want and when I want. If I wind up selling them, people are gonna have to want to buy something "different", cause that's what I make.

I'm with you on that Frog. What I build is what I want to build.  The few that I have built for specific people have been done "as I felt like building them", not to any requested build.  The specific request from my first "contracted build" was that I build it how I wanted to with no design criteria other than they preferred a "pretty box".

My guitars are like me, One of A Kind.....

As they should be.

I think the most basic build would be Build 1: A three string slider with a piezo pickup.

The Punch box is large and all wood. It resonates well and sounds good with just the piezo and a tone control.

The most "new fangled" build would depend on your definition of New Fangled. The most complex build to date is a traditional 0 sized resonator. It involved steaming and bending wood, making a sound well and figuring out how to get a box baffled correctly. If that's New Fangled, then it qualifies.

I will accept #2 as new fangled. Very nice looking git.

I like the basic as well. Thanks for joining the discussion

Thanks.

The basic is still a favorite player...........

Thanks Wayfinder. Not sure how I even got started on this thing. Just curious about how hard bending would might be and the next thing I knew, I was knee deep in another project. It's odd how that seems to happen.

I like your answer. It's easier than what I did.

I built this rig using PVC from HD. A cooking thermometer I snagged from the kitchen and a steam cleaning pot we bought years ago to clean grout with.

I soaked the wood in water for 24 hours prior to steaming, then let her steam away for about 30 minutes. The temperature reached the full 214 degrees. When I pulled the pieces out, I used some heavy gloves and immediately clamped the piece to a form.

Let it sit in the form for 24 hours just to be sure, then transferred to a building mold that held pieces in proper place for gluing.

It was a very interesting project with many "Don't screw this up" moments. I really enjoyed the process.

Amazing how they take on a life of their own. :)>

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->