OK so it seems that Wayfinder started something that may have started something that didn't set well with everyone.

So I submit to you, I challenge you to a comparison photo dicussion.

Post your photos of of your most "down to basics" CBG and also your best built "New Fangled" CBG and then let the comments come in.

Give us the description of how each was built, and how you feel it sounds, in your own opinion. If you have a video of the git being played post that as well.

There are only TWO Rules.

Rule # 1. Post only photos and videos of your own builds.

Rule # 2. There are no rules on what's considered "grass roots" or "New Fangled"

Now, Let the fun begin.......

Views: 2431

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You should have asked for that for christmas. I'm sure the Nation would all have chipped in.

:)  Too fricken late now, Frog.  Maybe for my birthday.

Don't forget the mother of pearl inlays.

Thanks, Duck.  I nearly forgot.

ha,mine are pencil or sharpie!lol! : )

Fine point Sharpies are great for fret lines.

The first is my "half hour bo" ,built in half an hour,violin peg tuner,brass wood screw nut,set screw bridge,broom shank neck and a cigar box.Can't get more basic.

The second is the other extreme.Used the best materials I could lay my hands on,mahogany neck,ebony fingerboard with maple/ebony/maple edges,american walnut back and sides,fan strutted western red cedar front with home made sound hole rosette.Ebony bridge.The box has ebony/maple bindings with b/w/b/w purfling around the front to match the purfling used in the rosette                                                                 Over the top or what !! It has the best acoustic sound of any CBG(?) I've built. 

The tones in the wood finish of number 2 are stunning.  That's just a lovely thing - the fact that it sounds good is a bonus !

You put some work into that one and it looks great.

The didley I posted was also a 1/2 hour one. Love the quick simplicity of it. Nice work on yours.

#2 is beautiful. That is some fine looking craftmanship.

Diddley bows are great fun. Your #2 is over the top beautiful. Nicely done.

It seems to me that if the people from the good old day's had access to what we do now they would have used it to. To try and set rules and define what a Cigar Box Guitar is old school or new is just going to cause a lot of indigestion.  My definition of a Cigar Box Guitar.  FUN & SATISFYING and who cares how it's made.

Anything I can put together that makes music even half decently is kind of a personal miracle and that is great for the soul.  When you get down to it that's why the original cigar box guitars were made.  So people could have a little music for the soul during some very hard times.  

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->