My thoughts and opinions as I drink my second PBR with spicy hot V8 juice.   PBR and spicy hot V8 juice.  Cheap and good.  Like CBGs. 

I see a decline in the numbers of videos and photos posted on CBN.   Is interest decreasing?  

I have a shit-load of opinions on this, but right now, I want to hear what you think.  What is the state of the CBG world and where is it going?

John

Views: 7794

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I know different people like different things. I was just stating an opinion, (fully aware I might be in the minority), and clarifying why I personally thought some of the main attractions were a let down for me personally, while a few little kids stole the show.

Reminded me in a way of a Blues festival I was at some years ago, some pretty good stuff. And then a young man of about 15 came out and just melted the whole scene. Jonny Lang. Never forget it.

Oops, Bens reply came and went just like that.... LOL!

Its OK folks, I can take it. And my comments were not intended as mean or bitter, just my opinion in my matter of fact style. Go ahead and roast me, I can take the heat.

Mark, I removed that comment after a couple of minutes because on reflection I realized that it did not add anything meaningful or useful to the discussion.

Its all cool Ben, I just realized I had responded in part to a post that had disappeared.

Mark,

Thanks for the clarification. I don't disagree with anything you've said. Listening to mainstream popular music can definitely be an exercise in frustration or disgust. And, we all like what we like, which may not float anyone else's boat. Some of what you're experiencing, I suspect, is that you've been exposed to a fairly large number of genres, where things have been played innovatively, for the first time, by several now-known-to-be greats. Anyone else following is an imitator. And we always seek novelty. Plus, as we age, we tend to denigrate "the new" as not approaching the quality of "the old" (which was new when we first heard it). No roasting necessary. It's all good. Variety is the spice of life, and several other tired cliches can be applied here.

Thanks Ron

"Some of what you're experiencing, I suspect, is that you've been exposed to a fairly large number of genres, where things have been played innovatively, for the first time, by several now-known-to-be greats"

This is largely true. Being an avid music fan for about five decades, and being brought up in an environment of listening to "the classics" of multiple genres from several previous decades to that has presented me with the opportunity to experience an unusual amount of "new" and a diverse mix of innovation during an amazing period. I really do recognize and appreciate that.

Many of the "imitators" have brought their own flavor as well though. And while we may seek novelty, there is much to study and learn about what exactly it is that makes the great stuff work.

As far as "denigrating the new" I have long had the sense that some very powerful talent is always right there, it just takes a little extra effort to find it and experience it. The sad truth that most of those talented people will never be heard in the main stream has always troubled me, and with the direction the industry has headed in, this now appears far worse than ever. There is actually some REALLY amazing and pleasant stuff, its just well outside the mainstream. What's being fed to the masses is all about everything but the music itself.

I play, but I am not much of a performer. Wish I could be, but alas its not to be. Time has never allowed that to happen and now that my hands are stiff, aged and well, damaged, I have to accept its never to be. I enjoy music very much, and enjoy being in a situation where I can expand my collection of instruments, fiddle around, build and repair when time allows, this part is very good. I have devoted a huge amount of time and effort in the last decade into studying music. Theory, style, genre, technique, you name it. Trying to get a handle on what it is all about and drilling down, defining what it is that I like and why. Example: Previously, I never much cared for piano. Studying advanced music theory made me really appreciate what the things all about. I can't play it much but have learned to use it as a tool to learn, teach and communicate about musical concepts and ideas. 

But I think studying music production itself has had the most impact of all on me. Being more aware of what's really going on, and many hours of critical listening has really opened my eyes (and ears!)

Oh boy I am rambling. What was the subject again? LOL!

Uncle John, could you pass the tomato juice please?

Help your self, Mark.  :)

Ron, I like them all, including the covers. However, when casting my vote for the venue which is 1 of 3 coordinators. I tend to lean toward the garage band or spontaneous adventure into the unknown. I'm an advocate for no rules in style or Genre. The quality of performance doesn't have to be Columbia house material for the short period slotted for open mic -having said that, while many of us enjoy open mic, I also realize the paid entertainers draw the crowd and this is simply good business for our sponsor at the roadhouse.

I hope visitors of other countries come share their style and language or accent to the music.

Cuban, German, French or Jamaican Yeah or whatever!

I understand Mark completely and I find myself looking for a good pair of ear plugs every now and then but that's the price I'm willing to pay for unchaining the status quo.

Oily, that would make a great thread all by itself.

Awesome post Mark Bliss.

Got me my 1st Wah Cause the Blue rat! I feel a jam coming on!

By the way, I really enjoy you guys sharing you ideas open and honest. Much appreciated!

Mark, Dog, Oily,

GREAT points imho. Just great points. Big world, lots of personal tastes, the mix is what keeps it interesting. The song indeed comes first but even that takes time to figure so one can choose the songs, not try to cover with production or just perform your way through trite and forgettable material. All of us get stretched re. patience for the novice who (we have all been or will be unless we're just dead or too intimidated to grow and try new things) has to start somewhere. I love the mix. Gumbo. But like all of us, sometimes I lean "gourmet" too.

Grace. -Glenn

Thanks.

Grace indeed Glenn. Its not just for dinner.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->