My thoughts and opinions as I drink my second PBR with spicy hot V8 juice.   PBR and spicy hot V8 juice.  Cheap and good.  Like CBGs. 

I see a decline in the numbers of videos and photos posted on CBN.   Is interest decreasing?  

I have a shit-load of opinions on this, but right now, I want to hear what you think.  What is the state of the CBG world and where is it going?

John

Views: 7794

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Strat HATER!   (Kidding).   I like em all and play a bunch of em.   Just none of em as well as I'd like!

Unc, Ron and Matt,

I hear you all and agree. For me it's the challenge of trying to truly come up with a great bit of songwriting or doing a cover of someone else's song -well-. It's the song first. Then the performance of that song (including arrangement and such). Doing it with 6 strings (for me) feels like cheating, but as a teaching tool (Unc and Ron) 1, 2 or 3 strings are simply easier to wrap one's mind around than 6. Further (and please don't hear me "elitist" on this point!!!) put a distortion pedal and reverb in there and most anyone sounds pretty cool. Do it clean or clean-er and it's another world. Ditto 6 to 3 or less strings. I'm not saying it's lesser, just simpler and in one sense easier, in another more difficult if you've been blowing through 4 pedals and Marshalls for years as many have. So on both ends of the spectrum a cbg takes you into fresh and I think often inspiring territory. I own a load of 'em, also a load of Les Pauls, Strats, Dano, Teisco, sweet one-off brilliant gits made for me by several gifted git makers... and play my cbg's more than all of 'em. I still play the sweet "normal" gits, but my Dobro Duolian mostly sits in it's case. Matt- I think it -is- the vibe they want sometimes. And yes, tone is in the heart and hands even more than the instrument or amp. Great amps, distortion and effects pedals cover a multitude of sins... heh... which is why I use 'em less... it forces me to think great songs, great playing, heart-and-feel. After some 37 or so records it's a great inspiration to get there on very simple gits and force my own growth in these other areas due to them. -Glenn

It IS about the song.   I love story songs especially.   And for my own playing, I like to keep it simple and honest and feel the song.  

You know, this CBG and music thing is pretty wide world. 

Glenn,

Yep, effects are kewl, when used for...effect. And we've all used 'em as sonic whitewash. Your comment about heart and feel hits home. I play with waaaay more feeling, even abandon, due to CBGs. It's great having enough technical chops to do almost anything you want on a fretboard (not that I do), and many people are impressed with fast widdley, but soul sells the song. The CBG has forced me, simultaneously, to think about music more, and yet allowed me to feel the music more, putting that feeling through my fingers. I just wish this had occurred 40 years ago ;-). BTW, discography? PM me if you want so we don't clutter up UJ's thread.

Oops, nemmind, I found it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Kaiser

Gees, I looked at that link!   I knew Glenn was doing good things, but did not know he'd done so much!

One think I would say is there doesn't appear to be anything
Near london for CBGers. Our nearest venue was Cambridge.
Or kent sometimes.
Surely there must be market for a near London venue?
I have had the bug since 2009 after being shown a seasick steve video
Playing a Didley bow.
It got me and thinks have never been the same since.
But we could do with a near london event or venue.
As I recon CBG's don't seem to have hit the smog yet?
Anyone know of anything going down?

Buggy! Mark it in your diary, Sat 23rd Aug (Bank Hol), Barrelhouse'14 at Elstead (GU8 6DU). I seem to recall you couldn't make it last year. Maybe this? And bring yer guits! I should get the latest poster out next week and I'll post it on the events wall too.

I think the 3,700 replies tells you something about the our obsession. Methinks reports of it's death have been greatly exaggerated!

Naw, it's just the same 15 people viewing it 250 times each >:-E

Still a mighty bunch to be reckoned with, Ron! ;-0

Naw, we're catholic in our tastes. You're welcome. Wish I could join y'all for the fest. One day, I'll make it back to England with a CBG in hand. Save a decent pint for me.

Will hold ya to that. Yer pint's reserved!

yes Barrelhouse was amazing last year, big marquee, a large stage cluttered with gear, real ale and an appreciative crowd, get yerself there bug! (-;

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->