Show us that special place you go to build your creations. It may be small it may be large but it has the vibe to get you going

Views: 3631

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Attached is a photo of my workspace in my living room on a glass coffee table. In the upper left is my first build, CBG#1. Not pictured is CBG#2, a diddelybow built for my two year old granddaughter. In the upper right is CBG#3, a proto type trying out some ideas to fix the mistakes of CBG#1. The two works in progress toward the front of the table are CBGs #4 & #5 based on my proto type. My machinery is in the cellar with all the dust and shavings. The other photo is of the finished CBG#5 along with a matching amp. Keep picking and enjoy the CBG obsession. Thank you GITTY for the excellent hardware.

My"shop" is the galley of my sailboat, where I live.  I guess it is about 5' x5'.  My power tools are limited.  Cordless drill, belt sander, router, worm drive Skillsaw, and a few more.  I do a lot with pull saws, coping saws, spoke shave, block plane, etc.  You can do some very nice cuts with the pull saws if you are careful.  I can make finger joints with my router and a jig I designed and built.  I also made a "fretboard copying jig"  whick makes cutting fret slots a breeze (hand sawn).

For a "table saw" I also have a clamping jig, guide and worm drive with a fine blade.  It is limited in the size of wood I can cut due to the size of my galley and "workbench" (a piece of plywood on top of my ice box.).  I occasionally take pieces to where they are building a tall ship.  I can use their table saw, drill press, band saws, jointer, thickness planer, chop saw,  etc., but I try to keep it at a minimum.

Here are some photos.  The guitars have "boat made" boxes.  Most are finger jointed.    

It looks like you do excellent work for the limited space and tools that you have. Primal is cool.

Thanks Joseph.  And I like your matching guitar and amp very much.

Right now I am cutting the scarf joints for 4 uke necks by hand.  Ugh.

Gary

This where i do the most damage

I moved my shop last Winter.  The old shop was maybe 5 square feet...the galley of my 36' sailboat, actually, the top of the ice box.  The new shop is the converted laundry room in a house I bought near Sacramento.  It is 90' sq.  Still too small!  I put the washer outside on the patio.  I keep the table saw in the garage and may move the cut off saw to there also.  The first 3 photos are the boat galley, the last is the laundry room.  I built a bed over the workbench because I stay overnight there often.  I call it my micro owners suite/shop. 

Shawn,

Not sure if the workshop w/ the vertical slide out tool racks is your shop or not, but do you know who manufactures the slideouts?

Thanks,

Brad

This

Back to building

Makes

Maddness

my "wood butchering" room

My space is in a basement garage,cramped and cluttered.
Attachments:
I had that for many years making knives in fact most of the time if it rained i was done rusted tools and all it dont matter how much space as much as how you use it.. funny thing more space didnt make them any better either:)
Oh and btw im in fla we call rain liquid sunshine you can just count on it;)

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->