I ran across an instrument called a stroh violin. it is like a violin with no resonating body. Instead it had a resonator and a horn attached to the bridge. A good site with photos is
http://www.notecannons.com/index.html look under STROVIOLS on the left around 4/5 the way down. Here are a couple of pics from the page.

The second pic shows very well how the resonator is attached to the bridge. This is more of a Stroh-guitar then a violin.

I wish I could hear this setup on a CBG, or a diddley bow!!

Views: 3397

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

nice idea!

Michael Carnright said:

I think what could be wild would be to get an old speaker like from a stereo, remove the coil and magnet and connect the sound cone to the bar-bridge arrangement. I think It might sound pretty good. Same principle but with a paper cone and no horn instead of a metal cone and a horn.

Old Lowe said:
I saw these a long time ago and I have wanted one ever since never seen a guitar version only fiddles.

mee 2

Roosterman said:

That is awesome! Il be in the shed....

Glad to hear someone is taking this project on. I talked about it a while back. Here are more pics.

http://www.notecannons.com/index.html 

I look forward to seeing and hearing your discoveries. Enjoy your build, Keni Lee

Scroll down on the left side and click Stroviols

I'm glad to see this old thread (nearly three years old!) revived. Its reminded me of the whole "whacking a horn in the side of a box" dillema. Would a horn that is not in contact with the bridge do much (or anything) for the tone or volume?

Here's a really inexpensive Stroh-type I found a while back while idly surfing:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Reclaimers-Stick-Fiddle/

I think what really makes it work is the 'rocking bridge' design feeding directly into the styrofoam or paper 'horn'...I wonder if anybody in that band tried a tin can or bicycle horn on on one of those yet?

Think something like a tone arm on a turntable and you will have the idea, well if you are old enough to remember what a record is, Wheeeehew next somebody will tell me it is like winding watch whatever that is.

More like the really old jobs with the horn and the dog. Now even I don't know what I am talking about, you will need some dead clown tools to build it. Love to see it when it is finished.

Cheers Ron

It`s all in the resonator diaphram that makes the cool sound plus having the horn to push that sound out. I`ve been researching this for awhile now even back the 3 years ago when the idea first came up. The original Stroh has a patent on the design [ 1902 ]. Inside the resonator diaphram there`s a thin piece of meca which acts like a huge kazoo when the vibration of the strings pass down through the metal bridge connected to a bolt that connects the resonator together. Then the sound comes out the horn, some variations on the Stroh used more then one horn. I`ve also seen where the resonator diaphram was enclosed in the wood frame of the instrument, which might help with condensing the sound  better. I`m thinkin 2 small alum. pot lids with some kind of disc in the middle to act as the diaphram might work for the resonator. Barefoot Cajun suggested to me that a model A ford horn might work as the diaphram and with the horn already connected. I even researched violin luthiers looking for parts for a Stroh for the resonator diaphram...no luck. So who ever gives this idea a try i wish them all the luck, I`m sticking with figuring out the resonator diaphram first then the rest of the build will come easy.

I ran some simple tests (just loaded up  - jumbo cigar box resonator) on a cone and receptor and some tube idea, I think there's something more in that amplification arm. As with the right lever you could amplify the movement to the cone greatly

(bit like a gramaphone soundbox)

I'm now thinking maybe 2 hubcaps back to back or a banjo type head, as I think you need to push air to get this one to sing.

Hi

Have you got a sketch of this or any picture..

that's making more sense now, as I want to out the concept.

Randy S. Bretz said:

It`s all in the resonator diaphram that makes the cool sound plus having the horn to push that sound out. I`ve been researching this for awhile now even back the 3 years ago when the idea first came up. The original Stroh has a patent on the design [ 1902 ]. Inside the resonator diaphram there`s a thin piece of meca which acts like a huge kazoo when the vibration of the strings pass down through the metal bridge connected to a bolt that connects the resonator together. Then the sound comes out the horn, some variations on the Stroh used more then one horn. I`ve also seen where the resonator diaphram was enclosed in the wood frame of the instrument, which might help with condensing the sound  better. I`m thinkin 2 small alum. pot lids with some kind of disc in the middle to act as the diaphram might work for the resonator. Barefoot Cajun suggested to me that a model A ford horn might work as the diaphram and with the horn already connected. I even researched violin luthiers looking for parts for a Stroh for the resonator diaphram...no luck. So who ever gives this idea a try i wish them all the luck, I`m sticking with figuring out the resonator diaphram first then the rest of the build will come easy.

found this on the web:

"Cary Clements built a Stroh violing using a 6" National tricone cone - which turned out to be too heavy A Stroh instrument works by moving the diaphragm in both compression and decompression from neutral, rather than going from neutral to compression. In other words, there is no tension on a Stroh cone when the instrument is not being played."

So the lever arm is critical in the design and the membrane (and I think amplifies movement)....

i've got an idea! ... back to my shed....

web link for above comments below: 

http://66.160.167.221/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002682.html

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->