I have five builds ongoing at the moment, but my first build has encountered a bit of a stall.  The trouble is that I mistakenly cut the neck (which is not tapered) to the proper width for a typical fender nut without taking into account the hardtail adjustable bridge's string spread.  Alas, it means that I will not be ending up with the six string I was aiming for, and it will have to be a four string instead.  I had an idea that even with four strings, perhaps I could still put a Bigsby style tremolo/Tune-O-Matic bridge combo on it, but I'm having trouble finding something that meets my needs.  So here's my question:

By chance, do any of you gurus out there know where I can find a suitable hardtail 4-string bridge (but a Tune-O-Matic plus compatible tremolo would be super awesome - IF possible) that will accommodate a string spread of 35mm (12mm between each string)?  (The neck is 47mm wide.)  My concern is that the neck is too wide for 10mm spacing and I would like for the strings to still be able to rest over the poles on a pickup without having to go piezo on this particular build.  I can get pickups with 12mm spacing, but I'm having trouble finding a bridge that will meet my needs.

I've seen the adj. 4-string bridge at CB Gitty, but their page says it's a bottom loader, which is a problem for the box I'm using (very thin back on the guitar body).  I looked at the same bridge elsewhere and one page suggests that the plate to the bridge can be drilled so that the balls of the strings could be retained directly by the bridge plate rather than running the strings through the body with ferrules.  Has anyone tried this with any success?  Thanks a million for any advice you fine folks can offer.  I REALLY don't like the idea of cutting down my one-piece mahogany neck from a 6 to a 4 but I see little other option.

Views: 509

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah!  I SEE!!!  Okay - I wasn't aware I could get away with wood on the tremolo or on a dovetail!  I appreciate the ideas greatly and you guys may have just helped me save my no.1 build!  Thank you guys

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->