Slow paw Steve - Angie (completed)

Delbarjo - Honky Tonk Blues (Completed)

RTZ - Brown Sugar / You Can't Always Get What You Want (completed)

BUG - Doom an Gloom (complete)

BUG - Sympathy for the Kat (complete)

Reeds Taylor - Confessin' the Blues (completed)

Vinnie -  can you hear ner nocking (completed..one)

Neanderpaul  - Wild Horses 

Cris Portillo Jr -  Miss you (completed)

Thorsten Hinrichsen/SUGIMUGI - Paint it black (completed)

C# merle - Gimmie Shelter on cbg & Play With Fire (completed)

Turtlehead -  Tumbling Dice & Far Away Eyes as well? (completed)

Uncle John - Ruth Blue and  As Tears Go By' (Completed)

Calim - "Lady Jane" (completed and excellent)

Ted Hartman - Live With Me(completed) , Can't You Here Me Knockin, (with Vinnie)

Ice Bob - Its all Over Now (completed)

C sharpe Merle - Collaboration of Play With Fire (completed)

Patrick Curley - Midnight Rambler (completed)

Jf Lafleche -  Mothers Little Helper (completed)

Jason Fitzgibbon - Honky Tonk Women Slight Return 

NOW CLOSED BUT POST YOUR VIDEOS HERE AS WELL!!!

Views: 12020

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Man there is a lot of Stones crap online it endless...

all the more point to put your own spin on it, rather than some typical cover version.

i'd like to see some experimentation on the theme

Me 2...

Maybe the alternative rolling stoned CBG tribute?

P.s I picked the name out of the air above, but if you have any better suggestions or art work

send em down the line... 

Dan if you can hear me ?

Should these discussions not be latest first....or is that like a Brit living in australia...(i.e upside down?)

Not everyone likes a song that is too far from the original, so the trick is differant but familiar not easy.

Sorry, completely disagree, the idea is to dismiss any notion of trying to please everybody..
Be true to yourself, people will like what you do, or not. At least you're doing it

Wise words. Make your own true version. That's it. Why sound like the Stones? Sound like YOU.

What is interesting about this project is that much of the Stones sound was based upon the open G tuning, so it's relatively easy to recreate the riffs and licks on our CBGs.  The songs almost play themselves.  Add in some amp modeling and you can come fairly close to Keith's tone.  Program a rock drum track and you're halfway to a faithful cover. 

There are dozens of examples of covers that could be said to be better than the originals.  Dylan comes to mind here.  Hendrix on Watchtower or the Byrds on Tambourine Man.  The difference is that Dylan is a songwriter and Keith is a riff master.  Change the arrangement of a Dylan tune and the spirit of the song stays intact.  But if I write my own new lick to Satisfaction, something gets lost in translation.

That's what makes this one interesting in my opinion.  The Stones put us firmly "in the box" as a starting point and it would be easy to play the songs just like the originals because the template is built into our open tuned instruments.  This is a little different from the Beatles album because in that case we were trying to fit their style(s) into CBG arrangements. 

In the end, I'm in agreement with everyone.  The point is to make it your own and if that means doing Sympathy for the Devil on a one string Canjo, then go for it - I'd like to hear that. Part of me says to do something off the wall and the other part says stay true to the original.  Obviously, I'm no Mick or Keith, so hopefully I end up somewhere in the middle and it becomes my own.  This is what RTZ was getting at I think. Not a note for note cover band version, but a unique rendition that will still be recognizable.  In some ways, it's more difficult to do that with the Stones than with the Beatles or Dylan or whomever.

Enough rambling - I'm not here to tell anyone how to do it, just my take on it.  As always, no rules, YMMV, etc. 

What too do do?

Some people would kill to be able to do covers {and thats what were doing covers} of their favorite song.

I'm gonna cut my E string off and rock it like Keith. I don't  have a saxiphone so i'll do a slide or other lead part I have no interest in a Reggae version of Brown Sugar. Hey that's a good idea------------------ back to the drawning board.

What would Frank do?

Were better than the Stones anyway.....

Hell yeh ....and we gona prove it!!
Lol

Bug, oh man I want to jump in on this I love doin' Stones songs The Best.!!!  Most of the main ones I know and do have already been chosen, and some completed, I wish I new earlyer about this!!!! I am doing a Very Very Important build right now, it's close to completion. (I am a slow builder). I hope to be able to get in on this on time.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this audio or video or both? Please let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! message me. I have not been on line much, been workin' on an importent build. but I do check my messages.!!!!!!!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER left a comment for David Hopkins
"They look a lot like the Roger Farrington creation's from 1980!"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

All You Got to do is put your Mind to it ! BCB - A .D .Eker 2024

"Yes he was ! Uncle John ! thank you for the like and kind comment ! Dang me !"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Gary O'slide's video
Thumbnail

Acoustic folk box cigar box guitar @RhialtoPurple

"Nice.  Bright and sunshiny.  Feeling good music.  Thanks!"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

"Roger was extra special.    And fun. Wailing harp there, A.D.!    Good tribute!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

"    You can Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd !!"
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

a Tribute to the Great lyricist Roger Miller ,a adapted version of the Tune " You cant Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd " whit the refrein , on a four string c...
4 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

BCB Folding Backpacker 21,5 inch Scale

"Thank you all for the Like on the Picture ! appreciated !"
4 hours ago
A.D.EKER left a comment for Order99
"Thanks Order 99 for your take on the Tracks ! Glad you liked them ! much appreciated ! Kind…"
4 hours ago
Order99 liked Doug Thorsvik's video
9 hours ago
Order99 liked Gary O'slide's video
9 hours ago
Order99 liked Dar Stellabotta's video
9 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->