Hello all,

I'm now up to my 5th CBG and fell into a nice lot of boxes to work with.  I have some wonderful Fuentes boxes that are wood with paper labels.  The CBGs I have built so far have all been solid wood with no labels and they sound great!  I was just wondering though..... would the paper covering on the boxes damp vibrations?

My Oliva and 1960 boxes just ring like a bell when strummed.  When you tap the paper covered boxes they just seem to be a bit "dead" but I'm wondering if it might not be my imagination.  I love the artwork on the paper covered boxes but my affinity to wood is pulling me that way.

Any thoughts on that?

Gene

Views: 2076

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ha, ha,.   I like all the comments, especially Phrygian's.   Of my top 4 home builts, 2 are paper /fiber board, one is wood and one is a hubcap.

I've about decided that if you want to get the most acoustic volume, then go with a reso.  After that, it's solid wood, then after that any ol' square thing will do!  The little piezo acoustic pickups they sell here can really take just about anything and get you "out there" with an amp.  I've wrapped them in leather and in high density polyfoam and they STILL crank!

Well I'd say if you want the most volume.

PRACTICE!

I've made over 100 guitars and I'm still learning it.
There is a lot more to be gained from perfecting your craft than there is splitting hairs over this box or that box. Want it to be loud? Build the fucking lot.
Period :)

Nah.... I can be REALLY loud and REALLY bad too!  But I do plan on building the lot!

I've built everything from steel pan, to dulcimers, to hurdy gurdies to bagpipes.  And in the two months and 6 CBG's I've built so far I've never had so much fun!  C.B. Bitty is probably getting to expect my order every week (gotta stop that!) and there is no end in sight. The best part is, I stand a real chance at being able to make some music on these.  More so than I did on anything else I've built. Anybody know how to play a harp?

"Anybody know how to play harp?"

Sure. First, you suck. Then, you blow.

;-)

Then, you practice like crazy, so you can do both almost, but not quite, simultaneously. Listen to good harp players. A lot. Try real hard to sound like them. Keep at it. After that, you should start getting pretty good.

That's just wrong.  I'm still wiping my eyes.

That ought to be a signature...

...First, you suck. Then, you blow.

;-)

Then, you practice like crazy,

Coulda been worse. You coulda shot hot coffee out yer nose. ;-)
What I mean is practice the craft of building them. More so than talking about it. More than reading five pages of other ppls rhetoric and opinions. I'm of the opinion that most ppl including my good self are completely full of shit

hehehehe.......ya know there is a ton of truth in that last statement Kid- I reckon you and I would get along just fine. i would think it.....and you would say it. Not neccessarily in that order either.

I like the Cohiba boxes they are Spanish cedar but if you look inside the box it looks just like mahogany which it is a relative of. 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->