NEED ADVICE: Mounting pickup with low action without weakening the neck??

Greets,

I am starting a new build, and I am facing the dilemma how how to mount the pickup without chopping deeply into the neck.

In the past I dodged this issue by using special ultra-thin pickups.  Once I *did* notch the neck to fit the pickup lower, and it weakened the neck so bad the instrument wouldn't hold a tune at all, and I had to add metal straps internally to strengthen the neck in order to rescue the guitar.

There must be a better way!

Darn pickups are easily 1/2 inch high, and that makes it hard to achieve low action.  I really want the high frets to be more usable, so low action is a must. As it is, if this pickup is mounted right against the neck with no notching, it will be a good 9 or 10 mm high!

I really want the neck all the way thru the body for strength.  And I don't want to weaken it by notching a slot for the pickup.  How have you guys worked around this?

Pics are attached...

Thanks and blessings,

/Mark

Views: 1011

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm giving this method a whirl. I see this guy uses this method I think. 2010 article http://jsnow.bootlegether.net/cbg/cbg.html Wonder if Jim was, or is a CBN er

Go for it! 

The best thing I've learned is to just do it. 

Choose a method and go for it. There is more than one way. If it works then it was right if it fails then it wasn't. Easy peasy. 

You can strip all the parts out and rebuild around the stuff that worked with a different method if your not happy. The journey is just as good as the destination

Shane posted a video here somewhere about, he glues more wood to the sides of the neck inside the box.

Such a wealth of info on this site. Its incredible repository of build experience. For my first build I used a top of the box method. Builds 2 and 3 thru the box. I started build 4 with a thru box. Build five is the one I posted showing the cut out and bracing for a transformer. But I am quite taken with this short piece thru the box and a neck then attached to that I am going to modify build 4 to try this method after getting onto some 40mm wide Merbau which I can make 3 necks out of for 6 bucks. Feel like a pig in %&it. Merbau hss a janka hardness about the same as Jarrah. Gonna be much harder workin with the few hand tools I have. All part of the journey. Cheers all. Jonno

Everyone seems to get much better woods than me. 

All I can get a regular (but quite cheap) supply of is mahogany.

Jeez, I'd kill for some cheap mahogany...all I can get is cast off plywood. And yet, I can build decent necks and boxes with good tone out of them...
Merbau is harder than rosewood or sugar maple. I nearly fell over when i discovered it tucked away in the tradies section at Bunnings. 2.4 metre straight lengths and the typical thickness and width in ya standard cbg neck setup ie 19x40mm .Howz about usin handtools on Australian Buloke.Its about 3 times as hard as the popular fretboard rosewood. Faaar out.

Yeah it's decent, I'm just tired of working with it.

Seeing as thread is bout neck structures and stability I was wondering if just using a hard wood neck without a seperate fretboard. I used seperate fretboard to get height above top of box. I'm not concerned muffin a neck that costs two bucks. A hardwood fretboard on a softer neck gives stability. But just using a hardwood neck on its own would be good. I know the bssic cbg is just a single neck as fretboard. I'm raving on I know but how is the action on a neck without a seperate frettie. I know low action aint such a big deal on a fretless and hence just the basic stick thru. But with frets action is important for playing comfort, fret buzz etc. What I am tryin to say is has anyone built a low action thru the box build with frets and no seperate fretboard, and no down angling of neck. apologies if I appear to be hijackin a thread started by someone else and introducing this question.

That's what I build exclusively. 

I get my neck action down low no problem, you have to do he same consideration of leveling as you would with a fretboard. A little fret fall off is good to do with anything over 23" on the bass strings. 

I find it easier but it is always risky. If you mess up the frets you mess up the whole neck. I can get my 12th down to about 2mm but I find that 2&1/2 is good enough because I like changing tunings and slackening off my bass strings..

Neck seems stronger as a single piece, build time is cut but the instrument is not as nice looking and people think there's something wrong with it as they expect to see one.

This build is just a red oak neck, no fretboard. I cut the neck down to level up with the box, but put a supporting piece underneath inside the box.

The action on this one is so low, that it is really only good for playing fingered notes, and not for slide. 

What, you get cheap plywood? Too far for a joke.Hahaha

Mahogany is tops, be happy with all you can get.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. liked Gary O'slide's video
45 minutes ago
BrianQ. liked Poorness Studios's video
50 minutes ago
Poorness Studios liked Dogleg Steve's video
2 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked Dogleg Steve's video
2 hours ago
Gary O'slide posted videos
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

David Bowie's Space Oddity (covered on guitar & Stylophone)

"Nice ly done Kale olthow whit verry minimal typecal Space odity effects, i know it was your Bowie…"
3 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted a status
"Hey - I came runner up top 10 of the 2023 4th annual international CBG video playoffs!"
3 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted videos
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

"Wow! Well done Kale. Nailed it!!! You really captured the essence of the song and it’s…"
4 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted a status
4 hours ago
Poorness Studios posted a video

I've been meaning to do a cover of this since I got my David Bowie Stylophone last Christmas. This song is outside my vocal range and difficult to sing, but ...
5 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Thank you Keith for standing at the crossroads whit me for a while ! appriciated !"
6 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->