Hi everyone, I'd like a bit of advice on what sort of finish I should use on fingerboards and necks. I'm after something practical to protect the surfaces.Also at what stage should it be applied, before or after fretting. Thanks ,Mark

Views: 4335

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been using straight mineral oil on the fret boards. I use about 3 coats, letting it sink in and wiping down between coats.  It does not appear to be leaving a residue and give a nice colour.

On the necks and boxes I have tried polyurethane both full strength and half and half with mineral spirits. It gives the neck a nice finish.  I have not been that happy on the boxes. The necks are oak where the boxes I have been getting are a 1/8" poplar ply on top and bottom and a pine side.  The pine finishes well, but the top and bottom require multiple coats and sandings. It is a tough finish, but not a finish that can be buffed up. So you have to get it right when applying. The thinned out version with a foam brush was the easiest.

The last builds I did before the weather got cold, I tried out Krylon Gloss Acrylic spray.  It is a really nice neck finish. The advantage me me was it worked down to 10 degrees C. You need to have good ventilation for that though. It puts out a lot of volatiles. One nice thing about it is you can just keep putting coats on with no sanding between if you wan tto build up a finish.

I am hoping to try some brush lacquer. I am hoping for a surface that can be buffed without the spraying.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->