So I might be putting myself out here as a crackpot, but I wanted to ask if anyone else has this worry. Do/did any of you builders have a worry when selling/giving away a c.b.g. that another builder might see/use it and scoff at your handiwork? It might just be because I have yet to break the over 20 builds mark, but it still worries me a little when faced with a sell.

Views: 995

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. a percentage of people will tell you it's rubbish even if it isn't. Like any community, this one has it's know it all assholes.
2. another percentage of people will tell you it's great even if it's rubbish. Like any community this one also has it's more than fair share of 'nice guys'

If I have a fear regarding making my own weird little guitars it's that ill fall into the cynical pattern of smashing em out to a formula, very little creativity in the process, there's many many here doing that, or that I'll just be a follower, making the same generic three string fretless bolt for a nut entry level project that so many do and then considering myself an expert :)

Just do your thing, impressing other cigar box nationals is an empty and hollow pursuit :)

Thank you to those who have responded. I feel this will pass, but man...I gave away my first years ago. And still await some rebuttal to my skills. I am happy that those of you who responded are amoung a good percentage of builders I dig on here. I will just continue on.

Haters will hate, but I will survive through it all. Thanks for the words of confidence. Any more guys/gals can still chime in.

thanks piht bull. Right now I just have lots o boxes...lol

Colin,

I'm not much of a builder (only 3 under my belt, with boxes and parts stacked up staring at me guiltily), but I can offer comment from the player's perspective. I have purchased gits from several of the responders to this thread. I like to think I have given them, as Eric says, honest, direct feedback. The builders I deal with are straightforward folks, who understand that any critiques or suggestions I offer are 1) always invited; they always wanna know what I think, as a friend and customer, and 2) given with an eye to the technical, because that's my background as a scientist, and I completely understand where they are coming from. I do the same thing with every song I craft. Every creation you put time and whatever skills you have into it is like your child (sorry for the cliche', but it's true). You want them to succeed when they leave the nest, and you worry constantly about them. As an amateur actor, I often have people tell me my work is professional quality, but I tend not to believe them, because deep down, I'm still insecure, and though I want exactly the confirmation they are giving me, it's hard to handle. Until a friend who was a professional actor for 17 years offered me, and continues to, his critiques. That's harder, but waaayyy more useful to me. I've found that players here are pretty appreciative when dealing with builders. I think it would be rare for a player to purchase or be given one of your gits, and then turn and say, "that sucks, dude!" I'd tell you to stop worrying and keep building, but you probably will still obsess over each git anyway, so I'd just say, keep doing the best you can, put your heart into it, and offer each one up with love and hope.

spot on. thanks!

Colin,

I would encourage you not to concern yourself with what most people think or say about your instruments. Build what you like, do your best, enjoy your work. Anyone that has built one of these can appreciate the skill and passion that goes into a cbg build. I would imagine that your builds have gotten a bit better each time, your skills have progressed, you've learned some do's and dont's, and began to refine your craft as a builder. People rarely buy an item that they don't like or appreciate when they are spending their money. There are naysayers everywhere and someone is always willing to belittle or take a crack at someone else's work because they are a**holes and probably couldn't create something as nice as you or they are snobs, in either case their opinions don't matter. I always welcome some critique on my work because there's usually a compliment in there with it too, plus I might get a new idea or learn a better way to do something. I'm probably my own worst critic, I can find something in all of my builds that I wish I had done differently or wonder why I thought something was a cool idea at the time. I learned a couple decades ago that trying to be all things to all people is fruitless and never brings any peace or happiness to your life. So, be true to yourself, do the right things, and the people that appreciate your work will find their way into your circle. Keep on keepin' on!

Very true Bruce, I appreciate the comment.

I went to an acoustic guitar building school last summer. My wife insisted I take one of my cigar box guitars to show. This "phobia" you're talking about is real. The instructors were all master luthiers and I didn't want to embarrass myself, but to preserve marital harmony I took one. Long story short, they loved it. In fact, one of them offered to buy the guitar and I sold it to him. The satisfaction, compliments, and constructive criticism were way beyond my dreams. So show those guitars!

I had the same apprehension when visiting a local violin/cello maker.  He's a 5th generation luthier and very well known.  I was taking an old fiddle to have him look it over for repair.  Before walking in his door, I expected him to ask for $100 just to sit down and I resolved that I would not talk about my CBGs.  But, he greeted me warmly at the door and invited me into his shop.  The first thing I was was the beautiful instrument below and I gave up a lot of my assumptions about luthiers in general.  We had a great time talking about making instruments and my old (worthless) fiddle.

That is very cool.

I have kind of a similar story... one of mine was brought into the local Guitar Center by it's owner... they wanted to test out amps for it... they said everybody in the store just loved it, especially the in store mechanic.  

I've since gone in and talked the the guy and he's helped me quite a bit.  Fixed a buzzing problem I was having in like 2 minutes.  He took it around the store, made sure everybody saw it... I admit, it was a big confidence booster.  

Still, it's a Cigar Box guitar... it's folk art.  They need to have character.  

Every time I see/hear the phrase folk art:
http://www.janson.com/rights/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/1253.jpg

Sorry, image will not appear. Link is to a snapshot of rare visions and roadside revelations that used to air on PBS
A couple of things:

1. Haters are gonna hate. Their aim in life is to make themselves look good by tearing down what is around them. And they hide so people won't know what they are doing. Use your guitars as a litmus test to find them out. Good people encourage people to do good things. Key phrase to watch for, Why would you ever do something dumb like that?

2. I learned this from many years in sales. People don't bitch if they don't care. If you get: It would be better this way or why is that thing there, pay attention. Someone is telling you what they really want.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->