So I built a neck almost through body CBG with a piezo rod in pickup. Just strung it up and the mahogany neck (bought this one pre fretted from CBGitty) flexes up and action is ridiculously high.
Problem one, I mounted the neck flush with the sound board
Problem two, I made a four string so neck tension is higher :(
Problem three, I did not adjust the neck angle three degrees
I did use a zero fret
So. To go back in and raise the neck ( no fretboard, just fret on neck) I will have to really thin the neck through the body. I suppose I could brace this inside somehow and shim up the back in the process to get the angle, but I'm worried about the strain on the neck given the bowing I am seeing.
I did glue this so will likely destroy the box in the process. No big, I can gt a new one. Thoughts on better ideas?
Oh, I do not play slide well yet. Have just started messing around with slide in the last few weeks to gt ready for this.

I do have two necks in the works. Both red oak both will have fret boards. Just finishing the frets on one now. The next git will be a "solid body" ( box filled with poplar, routed out for electronics) four string electric ith a hum bucker pick up. This will have bone nut and a hard tail bridge. Any tips on getting neck set right for good action appreciated.

Thanks all! Have a blessed week!

Ab

Views: 623

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just finished up my first 4 string slide using poplar and oak and I feel like it is my best yet.But i made some real goofs before I got it right. I love the sound of the CBG and all mine have been acoustic since I travel a bit and just like to play anywhere. The boxes are easy to get and the neck wood I get at home depot so when I messed up all I was out was time.You can add strength by adding a rod under the fretboard but I just brace inside the box.practice makes a good CBG.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->