I've searched through CBN and can't seem to find the definitive  (if there is one) way to go using one of Elmar's Flatpups.  I'm leaning toward adding a volume pot but it seems like some are running direct to the jack. 

What say you?

Views: 2033

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I run my Flatpups straight to jack. 250 probably matches more closely to the Ohm reading of a Flatpup... but that doesn't mean it's the best choice. get some alligator clips and test!

There is no 'right' component to use, but most guitar makers would use a 250a (250k ohm resistance and a logarithmic taper) type pot for volume control and a 250b type (250k ohm resistance and a linear taper) pot for a tone control because its a passive single coil pickup

why not ask the man that makes them ?

hi there, when I used pots, I preferred the 500k - for no profound reason at all. The only no profound suspect I have is that a 250k pot dumps the harmonics more easily to ground. And as a consequence, I omitted them at all.

I wished I had the answer which one to use, but hopefully you have a better input after having tried it out. Good luck :-)

Elmar Pickups are magical, they need no pots!..infact, they dont even need guitars....music just flows from them as soon as you open the package!

stewmac sez

250K = warmer
The usual choice for single coil pickups.

500K = brighter
The usual choice for humbuckers.

1Meg-ohm = brightest
If you want to hear your guitar "wide open" with all the highs, try 1 Meg pots.

1-meg pots are also ideal for piezo pickups, as the ultra high impedance piezo element is more adversely effected by conventional, lower-value pots than magnetic pickups.

25K pots are used with active systems with battery-powered preamps.

These "K" numbers are the resistance ratings (kOhms). K is the abbreviation for Kilo, or 1,000. 1Meg-ohm is 1,000K, or 1-million ohms.

You can experiment with different pots on your guitar: higher values produce a slightly brighter tone. Lower values produce a slightly warmer tone (they remove little more of the highs). 

You could always use a DPDT switch and give yourself the choice, direct to the jack or via a volume pot.

Yup, even a single throw basic toggle will do that job.. Gives you a preset rhythm sound..

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I may just wire up a switch and give it a go. I have a mini or two left over from some passive preamps I built that would work well I would imagine. I may have something interesting switches I could pull from some old tube Tek scopes also.

Hey Elmar! As you can see, I'm finally getting around to building around the pup I got from you some time ago now.  I think it's going to be a good fit for this build.

You need to shield your circuit, seems you are in a noisy environment (electromagnetically speaking) even just wrapping the wires and the volume pot in alum foil (which connects to ground, ie the sleeve of the jack) should help a great deal
Hmm.. that hum is the real voodoo for me. Does changing the two connection wires help?

I don't think a switched volume pot (on/off) will do the trick here.
You would be switching from a set volume level to full volume.
Now, a switched tone control on the other hand...

Phrygian Kid is on the right track to eliminating the hum.
Be careful not to short out the circut by touching any + post or connection with your shielding.

Some other things to try:
Loosely twist lead pairs (+/-), those from the pup and those to the output jack.

Make sure all solder joints are bright and shiny.

Ron
You might want to experiment with a high-pass filter.
I'm betting that a 3db drop in the 80hz to 90hz range would be enough.

John

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. liked Gary O'slide's video
58 minutes ago
BrianQ. liked Poorness Studios's video
1 hour ago
Poorness Studios liked Dogleg Steve's video
2 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked Dogleg Steve's video
2 hours ago
Gary O'slide posted videos
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

David Bowie's Space Oddity (covered on guitar & Stylophone)

"Nice ly done Kale olthow whit verry minimal typecal Space odity effects, i know it was your Bowie…"
3 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted a status
"Hey - I came runner up top 10 of the 2023 4th annual international CBG video playoffs!"
4 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted videos
4 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

"Wow! Well done Kale. Nailed it!!! You really captured the essence of the song and it’s…"
4 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted a status
4 hours ago
Poorness Studios posted a video

I've been meaning to do a cover of this since I got my David Bowie Stylophone last Christmas. This song is outside my vocal range and difficult to sing, but ...
5 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Thank you Keith for standing at the crossroads whit me for a while ! appriciated !"
7 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->