I really started working on it.

I cut the box to fit the neck on both ends.
Will then decide on how I do the headstock, make it, then will glue the freboard.

I want to keep it simple, but do what it needs to play well and sound good.

More to come

Views: 2133

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good thinking.

Ok, I drilled holes for the tuners.

I decided to use 4 inline open tuners, old style.

So... I had to cut the headstock and align the tuners with where the strings will be. I want them to be in line with them tuners and it means that I will need to fill a corner at the end of the headstock.

No problem. I will glue a piece of nicer piece of wood to hide all these parts.

Oh, and I need to do some routing to get the thickness right.

I won't work on it this week-end so next week, I will draw the final shape that the headstock, should be able to put strings on it for a first test, just to make sure everything is all right before I work on the finish, etc...
Attachments:
Here is from the front
Attachments:

Headstock is looking nice. I use the dowel method on my " standard" neck. I've been making them at a forty-five degree angle (or forty "frog" degree angle just to give it my own spin) . Set the neck, drill the holes for the dowels, and then glue with the dowels in and you have the added strength to keep from seperating.

Git looks good so far. What kind of tuning are you planning?

Thanks, forty "frog" degree seems like a lot...

I check the strengh of the headstock by trying to bend it and it felt very strong. So unless I drop it, it should hold 4 strings without problems.

I normally play slide in open E, both for my voice and the tunes I used to sing in Blues Jams.

I tried open G on the ebg I bought but ended using open D with it.
I still would like to practice in G but I know D or E the most.

yes it's a heavy angle, but it seems to work. You can definately tell its one of mine when you see it.

I did a custom four stringer a little while ago and tuned that the same as the first four strings on a guitar, prior to that I tuned one to G. On my three stringers I usually go G or F although I just did one in D and love that sound. My latest three stringer is going to be D as well. I like to be able to grab a different tuning and play certain tunes that fit them.

What do you use for the nut with that headstock angle?

I wanted to try hard wood or bone on mine, but I like brass. But at the same time, I like a more precise position than a brass nut which is round ???

Good idea to have many tunings on your guitars. And I also like to make a design ours, like for your headstock angle. I was once presented as the man with many guitars in a Jam. Some are happy with only 1 guitar... Some not :-)

A last thing... I noticed that depending on the build, guitars kind of like a specific tuning where they sound good. So I'll see for this one.

I've used a 1/4" brass bolt as a nut on 3 builds without issue.

I've done something different on several. I've used bolts, walnut, teakwood, and bone.

I pretty much use whatever comes to mind at the time of the build, and hopefully I make the right choice. So far, so good.

The only problem right now is thatbI already made a noth for a kind of standard neck. But it's too deep for a bolt and a round nut would be too far from the 0 position of the fretboard...

You could glue a piece of wood to the neck to raise the bolt, then use a half round file to dig a trench for the right placement of the bolt, where the string edge will sit where it needs to be.

Yes, I begin to think that it would be the best solution...

Part of the learning process.

I was thinking and thinking... And your suggestion quite decided me on doint it.

Thanks

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->