and if so, how do we feel about this little palm one by Bosch:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16819&filter=colt%20router

Views: 2029

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I inherited an old Sears router, along with a table saw and drill press, from my father-in-law when he passed away. I stayed away from the router for a long time b/c it just scared me! But, I've used it for the last few necks and I'm a convert. I use it upside down in a router table, with a good carbide bit, to round neck edges and remove the big notch under the lid. Goes through maple like butter, and I'm on to the rest of my project rather than spending hours filing by hand. Nothing against folks that want to use just hand tools, but for me, the judicious use of good power tools makes my projects easier and better.

Regarding the two choices, buy the Bosch if you can afford it. It will be vastly superior to the piece of Chinese garbage Harbor Fright is hawking. Buy good quality tools when you can. They'll pay you back again and again.
Diane,
I'd agree with the comments thus far, you can do a lot without, but it sure can speed up the process properly used. Seeing that you build a lot, you could probably put one to good use.
As far as the choice goes, I would avoid the cheap router, you will find them frustrating to use. Things like the depth control setting on the Bosch unit will be more precise and easier to get consistent results from. And you will likely get a lifetime of use out of it.
However, the real benefit to using a router, or many other such tools, comes with learning to make various jigs and guides to take advantage of its versatality. And practice. You might be surprised at the innovative things you can do with one. Get a couple good books specifically for the router. I can recommend "Tools and Jigs" and "Router Table secrets" by Woodsmith for starters. Browse them for ideas and insight into the possibilitys.
Get a few accessories and bits accumulated and I bet it becomes a new friend. A plunge adapter would be nice, if available. It allows you to start the router and move the bit down onto the work to a set depth. Also, building a basic router table nicely expands the possibilities.
Hope that helps!
Mark
There is a Bosch palm router on ebay right now for $86 including shipping. Not a bad price
Do you really need a router.... no, but they are sure nice to have. I would take the time to make a router table for it though or buy one. I made my table, using an old cabinet I got at a yard sale, with a hinged top for access to the router. I feel a router table makes it a lot safer to use and helps with containing the dust. Routers are messy. I hook the dust collector up to mine.
A router is one of those things that I can't live with now that I have it. If you want to put a truss rod in a solid hunk of wood, you need one. Otherwise, with CBGs, you can get away without having one.

On the other hand, I use mine to:

- Route a truss rod slot.
- With a pattern bit, I true the sides of my necks up using the fingerboard as a template.
- Pickup pockets.
- Neck pockets.
What size bit do you use? I have a 1X2 inch piece of wood from my nect I want to use a router for the back.

L.J. said:
I use a router for rounding my necks and making my boxtop/neck cutouts. Ot5hyer than that I dont need one but the time and strain it saves me rounding necks I couldnt give it up.
Hi Ive never used one always do my necks with an old spoke shave and work by the way it feels to the touch I have thought about using electrik tools but it feels better using old hand tools mind you I use a lot of oak and that soon blunts them But to me these wonderfull instruments are so very tactile i have to feel what ime doing :)
What do any of us really need other than a good knife and a sharpening stone? The same can be said of a router. What can’t be done with a router? Just be careful – like any new addiction you can waste tons of time and money building router jigs to do just about anything and cutting MDF patterns for just about everything. The only real cure is to make each build different in order to avoid this temptation.
Got 1 or something real "similar"
Low Torque Start
Appropriate HorsePower
good TOOL
easy to freehand "rough ins" on headstocks etc.
"nibble AWAY"

beStillroy said:
easy to freehand "rough ins" on headstocks etc.
"nibble AWAY"
perfect for "PUP Pocket"
Thanks everyone for there advice and comments. This will be my first build and I am going to use a file and a knife. I will post the finished product. Thanks again for your help.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Poorness Studios liked Dogleg Steve's video
8 minutes ago
Poorness Studios liked Dogleg Steve's video
8 minutes ago
Gary O'slide posted videos
47 minutes ago
A.D.EKER commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

David Bowie's Space Oddity (covered on guitar & Stylophone)

"Nice ly done Kale olthow whit verry minimal typecal Space odity effects, i know it was your Bowie…"
50 minutes ago
Dogleg Steve posted a status
"Hey - I came runner up top 10 of the 2023 4th annual international CBG video playoffs!"
1 hour ago
Dogleg Steve posted videos
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

"Wow! Well done Kale. Nailed it!!! You really captured the essence of the song and it’s…"
2 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted a status
2 hours ago
Poorness Studios posted a video

I've been meaning to do a cover of this since I got my David Bowie Stylophone last Christmas. This song is outside my vocal range and difficult to sing, but ...
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Thank you Keith for standing at the crossroads whit me for a while ! appriciated !"
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
4 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->