yes, we use to joke about the cigar box "bandwagon' and if china would jump on board...we'll its official!

here is a cigar box "type' uke that they are now MASS PRODUCIING ..by "fox music"and selling on ebay!...these are the same people selling products under "cigar box guitar" keywords and watering down the catagory making it hard for eveyone else to sell becuse theier products pop up first!

your hobby has now been outsourced!

click this link,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321118178503...

Views: 3106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

E smelly Likey Mooshoo pork.  When I open the back of my amps while they are playing (smokin), two years later they still smell like cigars.

Mickey Says boycott Chinese Ukulele's.

I'll only start worrying when they offer "Custom ordering available - minimum 500 pieces."

>:-E

Lost in translation....

that p.o.s has no life . they could never recreate the tone a cigar box will . growing up in Decatur Alabama my great-grand father helped me build my first cbg when i was 6 . at 29 now i am so amazed at how so many people build and plays these works of art . 

I'm new to cigarbox nation and also new to CBGs, My first build is only 2 weeks old. I've got several nice regular guitars (Charvels and Deans) that I gladly paid quite a bit for but I think buying a premade CBG kinda takes the fun out of it. For me half the fun of the Cigar Box guitar is building it and putting your own style and personality into it! I could see buying a premade neck if you don't have the time or tools to make one yourself. I would be willing to bet that the majority of mass produced wanna be CBGs from china that are sold will end up leaning in a corner or hanging on a wall for decoration. Like I said I am new to CBGs but just guessing that anyone with a true passion for hand made instruments would rather build their own. If you do not have tools or work space to build your own and have to resort to buying a pre-made one I would strongly suggest buying a kit that has all the pieces ready to assemble so you can still put your own personal touch to the finished product. I am very proud of my first build and have many more planned but it would probably be sitting in the corner collecting dust while I play my Charvel if I had purchased it from eBay!

i agree   with  you  to  a  point ,    there  is   indeed   pride  and satisfaction  that  goes  into  building you  own  guitar  ..  but   by the same tokin  ,,   seeing  that touch  of uniqueness  in someone else's work  (like the builders  on this site  ) is appealing too  ,  different  builders   and   guitars    have different  looks and sound  .buying  a guitar  from another   builder    can  be almost as   exciting .   it  gives  you the experience   of that  uniqueness   without  trying to  copy it   or rip  it  off  and  not  truly  being  "yours  ".  plus  you share   and dip  into  the  mind and  world  of another builder  . 

many  builders  here    sell on  ebay  .

you  dont  think  car  guys    go  to  swap  meets and buy /  collect   other  cool  cars  or  parts  ?

heck  half  my  client    base      are   builders  .

you  can  just as easily  apperciate  the  art   and style  in another  build  as    you  do  your    own  .

actually , ..  it should make  you appreciate  it   even  more  . 

you say  you are   are  just    getting  into  cbgs  ?  ..  i  bet  within  the year  you will  buy  one from another builder   .  ;-)

its all   part  of the  bug  ;-)

(that being  said  .  im  not  talking about  the china  mass  produced    stuff  ,

im  talking about   builders   like  the good  people  on  here  . ) 

Too many unique builds...too little coin / storage space / room in the dog kennel.

yup ..  some  of  us  live  in  tents  and give the house to  the  guitars  ;-)

The problem with these things is they will sound like what they are....

A mass produced guitar that is exactly like the last one off the line.

Hand made CBGs or anythother instrument will always sound... 'better' (a matter of opinion I guess)

For those of us who make our own instruments I dont think this is a bad thing... It is just going to seperate those people who want something that looks 'different' (not that they will be) from those people who want a hand made piece of art that has its own personality and sound.

Well I wasn't the leak. If I were then these instruments would all be diatonic three stringers.

:-o

Like I said back in May, this Ukulele was put on the market by ELEUKE years ago...

;-) it's old news !!!

In fact, the pictured model was discontinued in favor of this version: 

I would imagine it sounds like a uke. Here is one that I made in a cigar box style, the top is spruce, back and sides American black walnut mahogany neck. steel strings. Corners from China

Attachments:

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->