I have been playing in a band for the last 3 months and started with the slandered open G but have switched open A and really like it. I am still using the middle 4 strings from a 6 string pack of 10's I find I can get some real metal sound out of "Janet" my guitar as well as some blues sounds as well. So my question is this anyone else playing this tuning out there or am I the only freak out there.

Views: 1051

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been using the devils tuning no wonder it sounds so bad a$$ with metal. Lol. As I have read on the net the church band it and gave it the name. It was thought that the tuning as off to the ear and could raise the beast of hell. Yah they thought leaches where a good thing too. As far as breaking strings not so far and I have been playing it in a band every Sunday for 4 months and practicing everyday for at least an hour. No I'll effect on neck so far as well. It is a maple neck with Purple Heart wood finger board though.
Yes it's Keni's name for DGB, Or in the key of A it'd be EAC#
TN
I will do some digging
Keni Lee mentions devil tuning on his page somewhere
I Might have a play with it later..
Muddy loved open A.
TN try this one
I haven't confined it yet but it might be

Aadd9 - E-B-E-A-C#-E

Keep in mind that I'm not a guitarist.

Can't figure out what to do with the B string. Do you just barre all six strings and strum all chords with an added 9th?

I'm familiar with E'-A-E-a-c#-e as a higher ("open A") version of "open g" or "Spanish Tuning" or sometimes "Chicago Tuning." I can see how it's useful to alternate A and E' with your thumb, but I can't see how to use the B except just to thicken the sonority..

No, typically you would transition to the 'grips' approach of a steel player. A 9 tuning will typically included a 7 as well, so it gives you three seperate triads in a straight line across the strings, 135, 357 and 579 by adjusting which strings you use (the 'grips')

This is just about always one of the tunings on a double (or more) neck steel guitar, along with a 6th tuning, which does the same thing but in the opposite direction around the circle of fifths, which is the Hawaiian approach, 9 tuning being more the Nashville and Bakersfield country way

The other big thing about having a string at 9 is its only a one fret slant to get a minor third for your i grip
Kid that's some heavy theory there. Am I mistaken this applies to slide? I play cords and fingering so can this be applied in this as well?

yeah mate this is steel/dobro stuff, so theres typically no frets or even when there is the action is way too high to use em.  But if this is where the components of chordX is, then thats where they is, regardless if you use a bar or a fret or the back of an axe or your granny's big toe eh.

I'm sure you've seen steels/dobros with 8/9/10 strings per neck?  Well when you play one of those you'd typically never play all strings at once or it'd sound a right mess, so theres various 'grips' which are each a combination of strings which together voice a chord, and that chord will be identified by one of those strings in particular.  If you know any regular tuned guitar then its not unlike barre-chords, you know, you have one which you identify from the 5 string, you might think of it as an 'A' shape, another which you identify by the 6 string, an 'E' shape etc etc...

If I remember my theory correctly the Devil's interval is the flatted fifth. So that would be D-G# or E-A# etc.

No sorry the Devils interval is a minor second, always the most evil of them all ;)

I guess that makes Steely Dan pretty darn evil then. :)

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->