I may be out of luck here. I am accompanying my sister with a bottleneck slide on my CGB tuned to GDG on Johnny Cash's song I Hung My Head.

Is there any way I can play an A minor or am I stuck with playing the A only? Oh and my action is set to high for me to fret the strings. Thanks!!!

ara

Views: 956

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

An A minor chord is made up of:
a (1) c (flat 3) e (5). If you are tuned GDG play
(low G) 2nd fret (a)
(middle string D) 2nd fret (e)
(high G) 5th fret (c)

Please check out my instructional videos:
www.ebay.com Search: Keni Lee
CD 1 contains CBG lessons.
The theory will take you a long way.
Please feel free to write. Enjoy.
Thanks! I've been following your lessons and I will be picking up your instructional CD as well!

ara

Keni Lee Burgess said:
An A minor chord is made up of:
a (1) c (flat 3) e (5). If you are tuned GDG play
(low G) 2nd fret (a)
(middle string D) 2nd fret (e)
(high G) 5th fret (c)

Please check out my instructional videos:
www.ebay.com Search: Keni Lee
CD 1 contains CBG lessons.
The theory will take you a long way.
Please feel free to write. Enjoy.
There's a video out there of Shane Speal showing how to make minors and sevenths and stuff that opened up a whole new world of CBG chords to me. I need to check out Keni's vids too, Thanks Ara and Keni! Peace. Joe
Try here first. Not exactly for you as the Dulcimer has different frets.
http://www.folknotes.com/MDchord.html

There is another web page that has them diagrammed but i cant find it!
http://www.harmony-central.com/Software/Windows/guitar.html

This site has a lot of software that might help in chord shapes..

I looked at Fretboard dots and Fretboard for windows. Both seem to work in Vista.

In both you can change the instrument to a 4 string instrument, then proceed to change the tunings. If you happen to be stuck with more strings than you want then just tune the bottom remaining strings to your bottom note. Then you can ignore them in your fingering.

It is still not the site I was looking for.
Another option would be to the C as a single note as a passing tone to the next chord. Or maybe A...C...back to the A chord again. Let the mind fill in the rest.
Basically, if you know all the notes on the three strings, you can find the tones you need in any location. By definition, a chord is three tones at the same time. A major chord is made up of the 1,3,5 tones from the major scale. If you are in the key of G (major scale = g a b c d e f# g) You need g,b,d. You may have noticed that if you are playing a CBG strung GDg, you already have two of the tones. That is why this tuning is called G5. (the G note, One and the Five, the D note) It is basically a little power chord. If you play the high g string at the 4th fret that adds the b. Then you have a full major chord. If you move down to the 3rd fret on the first string, you flatten the 3rd tone and form a minor chord. Many times it is not necessary to play the full chord to get an impression of the major chord. Two notes at the same time are called intervals or double stops. You can play the 1 and 3 tones...1 and 5 tones...3 and 5 tones. Personally, I feel the trick to undertanding three string instuments is to learn harmony. This simply means adding a second tone to a tone that makes up the melody line you are playing. You go from one note...to two (doublestop)...to three (simply chord). I know at first this might be confusing, but once you understand it the fingerboard makes a whole lot more sense. Enjoy.
At last i have found the site I was looking for but sadly it only has chords for Dad. I thought I would post it as a resource that some would like to have.

There are an amazing amount to choose from for three stringers with dad.

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/rempetiko/pdf/dad.pdf
Brian Lemin said:
At last i have found the site I was looking for but sadly it only has chords for Dad. I thought I would post it as a resource that some would like to have.

Thanks for the link! The same fingerings will work for other I-V-i configurations: you just need to transpose to fit. So, for my GDg three stringer, you would drop each chord by a fifth (all the D-root chords become G-root, the E-roots become A-roots, etc).
Just to claify this:

The major scale is made up of 8 notes (an octive). (Do rei mi fa sol la ti do) Tones 1-8. It all depends on what note of the chromatic scale you begin: (c, d-flat, d, e-flat, e, f, f-sharp, g-flat, g, a-flat, a, b-flat, b) 13 different keys. In the key of G: (gabcdef#g) if you tune GDg that is tones 151. In the key of D: (def#gabc#d) if you tune DAd that is also tones 151. The fingering on your instrument will be exactly the same. The instrument will sound in the different keys all by itself. Enjoy.

Brian Lemin said:

Please keep it simple for bird brains like me.
So what would i have do to make a shape for A Minor in Dad an A minor in GDg? Like how many frets up or down would i have to move the shape? I presume the shift in the number of frets would be the same to transpose all the Dad to GDg chords.
The chart in the link give no clue if we should dampen a string or not when playing a chord.

I notice it talks about "no 3rd" etc I presume it means that the 3rd interval is missing from this chord? That would mean a less "full chord" but in three strings that must be taken for granted that it will happen often.
Duh.... (No reflection on you i can assure you... It is all about me) I can t read note of music without being given 5 minutes to run through f-a-c-e and the other one about good boy! But if something says "A min" for a normal guitar chord, i know the shape and can place it in the correct fret. (Possibly in three inversions too)

I (we) have this huge Dad chord chart, that has about all the chords and more than i will ever want. If i decide to change my tuning(Dad) to your Gdg how can I easily look at that chart and say "all i need to do is move a shape up a "few frets" or down a "few Frets" and and the Dad shape/chord will now be correct for the Gdg tuning."

Just say: Brian, move the shape "Up/Down" "x" number of frets That i will understand! :)

I told you i was dumb! This proves it.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->