A simple little box, a stick and a string.  Something about it "resonates" with people.  (No pun intended.)  It''s a wonderful thing.  And funny  . . . when I first reveal to people I meet, that I build and play cigar box guitars, more and more I find myself almost immediately mentioning something about there being an "online community of thousands" like-minded people. 

When I think about it, I suppose I do that to quickly try and assure folks that I'm not some kind of crazy unabomber type (ha ha).  There is strength in numbers, after all.  And with 5,000 members in sight, I was just reflecting on what an amazing thing we have here in the nation!

Thank You, Mr. Speal for staking out this little corner of the internet for us.  You have done nothing less than spawn a worldwide culture!  Not to overstate things, but I know that this has transformed people and changed lives.  Anybody want to talk about what THE NATION means to them?

Views: 324

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The CBG movement gave me a kickstart back into music. I had given up on guitar and music along time ago.  When I discovered the first yahoo cbg forum I was hooked.  Since then I have been building my own instruments, writing and recording my own music, performed at cbg fests and other venues.  The nation is a great way to network with other builders and musicians.
I got my first guitar at age 51 two years ago, and discovered CBGs and CBN less than one year ago. And while I do play "standard" 6 strings both acoustic and electric, it's the handmade community that has really inspired me to keep playing, learning, and growing. The instruments are great, of course. I've built four cbgs and love seeing other's work. But for me, it's the people here. This is a warm, welcoming, sharing group. I feel completely at ease asking questions, and posting pictures and videos of my building and playing, knowing I'll get friendly responses (I'm sure there are "unfriendly" responses, too, but folks here don't post them.) So thanks to Shane for creating this thing, and thanks to all of you members out there for your friendship, support, and inspiration.

The Nation has helped me lose 110 pounds over the past year.  OK, I'm exercising and cutting down on the truckloads of food I was eating, but now I have a great new hobby/business that is really enjoyable and far more fun than sitting in my easy chair eating tortilla chips.  I saw a Shane Speal video and thought I can build one and learn how to play.  But, I'm a builder by nature (www.chuckthetruck.com), so I've been building way more than learning how to play.  The playing I do is for my own enjoyment and I am slowly improving. 

My hat is off to Shane for founding this great Nation of ours.  And I'll remember to add a few bucks to the tip jar as a way of thanks. (DONE!)

Huntz

I was building CBGs before I happened upon The Nation...but since I joined so much has changed.  I've organised 2 Cigar Box Guitar festivals, been on the radio, been in the local newspapers, got myself a website, gone out to guitars shows to sell my stuff, got loads of orders of making guitars...but best of all I've made a whole load of new friends.  

I've been amazed and delighted that this website was the vehicle for people here in the UK to get together online, but better yet has been what has happened when we have actually got together in the real world and created some great music and good times. It looks set to continue and grow in the UK...it's been a life-affirming adventure, and I've been so pleased how much support and enthusiasm has been generated from this whole mash-up of ideas...whether it's been people building their first guitar or doing their first public performance.  Party on dudes.... 

As member # 68 (more or less), I've been around almost from the beginning.  The Nation (and the old Yahoo forum before it) was singularly important in getting me back into music as a builder and performer.  I will never be as accomplished in either as many of our more illustrious members, but I am doing things I thought I would never get done....

Most importantly are the people.  Although I've only met a handful of our members, I can say that I have friends across the US and around the world.  Without the Nation, I would never have met such wonderful folk....

Thanks to Shane, who I count as one my best "never met" friends, for opening the world of CBGs to me....

the best,

Wichita Sam

I have heard of CBGs for years...my first sighting was on a video Lenny from Daddy Mojo had up on ebay while he was demostrating an vintage Oahu guitar he had up for bids.There were some CBGs in the background as he played the Oahu...I kept hoping he'd play a CBG! Curously...I found this site, decided to build one (HA!!!) for myself. Let me tell you..IT CHANGE MY WHOLE PERSPECTIVE OF GUITAR PLAYING! I've always felt trapped with standard tunings...cheated with dropped-D in the past as I have trouble with chords. CBG playing and open tunings has opened a whole new world for me, both on CBG & regular guitars. Plus..the friends, learning, videos and home recordings experienced here....are priceless.

I've been told since I was a teenager that I'd never be a guitar player. My fingers were too stubby to wrap around the neck for chords, too fat to accurately press for leads and solos. Some went even as far as to blame my Scandinavian heritage on it.

So when I found out there was a community of people making their own guitars, I was intrigued, but it wasn't until about 2 or 3 builds into the obsession that I realized I might be able to design a guitar that would accommodate the shape of my hand. I'm still working on it, but having this web site means I won't have to give up the idea of playing altogether.

Inspiring.
really found the cbg thing because of some great music that was on the old site from Shane and others. Built one to see if it was possible and keep building them because there is a song hidden in each one. Right now here in afghanistan the guitar and banjo members of the nation sent me are a lifeline to sanity. The friends I have made and not yet met are an added bonus and the ones I continue to meet make it even better

A Nation of people who Dream Big Things by taking simple stuff---putting that stuff all together, stirring that stuff up...turning it around and around...shaking that stuff hard till it all blends together to form their own special music!

MickyC49

I enjoy being surounded by folks that are more talented and wise than myself.

totally about inspiration. you just have to hear a cigarbox guitar to want one!

and they look like folk art - you produce a cbg and then actually play a few tunes on it, man, people are mesmerized.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->