I know I know, we've only just got over 2011, but if we are to stand any chance on improving on this years fest, we need to start working on it tomorrow morning!

So, any thoughts? What did you like? What could have been better?

Needless to say, talks have already started, but we'd like to throw it wide open this time round - where do you want it? Who is going to run it? Who do you want to see?

Dont hold back guys....

Views: 1120

Replies to This Discussion

Vanfest (here) hold an event every year in Worcestershire which is partly music-orientated with a large audience.  This might be another out-reach event suitable for the HGMC and Boxstock.

A few other random thoughts - not all directly relevant to Boxstock but possibly useful nonetheless.

- University campuses can be good venues for conference/festival type events. Many of them have the advantage of offering performance spaces plus other rooms plus cheap accommodation on the same site. The downside as regards Boxstock is that they're mostly only available for big events during the holiday months when students are away - ie. not October. So maybe not for Boxstock 2012 but worth bearing in mind for the future (especially if we could find one where there were people interested in some sort of co-promotion arrangement)

- Is Boxstock always going to be an October event?  I guess that, because summer is the prime festival season, then an October date lowers the odds of unfortunate clashes. Is that the thinking?

- While I agree with what's been said about finding a location that results in fair journey distances for as many people as possible, we shouldn't forget the significance of London - eg. as a centre of the music and media industries and a place with a huge population and a lot of music fans. It doesn't have to mean a Boxstock-type event. It might well be a prime place for finding opportunities to piggyback some sort of HGMC presence onto another event. So Boxstock in Sheffield, or wherever the powers that be settle upon, but also something in London eventually (Maybe the London group is the place to discuss this further).

- When thinking about where CBGs/HGMC might find opportunities we need to think outside the box a bit. Blues festivals are obviously opportunities (Upton was great), but if we just think in terns of blues then we're limiting ourselves. Improvised musical instruments have never been confined to blues, there's pictorial evidence of their early use in jazz and folk at the very least (and probably many other forms too). I say again that it has to be worth at least some investigation to see if there's any opportunity to have a presence at the Cambridge Folk Festival, which is a major event with BBC coverage but is also the sort of affair where a building workshop would fit right in.

PS. Having had experience of organising substantial events in the past I can second what John says about the importance of planning as far in advance as possible.

Some good points there Mark. The timing sort of came about because originally I wanted to do the 1st CBG fest before the summer, but in order to give enough notice, I postponed it to after the summer..hence October. It's not an absolutely fixed point, but it keeps it clear of clashes with summer events, and falls nicely between the end of the summer break and Christmas.

Other music events..almost any genre of music would provide a good platform..but obviously folk, country, indie and blues would work well.  Once I've got my office straight, done the minutes of the AGM, I'll start trying to get my head in order.

Just requested Sunday off for next years boxstock......
The HGMC elves are working on artists / venues / dates for next year already....

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

Pink Toothbrush Alternative Market & Record fair

Started by Keith 66. Last reply by Keith 66 Apr 24, 2023. 1 Reply

Small box woes?

Started by Sleepy John. Last reply by Jock MacHinery Jun 15, 2020. 12 Replies

Newby

Started by David Tarry. Last reply by David Bowes May 11, 2020. 7 Replies

FX rigs and recommendations

Started by Alex Rigby Mar 25, 2019. 0 Replies

London One Man Band festival with Hollowbelly

Started by Blind Boy Fullers. Last reply by Blind Boy Fullers Mar 20, 2019. 4 Replies

Best Amp

Started by Seasick Mick. Last reply by Seasick Mick Mar 13, 2019. 18 Replies

Looking to play some festivals next year

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Alex Rigby Jan 13, 2019. 3 Replies

New Site goes live!!

Started by John Pilling. Last reply by t-belly johnson Oct 30, 2018. 14 Replies

Demise of Gibson

Started by Sleepy John. Last reply by Sleepy John May 3, 2018. 3 Replies

boxes for sale

Started by Rick D. Last reply by Tony Dec 14, 2017. 5 Replies

My latest build - hubcap resonator

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Slow Blues Dani & Ol' Grey Bear Oct 10, 2017. 4 Replies

My CBG

Started by Steve. Last reply by Steve Sep 13, 2017. 2 Replies

Some of my songs

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Alex Rigby Jun 7, 2017. 2 Replies

School project

Started by Keith 66. Last reply by Michael Fred Johnson Feb 5, 2017. 8 Replies

Old Timers

Started by Mal Chilvers. Last reply by David L. Oct 13, 2016. 2 Replies

Looking to get started

Started by Hubert Knight. Last reply by Hubert Knight Oct 11, 2016. 6 Replies

I Could Really Do With A Jig !

Started by Philip Hale. Last reply by Philip Hale Aug 5, 2016. 19 Replies

Help with parts please

Started by Toofy Peg. Last reply by Fomhorach Jun 14, 2016. 19 Replies

Brass Eyelets - big ones - where to get?

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Fomhorach Apr 27, 2016. 16 Replies

Latest Activity

Uncle John commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Shout with Joy to God: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"Very good.  Original song- did you put the psalm to music,  Doug?"
35 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Poorness Studios's video
37 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Dogleg Steve's video
Thumbnail

Fiddly Rag from the book Cigar Box Picking by Dogleg Steve

"Another very good one.  Thanks, Steve."
38 minutes ago
39 minutes ago
Thumbnail

My entry for C B Gitty's 4th International Cigar Box video playoffs 2023 Dogleg Steve St Martins Rag

"Good to see and hear you, Steve!  Sounding very fine.   A bright and happy song.…"
40 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Gary O'slide's video
42 minutes ago
AGP # liked Gary O'slide's video
14 hours ago
AGP # liked Dogleg Steve's video
15 hours ago
15 hours ago
15 hours ago
AGP # liked Gary O'slide's video
15 hours ago
AGP # liked Doug Thorsvik's video
15 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->