UPDATE ON UK CBG FEST 2010

OK guys and gals....I'm STILL getting my head organising round this years event..but it's all coming together nicely.  

The staff at The Public are being very helpful in terms of press releases, laying on the PA, lighting and video stuff  - I've just been down to do a photo shoot with the local press.

LATEST NEWS
We've got Roosterman doing his "How to Build a Cigar Box Guitar" workshop, demonstrating all the stages you'll need to know about. 

Cigar Box Guitar kits and parts will be available on the day, so you can pick up your supplies and get building. I'll be finalising costs on this shortly, so do bring a bit of pocket money.

I will be doing a trouble shooting workshop, so if you've got any woes regarding fretting, finishes, electrics...pretty much anything CBG related, I'll be there to try and help you sort it out.

Guitars will be available to buy on the day - if you want to exhibit your wares, let me know and I'll sort out a space for you (it free). If you are thinking of buying something, do bear in mind that most builders will only be accepting CASH..so either put a little extra folding in your wallet, or be prepared to pop out for 5 minutes to the cashpoint. 

Shane Speal's & Max Shore's film "Songs Inside The Box" will be shown - it's first UK public screening.

On the Friday evening  we will be setting up at the venue, and then it's off for a drink and a bite to eat. If anyone wants to join us, either to bring in your gear to the venue or join in the night out, give me a shout.

On Sunday afternoon, my band Chickenbone Blues will be playing at the same venue, so if you are haven't gone home by then, why not take it easy, stop by for lunch and the gig?

Any suggestions, requests or problems -  do let me know.  This is a grassroots event, so I'm open to accommodating fresh ideas...just get in touch.

Prices are the same as last year- £25.00 full ticket, £5.00 evening ticket. Concession tickets for students and JobSeekers are available at £15.00 and £3.00, and I also have a very limited offer of concession all-day ticket and hotel accommodation for the Saturday night at only £20.00 - message me direct about both these deals.

The Cigar Box Nation group numbers are well up on last year (just coming up to the 200 compared to 80+ last year), so I'm anticipating a bigger turnout, but not so big as it will change the nature and vibe of the event - I still want to keep it intimate, lively....and above all FUN.

Looking forward to what you've got to pitch in....and see you on the day.

Regards

Mr Chickenbone

Views: 777

Replies to This Discussion

Hi....the date is definitely Saturday 16th October.
Hi,

now that the date has been confirmed, I have submitted my holiday request so that I can be there. If I can make it I will be willing to lend a hand on the day if you need it.
Hi Kevin,
I am the guilty party making the documentary :) The first one being produced is a short doc and I hope to be able to make a longer more in depth version down the road, which will include some of this year's festival. Fingers crossed on that one.
Lesley :)

Kevin Lawton said:
Please let us know the date as soon as, so I can start saving up ! Unless, by some miracle, the recession does actually end soon I'll probably be hitching a lift or whatever. Couldn't make it last year but am determined to this. What is all this that was being said about a documentary in February ? Sorry to re-visit ancient history but my internet connection was no good back then. Oct 18th is my thirtieth wedding anniversary, so I'd much rather be at a CBG event that weekend than with mean old grumpy-drawers. :-)
208 days until the fest!!!
Plenty of time for me to start worrying then!!

Roosterman said:
208 days until the fest!!!
You havnt started yet??? Oh dear.... ;o)
Hi Guys 'n' gals....more news coming in about 3 weeks after I've met with the venue management, but I'm looking for people for the following tasks 'n' t'ings -

Host players workshops
Host building workshops (I already have one team leader, but will need a gopher/general factotum to do a bit of running and making sure people don't cut off their fingers etc.).
Leaders for afternoon open mic & jam sessions.
Event photographer
Driver to pick up Tinqui8 from Stanstead airport (flying in from France) and bring him to the venue (and ideally a return lift)..dates to be confirmed, but probably Friday collection at Stanstead and Sunday return trip.
Items for raffle prizes.
Cigar Box Guitars for a 2 week exhibition (starting a week in advance of the Festival)- this is not a donation, but for display..and you'll be able to put a price on them and sell them thru' the exhibition catalogue (well that's going to be my proposal to the venue management)!!
Volunteers for open mic performances..get your name down!!..I'm not sure what the demand will be, but I need to know in case I start needing extra space and another PA system..I've already got one space booked for the workshops, the theatre on hold for "other events" and the main ground floor "PinkTank" taken over for the evening gig.

We've done this once already with last year's event, but now I'm asking for the enthusiasm and support to become a bit more practical..I'll see if I can offer concessions prices or free tickets for people who take up these tasks, but until I have further meetings with the venue management I'm not sure how this is going to pan-out.

Regards

Mr Chickenbone
It sounds great all ready!! :o)

The pre-show display sounds like an excellent way to build up an interest before the gig. I can certainly send down a few guitars and custom amps.

Il also volunteer to get stuck in with building workshops and can take charge of the raffle if you like? I can donate something again and maybe compile a donations list, sort tickets etc?

Im stoked that Tinqui8 is attending too - Im sure we all felt the same last year when his lift failed to show.
Thanks Ben..I'm sure it will all fall into place. The difference this year is that I'm dealing with a large arts centre rather than a local privately run bar, so I've got to try and punch above my weight in terms of what I'm asking for from the venue. If I can provide the organisational drive and back it up with a decent bit of volunteer manpower I reckon I can get what I want from them.

I reckon we are ALL going to have another great weekend, for the audience, players, builders and newcomers to the whole scene.
sounds good guys im pritty local to brum so any help you need... i'll do my bit to help out!
Hi there,

I've submitted forms for time off for the festival. I will offer whatever help I can - if needed - and would really like to play at the open mic session as long as I can get the time off.
Sounds fantastic John. Looking at the list I can't see much that I could volunteer for at the moment but I'll find something for the raffle though and if I can pluck up courage, I might have a crack at the open mic session.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

Pink Toothbrush Alternative Market & Record fair

Started by Keith 66. Last reply by Keith 66 Apr 24, 2023. 1 Reply

Small box woes?

Started by Sleepy John. Last reply by Jock MacHinery Jun 15, 2020. 12 Replies

Newby

Started by David Tarry. Last reply by David Bowes May 11, 2020. 7 Replies

FX rigs and recommendations

Started by Alex Rigby Mar 25, 2019. 0 Replies

London One Man Band festival with Hollowbelly

Started by Blind Boy Fullers. Last reply by Blind Boy Fullers Mar 20, 2019. 4 Replies

Best Amp

Started by Seasick Mick. Last reply by Seasick Mick Mar 13, 2019. 18 Replies

Looking to play some festivals next year

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Alex Rigby Jan 13, 2019. 3 Replies

New Site goes live!!

Started by John Pilling. Last reply by t-belly johnson Oct 30, 2018. 14 Replies

Demise of Gibson

Started by Sleepy John. Last reply by Sleepy John May 3, 2018. 3 Replies

boxes for sale

Started by Rick D. Last reply by Tony Dec 14, 2017. 5 Replies

My latest build - hubcap resonator

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Slow Blues Dani & Ol' Grey Bear Oct 10, 2017. 4 Replies

My CBG

Started by Steve. Last reply by Steve Sep 13, 2017. 2 Replies

Some of my songs

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Alex Rigby Jun 7, 2017. 2 Replies

School project

Started by Keith 66. Last reply by Michael Fred Johnson Feb 5, 2017. 8 Replies

Old Timers

Started by Mal Chilvers. Last reply by David L. Oct 13, 2016. 2 Replies

Looking to get started

Started by Hubert Knight. Last reply by Hubert Knight Oct 11, 2016. 6 Replies

I Could Really Do With A Jig !

Started by Philip Hale. Last reply by Philip Hale Aug 5, 2016. 19 Replies

Help with parts please

Started by Toofy Peg. Last reply by Fomhorach Jun 14, 2016. 19 Replies

Brass Eyelets - big ones - where to get?

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Fomhorach Apr 27, 2016. 16 Replies

Latest Activity

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->