I am trying to grt a proper connection and placement for a rod pizel I bought here for my first  build ' I have a new fender mustang 1, as soon as I plug in the CBG I get a loud HUM, I thought it was an amp problem but when I took it to the shop it sounded great on any of their gutiars so the problem is in my CBG I cliped the plug end and souldered it to on of Grittys mono jacks I changed the wiring around to see if it was backwards but nothing helps ... PLEASE looking for HELP. Thanks Randy

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• On the rod piezo there is no need to ground it...i use the rods alot in my custom bridges. When you cut the 1/8" plug off the braided steel is your ground wire...i go down about 1" and fish the hot wire out of the braided part. Twist the braided wire and lay some solder on it, clean the hot wire and lay some solder on that too....now their ready to connect to a standard 1/4" input jack. Also you can cut the length of the rod shorter if you need too...tip - when you can the rod [ i use a pair of sidecutters ] take a needlenose pliers and re-square the end. Inside the rod there is a tiny brass strip on the top and on the bottom...you don`t want them touching each other or the rod will not work.
  • You may also find help in the Electronics group here. I don't think grounding the bridge will help.

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/group/cbgwiringelectronics

• I know you said you checked the wiring, but a hum is almost always a grounding issue. Piezos don't usually care which wire is the ground. Are you sure you have the proper lug on the jack?

Can you post a picture of the wiring so we can have a look?

• i am trying to post a pic. but having some problems. however the rod pickup has only one wire and a braided cover alsoit came with aplug attached , i cliped the plug and solderd the braided side to the inner small pole and the wire to the other. I stoped at the store where i bought the amp with ny cbg they to try adding a ground from the pizo to the bridge (bolt) or the tail piece witch is a metal hinge , or possibly a (ground lift) what do you think??? thanks Randy

Dan Sleep said:

I know you said you checked the wiring, but a hum is almost always a grounding issue. Piezos don't usually care which wire is the ground. Are you sure you have the proper lug on the jack?

Can you post a picture of the wiring so we can have a look?

This reply was deleted.