Not sure about 15 minutes and even less sure about fame, but tonight at 10pm GMT (Mon 28th November) BCFM - that's Bristol Community FM - is putting out an interview they did with me about cigar box guitars.

The program is called "A Cup of Tea and a piece of Cake" and is hosted by Dave Miles. More details are on their website. For those in the Bristol area (who have absolutely nothing better to do) the program is on 93.2fm. For those not near to Bristol but who are also without anything meaningful in their lives, you can download it afterwards from the website after it has been aired.

I don't know how good it will sound. I sent him some tracks and we did the interview on Skype. I also played some pieces during the Skype call and I understand that he may use some of those. I don't know how much it has been edited down or at what point in the program my bit appears. I was really nervous, especially during the playing bit, and I can't say I was very happy with my playing, Still, I did the best I could.

So, having said all that, Dave does play a very interesting selection of music, and it as more than likely that the other bits will be more interesting than my little segment. Still, it's not everyday that I get interviewed on a radio music program, so I thought I would blow my trumpet a little.

P.S. The Professor found this link to the live feed.

http://bcfm.org.uk/wp-content/themes/atahualpa353/player.php

Many thanks.

P.P.S. IT'S NOW HAPPENED. My bit started at about 39 minutes into the program. In fact Dave didn't edit much out at all. I hadn't realised how many times I mentioned Cigar Box Nation and I also got two mentions of my own website.

More P.S.s. Dan now has uploaded the interview to his web page here. Thanks Dan.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Michael.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to it and for the comment.

All the best.

John

• Very nice John, just had a bit of a listen. 

• Hi Brickdust and Professor.

I think that in response to what both of you have said, I feel that what made the biggest difference between this and someone who was maybe just filling the time with some novelty item is the fact that Dave Miles is really enthusiastic about the music that he plays. He was genuinely interested in these instruments and spent quite a bit of time finding out about them before we spoke on Skype.

Thanks to both of you for listening and the really kind comments.

All the best.

John

• Hi John, Just listened to the interview, well done although I think you made it too easy for the interviewer. Did he only ask 3 questions. The guitar and playing sounded great.

Prof.

PS Just checked out your photography, not bad either!

• Hi Belinda and Steve.

Thank you for listening. I appreciate the comments. I have just added the interview to my website as well. Got to make the most of these things when they occur.

All the best.

John

• hey, great stuff!! You came across well, both the talking and the playing.... and good plugs for The Nation : -)

• Very well made and presented interview John, and great playing..! (-:

• Hi John.

Thanks very much. The guitar at the beginning we the double aluminium necked one and the rest was played on the 601 three string that I have for sale. I have permission from Dave to use the interview on my website, so it will appear there very soon I hope.

Thanks again.

John

• Hiya..managed to tune in and catch most of the interview..well done..the guitar sounded great too!

• Hi David and Mark.

Thanks to both of you for listening.

David. I didn't quite see myself as a rising star but I appreciate the compliment. I think one thing that made a bit difference is that Dave Miles is really interested in blues and Americana and wasn't just using it as a program filler. We were in touch a few times before the interview and I think he will probably continue to be interested. He is a true music enthusiast and I think it shows.

All the best.

John

This reply was deleted.