Hi all. Thought it would be nice to check in here if you're British. I know there's quite afew CBGers in the UK now because I've had quite a few emails from my blog. Time to come out of the woodwork and introduce yourself. How long have you been into CBGs? What got you started? What part of the UK do you live in? Do you know of any UK CBG events?

I'll kick it off. I'm David Ward (aka smojo) and live in West Yorkshire. Got into CBGs when I saw one on Ebay and bought it about 3 years ago. Started building and playing them. I have a blog going at

http://smojo-cigar-box-guitars.blogspot.com/ (sorry the hyperlink function doesn't seem to work)

Don't know of any events here yet but it would be cool if we could get one going sometime.

Views: 1791

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Smojo and yellowbelly,
Cheers for the welcome !!

Yellowbelly Flatt said:
Hi Mark,
just thought I'd say hello and welcome to the nation. I hope to see your photos soon.

Yellowbelly

smojo said:
Hi Mark - welcome to the nuthouse. Another Northener eh! Must be something in the water. Look forward to some photos.

mark crew said:
Hi All,
I`m Mark 38 from Doncaster South Yorkshire and very new to CBG( Thanks to Seasick Steve ).
but ive been messing about with guitars for years.
So now ive took the plung and started making two of my own, one is being made out an old cb radio case so it really will be a CBG(haha) an the other one is made from a cigar box.
i`ll put some photos up here once they are finished.
hi there southpaw dick i play aleft handed lowebowe made by the legend john lowe, might be the only one in the uk . got into cbg s 3 years ago after watching richard jonstone on youtube.i live near durham tyne and wear.hope to get more into the uk scene .
Hello there

My name is Brian. I used to based in London and was a harp player with a little Blues band in the 80's. Moved to Devon a couple of years ago with my guitar collection and bought a mountain dulcimer. Decided I wanted a stick dulcimer so I set about making one from scratch – that led me into various cigar box type instruments – (actually I either make the bodies or use old trinket boxes) and I now have 6 assorted versions. Then I discovered the joys of fretless necks and then went electric.

I have a couple of channels on YouTube and have just opened a new one to showcase my music http://www.youtube.com/user/MRandomWritingsMusic

I have a bunch of “How to” videos or more “How I did it” videos showing how I made my instruments if anyone is interested.

Hoping to meet some like minded people and pick up a few tips on this site.

Oh and if anyone needs a harp player for a local gig...

Cheers

Brian
Hi Brian

Glad you found us and welcome. Had a quick look at one of your vids. Love it. Haven't time to watch them all through now but I'm definitley going back to them later. What are you using for the special effects on the video side of it and what are you using to get that 'slowly vanishing repeat' effect on the audio side of it. Fascinated to know. Cheers, David (smojo)
Hi my name is jase. Still hav'nt developed a blues name yet :(
I come from Widemouth bay in Cornwall. moved to Exeter in Devon about five years ago.
I started playing the guitar when i was about 16. played the same old thing for about 8 years. (whilst my slide got dusty on the shelf) until one day!!! i always loved the blues and the slide made it. I started to build CBG's about a year ago It was because of the legend seasick Steve. Thought i could build a 3 string guitar. then discovered the cigar box. I've been obsessed since.
Hi all
Been interested in CBG's for ages, but never got round to making anything of my own. However - maybe twice a year I get the urge to make something I've not made before. It started looking into building a kayak, but there's not that much room in my flat, so CBG's filled a hole. I'm a very bad guitar and banjo player - and I've settled on cutting up an old guitar I found in a junk shop to make my first CBB (is that what Cigar Box Banjos are called?).
I work in museum object conservation, preserving our nations heritage. Hope that some of my skills might come in handy.
Anyone know of a good way to cut gown a guitar neck without replacing the frets?
Welcome guys. Jason I think we have a few members down Devon way now, you might be able to seek them out and arrange an informal meet-up. Yes, cbg stuff does get obsessive. Andrew, sounds like an interesting job. I once considered cutting a 6 string neck in half to get two 3 stringers out of it but decided it was easier to make new ones. The only way I can think you might be able to do it is with a bandsaw with a metal cutting blade fitted.
How much do you want to take off?

Also, consider taking the frets off first. It's actually quite easy to remove frets and to fit new ones.

Andrew Hughes said:
Anyone know of a good way to cut gown a guitar neck without replacing the frets?
Hi, I'm Carl.
Another southerner (London born) transplanted to the North. Lived in Warrington for the last 15 years, but as a kid lived over a lot of Northern England and some of Scotland.

I'm 41, and have no musical ability except a very guitar and drum lessons at school about 30 years ago.
I'm planning on making a 3 string out of either an old buscuit tin or lunch box and go electric and make some noise with it.

I just split after a 15 year relationship went sour and have my own place now so I can make as much racket as I like without upsetting her, learning to play slide.

Oh and by the way, yes I am an old 80's goth and keep up with it, and plan to learn/adapt some of the old 80's guitar based goth numbers to CBG as well as old punk and blues sound.
Looks like I get to be the first to jump in and say welcome Carl.

Don't worry about musical ability - if you had guitar and drum lessons at school you probably have more of it than me and possibly more of it than some people who nevertheless play a pretty mean CBG!

The biscuit tin plan sounds great - my first build used a tin and I think tins can often be a better choice than wooden boxes.

And you can certainly try playing whatever the heck you like on it - CBGs are certainly not exclusively blues instruments...of course you'll need some sort of cigar box chorusy, phasery reverb thing if you want a genuinely "cigar box goth" sound. Actually, now I come to think about it, I've heard several people doing versions of "Personal Jesus" on CBGs and that started out as a Depeche Mode number - not exactly goth but they were definitely a big 80s band.
Funnily enough, It was the Johnny Cash version of Personal Jesus that I prefer most. That and his version of N.I.N's Hurt. There is real pain in that.

I'm sure of the rockier stuff, or even the electronic Cruxshadows stuff could translate well.

Now just need to find that biscuit tin, without buying a full one and eating my way to a guitar.

Mark aka. Junk Box Instruments said:

Don't worry about musical ability - if you had guitar and drum lessons at school you probably have more of it than me and possibly more of it than some people who nevertheless play a pretty mean CBG!

The biscuit tin plan sounds great - my first build used a tin and I think tins can often be a better choice than wooden boxes.

And you can certainly try playing whatever the heck you like on it - CBGs are certainly not exclusively blues instruments...of course you'll need some sort of cigar box chorusy, phasery reverb thing if you want a genuinely "cigar box goth" sound. Actually, now I come to think about it, I've heard several people doing versions of "Personal Jesus" on CBGs and that started out as a Depeche Mode number - not exactly goth but they were definitely a big 80s band.
This springs to mind.

Mark aka. Junk Box Instruments said:

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

Pink Toothbrush Alternative Market & Record fair

Started by Keith 66. Last reply by Keith 66 Apr 24, 2023. 1 Reply

Small box woes?

Started by Sleepy John. Last reply by Jock MacHinery Jun 15, 2020. 12 Replies

Newby

Started by David Tarry. Last reply by David Bowes May 11, 2020. 7 Replies

FX rigs and recommendations

Started by Alex Rigby Mar 25, 2019. 0 Replies

London One Man Band festival with Hollowbelly

Started by Blind Boy Fullers. Last reply by Blind Boy Fullers Mar 20, 2019. 4 Replies

Best Amp

Started by Seasick Mick. Last reply by Seasick Mick Mar 13, 2019. 18 Replies

Looking to play some festivals next year

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Alex Rigby Jan 13, 2019. 3 Replies

New Site goes live!!

Started by John Pilling. Last reply by t-belly johnson Oct 30, 2018. 14 Replies

Demise of Gibson

Started by Sleepy John. Last reply by Sleepy John May 3, 2018. 3 Replies

boxes for sale

Started by Rick D. Last reply by Tony Dec 14, 2017. 5 Replies

My latest build - hubcap resonator

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Slow Blues Dani & Ol' Grey Bear Oct 10, 2017. 4 Replies

My CBG

Started by Steve. Last reply by Steve Sep 13, 2017. 2 Replies

Some of my songs

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Alex Rigby Jun 7, 2017. 2 Replies

School project

Started by Keith 66. Last reply by Michael Fred Johnson Feb 5, 2017. 8 Replies

Old Timers

Started by Mal Chilvers. Last reply by David L. Oct 13, 2016. 2 Replies

Looking to get started

Started by Hubert Knight. Last reply by Hubert Knight Oct 11, 2016. 6 Replies

I Could Really Do With A Jig !

Started by Philip Hale. Last reply by Philip Hale Aug 5, 2016. 19 Replies

Help with parts please

Started by Toofy Peg. Last reply by Fomhorach Jun 14, 2016. 19 Replies

Brass Eyelets - big ones - where to get?

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Fomhorach Apr 27, 2016. 16 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->