Hi all. Thought it would be nice to check in here if you're British. I know there's quite afew CBGers in the UK now because I've had quite a few emails from my blog. Time to come out of the woodwork and introduce yourself. How long have you been into CBGs? What got you started? What part of the UK do you live in? Do you know of any UK CBG events?

I'll kick it off. I'm David Ward (aka smojo) and live in West Yorkshire. Got into CBGs when I saw one on Ebay and bought it about 3 years ago. Started building and playing them. I have a blog going at

http://smojo-cigar-box-guitars.blogspot.com/ (sorry the hyperlink function doesn't seem to work)

Don't know of any events here yet but it would be cool if we could get one going sometime.

Views: 1791

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Penfoot! This guy from Staff Benda Billi (who were on Jools Holland last night) has a similar instrument to your 'Twang Can'. I think he uses wood rather than hosepipe and he holds some kind of pickup in his hand while playing it! Sounds good!

Penfoot said:
Hi all - Im Penfoot ('coz i jumped of wall and an upright penlid went thru my shoe and into m foot a bout an inch and a half(ouch)).  I live in Colwall In Herefordshire.  I was introduced to the scene after seeing Chickenbone John at a guitar show where he easily gathered a crowd bigger than the £2,000 vintage Gibsons and other highly priced guitars.  I have created two didley bows and 2 three strings so far - bu im working on a twin neck.  I have created my very own "Twang Can" but i dont thing anyone would easily play it.
The whole idea is to hold the can under your right arm while tightening  and loosening the hosepipe and picking the string with your right hand - impossible to get a decent tune. :)

Hello there Sean, Penfoot, Barry, D.K. and John,

welcome to the Nation. I hope you find it a useful, friendly, informative and supportive organisation. I know I have.

I'm glad to introduced you to the scene....I love that part of doing the guitar shows. I think it does sometimes annoy or frustrate the people trying to sell expensive guitars when I get a crowd to hear me play a £50 "stick and a box" guitar..especially when they shake their heads and say.."what a sound,  you've just blown away all this expensive tonewood bull..."

John

Penfoot said:

Hi all - Im Penfoot ('coz i jumped of wall and an upright penlid went thru my shoe and into m foot a bout an inch and a half(ouch)).  I live in Colwall In Herefordshire.  I was introduced to the scene after seeing Chickenbone John at a guitar show where he easily gathered a crowd bigger than the £2,000 vintage Gibsons and other highly priced guitars.  I have created two didley bows and 2 three strings so far - bu im working on a twin neck.  I have created my very own "Twang Can" but i dont thing anyone would easily play it.
The whole idea is to hold the can under your right arm while tightening  and loosening the hosepipe and picking the string with your right hand - impossible to get a decent tune. :)
thanks dude.yeah its brilliant.glad i joined.

Yellowbelly Flatt said:

Hello there Sean, Penfoot, Barry, D.K. and John,

welcome to the Nation. I hope you find it a useful, friendly, informative and supportive organisation. I know I have.

Hi ColinS,

yeh I did see him - and am a bit annoyed as I thought i was unique, but oh well - at least he can get a tune out of it.

Hi All, I'm Sammy (59 and still ticking...just) and I've got the CBG bug. Live in West Yorkshire around the Pontefract area. Started playing the Ukulele about a year ago, loved it, then stumbled (as you do) across CBG and delta blues. Got my first build fret's in this weekend, sadly it's not a cigar box, but a similar old gorgeous box that I had in the garage that contained drills etc. Made my neck from dismantling part of an old oak seat I had in the garden. (reminds me I betta stop people sitting on it now!) Just got to manage the electrics now, and we are up and running. Then I just need to get some lessons as I'm a bit of a strummer rather than a picker............so I've got a big learning curve ahead. Can't wait to make a CBU (Cigar Box Ukulele).......but I better not get ahead of myself as I've haven't nailed this down yet. I'll bang a short video up when she's launched....hopefully next week. Great to be associated with a smashing group.

Hi there Sammy,

welcome to the nation. Hope to see your vid and photos soon.

I'm also a ukulele plater - normally baritone -  and I play in a ukulele orchestra and really enjoy this cigar box thing.

Looks like there must be a powerful force in that area..there's quite a few CBG people around that bit of Yorkshire...JuJu, Dogfinger, Soulcatcher, Ant, Michael Tinker to mention a few...and I'm from Barnsley originally.

Thanks for your comments. Ironcially we went to see the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain after stumbling on a you tube video, got hooked. Would love to consider making a CBBaritone but I guess that would take me away from the GCEA that I've just started getting used to. Looks like you are all very helpful, there seems to be so much information on the site, I'm getting lost at the moment. It's like an Aladdin's cave. cheers Sammy

lowbelly Flatt said:

Hi there Sammy,

welcome to the nation. Hope to see your vid and photos soon.

I'm also a ukulele plater - normally baritone -  and I play in a ukulele orchestra and really enjoy this cigar box thing.

HI im ian from chelmsford in essex,

I am a carpenter and joiner by trade and have a passion for anything to do with guitars especially the blues i got into the blues by following the late great GARY MOORE RIP,

I went to australia in february and went to a place called eumundi market near brisbane and lo and behold there were 2 live acts playing one called eb n flo and the other was juzzie smith THAT WAS MY MOMENT OH MY GOD HOW GOOD WAS THAT BRILLIANT.

i then came across a stall selling you guessed it CIGAR BOX GUITARS although i did the impulse thing bought it got ripped off £365 ouch, it made me start building my own i even managed to get a cigar box in singapore on the way home and my brother is now the proud owner of that guitar see my first build thats the box.

Ive since joined this amazing site and cant believe how great everbody is

Ive also just purchased a field holler guitar from shane hes even done it lefty for me bless him check his album out AMAZING . hope to speak to you soon hope you liked the story .

Welcome Ian, glad you found us. Be sure to check out the UK group http://www.homegrownmusiccollective.com and maybe consider joining. Have fun.

Hi my name is Mark and I'm building a CBG. There I've said it!!!

I'm a total and complete novice with regards to playing. I'm one of those odd fellas that like to create. I'm hoping that my children will be inspired by me having to learn to play what I've made and continue with music.

I love the blues and can't get enough of Mr Wolds' magic.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

Pink Toothbrush Alternative Market & Record fair

Started by Keith 66. Last reply by Keith 66 Apr 24, 2023. 1 Reply

Small box woes?

Started by Sleepy John. Last reply by Jock MacHinery Jun 15, 2020. 12 Replies

Newby

Started by David Tarry. Last reply by David Bowes May 11, 2020. 7 Replies

FX rigs and recommendations

Started by Alex Rigby Mar 25, 2019. 0 Replies

London One Man Band festival with Hollowbelly

Started by Blind Boy Fullers. Last reply by Blind Boy Fullers Mar 20, 2019. 4 Replies

Best Amp

Started by Seasick Mick. Last reply by Seasick Mick Mar 13, 2019. 18 Replies

Looking to play some festivals next year

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Alex Rigby Jan 13, 2019. 3 Replies

New Site goes live!!

Started by John Pilling. Last reply by t-belly johnson Oct 30, 2018. 14 Replies

Demise of Gibson

Started by Sleepy John. Last reply by Sleepy John May 3, 2018. 3 Replies

boxes for sale

Started by Rick D. Last reply by Tony Dec 14, 2017. 5 Replies

My latest build - hubcap resonator

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Slow Blues Dani & Ol' Grey Bear Oct 10, 2017. 4 Replies

My CBG

Started by Steve. Last reply by Steve Sep 13, 2017. 2 Replies

Some of my songs

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Alex Rigby Jun 7, 2017. 2 Replies

School project

Started by Keith 66. Last reply by Michael Fred Johnson Feb 5, 2017. 8 Replies

Old Timers

Started by Mal Chilvers. Last reply by David L. Oct 13, 2016. 2 Replies

Looking to get started

Started by Hubert Knight. Last reply by Hubert Knight Oct 11, 2016. 6 Replies

I Could Really Do With A Jig !

Started by Philip Hale. Last reply by Philip Hale Aug 5, 2016. 19 Replies

Help with parts please

Started by Toofy Peg. Last reply by Fomhorach Jun 14, 2016. 19 Replies

Brass Eyelets - big ones - where to get?

Started by Alex Rigby. Last reply by Fomhorach Apr 27, 2016. 16 Replies

Latest Activity

Carl Floyd replied to Bill Andy's discussion Copper Hardware
1 hour ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Glenn Kaiser's photo
Thumbnail

MAY 2024 Take Down Diddley

"Thanks Doug, will do :) -Glenn"
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

Rainbow Stew (low budget cover on cigar box guitar) | Merle Haggard

"A new one for me Kale, and I like it! I always enjoy your CBG covers. Happy Sunday!"
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Glenn Kaiser's photo
Thumbnail

MAY 2024 Take Down Diddley

"Clean and simple! Ready for a little Jailhouse Rock. Go for it Glenn!"
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #533 - ''Beware of Wife''

"This one is definitely an attention getter Alan! I’m not brave enough to build one like this.…"
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

Decoration on the Spider & Frog

"I like it Andries! "
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Mick Tickner's photo
Thumbnail

cbg2.4

"Me too! It’s a challenge to nail everything right out of the gate, so tweak them when you…"
3 hours ago
Poorness Studios posted a video

Rainbow Stew (low budget cover on cigar box guitar) | Merle Haggard

Happy Sunday folks. I've wanted to cover this 1981 Merle Haggard tune for a while and I decided today is the day. Here's a stripped down cover with nothing b...
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

On Top of Spaghetti: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

"Thanks and glad you enjoyed this one Alan! Another Slinger requested song and fun to do. I really…"
3 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Mick Tickner's photo
Thumbnail

cbg1

"Very nice!"
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

cbg2.4

"Yup.  I get it.  A bit ratty, funky much played and much enjoyed."
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

cbg3.2

"Very handsome."
4 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->