My new box will have a peizo transducer in it, and I wanted to wire in a volume knob, but I am not sure on the wiring...I tried to hook it up the other day, and I would turn it up and get a ton of feed back and sound, then I would turn it down and still get sound with less feed back.....cool effect, but not was i was looking for....need help on this one.

Views: 8222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

seems we've lost all ted's wiring diagrams, so heres the piezo with volume control

Thanks for re-posting this! This diagram will be of great help. CHEERS!

c# merle said:
seems we've lost all ted's wiring diagrams, so heres the piezo with volume control

I don't have a volume control on my guitar. How does this change without that?
The red (hot) will go directly to the "tip" hot output on the jack. Then the black (ground) will go directly to the "sleeve" part of the jack. The center post on the volume pot is like the send line. The post to the left is like the in line. All you are doing there is making a direct circuit with out the use of the pot. (if that make any sense) to ya at all!

Kevin M. Kraft said:
I don't have a volume control on my guitar. How does this change without that?
I followed the diagram above on my resonator and it worked perfectly. No "noise", and a nice smooth volume control without any peaks. I used a standard 250K pot.
Most of his wiring diagrams were adapted from seymore duncan's, but yeah, teds influence is obvious here.

Randy S. Bretz said:
Funny how Ted`s not a member here anymore, but all his info is.
i wanna know how you wired it to change feed back amount with out chaging volume... that sounds awesome!!!
Thanks I needed this also. Howlin Owln
The problem with that diagram is single wires. I have found that if you use a sheided conductor it will eliminate 95% of your feed back. Think of coax but on a smaller scale. What I have done is buy a 25 ft roll of RCA cable from Home depot for $6.00. split the cable by pulling it apart. now you have two 25 ft (50ft) one conductor with a sheid wire. strip the insulation at the ends and unravel the braid away from the inner conductor and twist to form the second wire (ground). strip the inner wire and solder the inner wire to the positive (tip / hot) and solder the outter braided wire to the grounds. Make sure they do not touch each other (short) This will sheild your hot wire from any freq. from your amp speaker. Do this from the piezo to the volume control, tone control to the out put jack. If you have your gain to high that will cause feedback too.
Cut your wire in 8" to 10" sections, makes about 60 to 70 pickups. go to my site for a picture http://www.mojocbg.com

James Bush said:
The problem with that diagram is single wires. I have found that if you use a sheided conductor it will eliminate 95% of your feed back. Think of coax but on a smaller scale. What I have done is buy a 25 ft roll of RCA cable from Home depot for $6.00. split the cable by pulling it apart. now you have two 25 ft (50ft) one conductor with a sheid wire. strip the insulation at the ends and unravel the braid away from the inner conductor and twist to form the second wire (ground). strip the inner wire and solder the inner wire to the positive (tip / hot) and solder the outter braided wire to the grounds. Make sure they do not touch each other (short) This will sheild your hot wire from any freq. from your amp speaker. Do this from the piezo to the volume control, tone control to the out put jack. If you have your gain to high that will cause feedback too.
Are you talking about feedback or humm? Wiring don't make a difference with feed back, as far as i know. But the sheilded wire will ground out the humm.

James Bush said:
Cut your wire in 8" to 10" sections, makes about 60 to 70 pickups. go to my site for a picture http://www.mojocbg.com

James Bush said:
The problem with that diagram is single wires. I have found that if you use a sheided conductor it will eliminate 95% of your feed back. Think of coax but on a smaller scale. What I have done is buy a 25 ft roll of RCA cable from Home depot for $6.00. split the cable by pulling it apart. now you have two 25 ft (50ft) one conductor with a sheid wire. strip the insulation at the ends and unravel the braid away from the inner conductor and twist to form the second wire (ground). strip the inner wire and solder the inner wire to the positive (tip / hot) and solder the outter braided wire to the grounds. Make sure they do not touch each other (short) This will sheild your hot wire from any freq. from your amp speaker. Do this from the piezo to the volume control, tone control to the out put jack. If you have your gain to high that will cause feedback too.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Grounding

Started by cboxGypsy in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by cboxGypsy on Thursday. 9 Replies

Diddley bow music?

Started by Snuffy Smith in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans on Wednesday. 6 Replies

Psycho Box Help!

Started by Jesse Lively in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Odell Williams Jun 16. 3 Replies

Blog Posts

introducing cbg to guitarists

Posted by Donald Rees on June 21, 2017 at 10:27pm 12 Comments

Tricone Resonator CBG

Posted by Hal Robertson on June 21, 2017 at 3:30pm 4 Comments

Backslider Washboards

Posted by Milt Haselmire on June 19, 2017 at 6:30pm 4 Comments

Latest Activity

Andy Busch commented on Janos BoogieMan CBGs's photo
20 minutes ago
Boone Shanks posted a blog post

How to succeed at Paper Writing?

It is said that a mind with an incomplete knowledge is the home of devil. Unless one completely…See More
22 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Uncle John's photo
23 minutes ago
JL replied to Danny Joe's discussion what is the best pickup for a small 1 string
"LIKE!"
34 minutes ago
JL replied to Jamie's discussion rescue!
"widen the hole to an oval shape so it looks like an acoustic with the pickup spanning the…"
41 minutes ago
the anonymous pick commented on Hudson Wolf's video
52 minutes ago
the anonymous pick commented on Hudson Wolf's video
Thumbnail

Poor Man's Wah

"unk  :-P"
52 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Hudson Wolf's video
Thumbnail

Poor Man's Wah

"Yeah, Jim.  It looks dangerous and Linda won't allow me to try it or to grow my beard…"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

XXXL Canjo

"It is huge, AGP.  Go ahead and add and X.  Thanks Jerry.  It took a long time to get…"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

4 strings & 3 pick-up poles

"Darn you guys, Dave and Jerry.  I am downsizing my herd and you make it just about impossible…"
1 hour ago
Michael Fred Johnson replied to Alex's discussion License plate 3-string guitars
"They are two of six that I made"
1 hour ago
the anonymous pick commented on Angelo Mikro's photo
1 hour ago

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service