What are ya'll using? I've seen the door pulls but my sound holes are too big for that.
I need to purdy up the holes.

Ideas?

Matt

Outhouse Instruments

Views: 3037

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not sure about the door pulls, but I've used shower curtain rings. They're brass coloured and come in two parts. You're supposed to use some special crimping tool to fit them to curtains, but they work great on CBGs! You can get a range of sizes too.

Dom
I used curtian grommets on one of my builds, it turned out ok.

Hi, It depends upon the size of the hole. I like curtain grommets especially the metallic ones from this website.
http://www.curtaingenius.co.uk/shop/products_detail.asp?prod=1830 For thin plywood if you also get a plain plastic one for the inside (more pliable) they clip through the hole without the need for glue and easily press together.

Or by using glue to the top half of a grommet and mesh underneath I got a reso type cover

From a curtain fabric shop I got the smaller ones below and for larger sound holes I use a acoustic guitar rosette (I buy off ebay and recently bought several off this ebayer http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLASSICAL-GUITAR-WOOD-INLAY-ROSETTE-0-7mm-6p-... every so often he sells some off as an auction - last lot of 6 I got for $3.25 plus P&P of $8.00. I glue in place then coat with varnish, sand smooth then revarnish.

I used brass filigree jewelry findings in my first CBG build and they looked so good I'm planning on using more of them in future builds.

Got them on eBay, real cheep. (:>}

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2590/4111005982_02b4aeaa9b_o.jpg
Because I build for this market (read that empty pockets) I stick to a formula I use for most of my builds.
At Lowes I got to the electrical section and to the plastic electrical pipe area.There of look for the pvc (the gray stuff) thats used to connect pipe to pipe.I sand the numbers off the top section that you can see and then paint the grommet whatever color I need.I usually spend an hour or so doing this until I have a good stock on hand.
Doing it this way I can change the look of a CBG without spending more money (read that more profit) per instrument.
Their cheap, and quick and easy to make a week's worth of grommets for several CBG's
I,ve used stainless steel washers that are similar to ones used at work.
Well, after reading your replies, I got off my lazy kiester and went wandering around one of the big box "hardware?" stores.
I found a great little piece .. a snap in tub strainer. It is nice and chromey shiney and it has tabs that can be bent to hold it in place. Less than 2 bucks ... I'ma gonna get more.
The pieces that Roger Martin referred to are PVC box adapters. I just need to size the hole to fit them.
A flat strainer for a sink will work ... you just need something for a middle screw to catch on.
1 1/2" tailpiece washer. 5 for $3.22. Kinda clear, but work well when glued in. Could be painted I guess. ( I'm gonna go try now).

sharin' the luv ...

Matt
Got some tools, router, scroll saw, coping saw, sandpaper or lathe you can make any size you want out of wood, corian, acrlyic, etc.

I made two today for my first biuld , Turned them up out of walnut . rebated to fit hole cutter , Then i fretted four oval holes in to make what resembles a celtic cross! dead cuffed with them.Enjoyed making them too!
Paul Doug said:
Got some tools, router, scroll saw, coping saw, sandpaper or lathe you can make any size you want out of wood, corian, acrlyic, etc.

Trevor, I can't wait to see it.
I have been adding more varieties of larger curtain grommets in my shop. Have several sizes in brass, copper and nickel, and just ordered a 1.5" nickel variety today. I also have smaller standard grommets. http://www.cbgitty.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=26
been looking everywhere for these in the uk. cheers dude

David Lloyd said:
Hi,

It depends upon the size of the hole. I like curtain grommets especially the metallic ones from this website.
http://www.curtaingenius.co.uk/shop/products_detail.asp?prod=1830

For thin plywood if you also get a plain plastic one for the inside (more pliable) they clip through the hole without the need for glue and easily press together.

Or by using glue to the top half of a grommet and mesh underneath I got a reso type cover

From a curtain fabric shop I got the smaller ones below and for larger sound holes I use a acoustic guitar rosette (I buy off ebay and recently bought several off this ebayer http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLASSICAL-GUITAR-WOOD-INLAY-ROSETTE-0-7mm-6p-...

every so often he sells some off as an auction - last lot of 6 I got for $3.25 plus P&P of $8.00. I glue in place then coat with varnish, sand smooth then revarnish.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Busking Songs...

Started by Nomad Jack in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by J. D. Woods on Wednesday. 7 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Southern Ray commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

" I was gonna say, "Sweeeeeeeeeet" as well, but that was taken. Very nice. I too love…"
4 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
" Any other questions, just ask. "
4 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
" Hello JD, welcome. I'm a fifty year failed six-string player that got into building and…"
4 hours ago
BrianQ. replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
8 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

"Burn baby burn! Top looks hot Crazed; sporty headstock too. Excellent build."
8 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Ghostbuttons's photo
Thumbnail

Four projects

"You are a busy guy Warren! Outstanding builds and each one unique; well done."
8 hours ago
AGP # commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

""Sweeeeeeeeet", love the burning on the Body, have a Build on the Bench at the moment,…"
9 hours ago
AGP # liked Crazed Fandango's photo
9 hours ago
J. D. Woods replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
10 hours ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Glenn Kaiser's video
Thumbnail

GK less Paul Diddley Bow

"Often quite true Uncle John :) -Glenn"
12 hours ago
Gary O'slide posted videos
13 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Glenn Kaiser's video
Thumbnail

GK less Paul Diddley Bow

"Ha, Ha.  Less is more."
14 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->