How to Build an Electric Guitar - Historic 1959 Plans (Free Download)

In our quest to discover and compile all the great DIY musical instrument plans of the last 150 years, we stumbled across these great electric guitar plans from 1959. 

The Strat and Les Paul were only several years old when Mechanix Illustrated magazine published these plans, penned by Captain America creator and artist, C. C. Beck in their September 1959 issue. 

Like many how-to articles from this era, the article is somewhat vague in carving and building techniques and instead puts most of its weight into the diagrams with measurements. 

We've taken the actual page scans (advertisements included!) and put them together in one downloadable PDF file.  If you're daring enough to build this, let us know.  

See also:

Views: 20186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A member on the TDPRI Guitar Forum is building one of the 59 guitars from these plans. If anyone's interested, here's a link to the build thread.http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/610424-1959-mechanix-ill...

What a beautiful build he's doing! I'd love to get that good, as I'm just starting out building cigar box guitars with very basic tools. I did get some ideas looking at his pictures and reading through the forum.

Lots of highly skilled builders over there and a lot can be learned from looking over those threads.

CBG's can be elaborate or primal, so there's nothing wrong with how your building them. Rock on

The neck and completed fretboard are the most difficult pieces. They're also the heart of any fretted instrument. I've only felt confident enough, as of recent, to attempt fabricating these parts myself. I admire anyone who can successfully create these pieces.

Your right, the neck and fret board is probably 70% of the work done on a git.

CC Beck created Captain Marvel. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created Captain America

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

rescue!

Started by Jamie in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat 10 hours ago. 4 Replies

Grounding

Started by cboxGypsy in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by cboxGypsy on Thursday. 9 Replies

Diddley bow music?

Started by Snuffy Smith in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans on Wednesday. 6 Replies

Psycho Box Help!

Started by Jesse Lively in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Odell Williams Jun 16. 3 Replies

Latest Activity

Brendon Hill commented on Darryl Tuttle's photo
Thumbnail

FlashlightAmp

"wow...gotta have one of those!!"
8 minutes ago
Brendon Hill and Darryl Tuttle are now friends
13 minutes ago
Kevin Perlic commented on Kevin Perlic's video
Thumbnail

PLUMBER PLUCKER

"If you have a Mac then you already have GarageBand. All you need is a cable like this…"
13 minutes ago
Erasmo Coco commented on Jim Morris's video
Thumbnail

PVC Dan Bau for CBN Plumbing instrument Challenge

" A couple of drinks, maybe a puff, humbucker and a Fuzz pedal. I think you may find what…"
15 minutes ago
Jim Morris commented on Uncle John's video
Thumbnail

Sunday morning songs - 4 tenor guitars

"Good Sunday morn to you Unc. All four of them sound very good in your hands!"
2 hours ago
Uncle John posted a video
2 hours ago
wes carl liked RTZGUITARS's video
2 hours ago
wes carl commented on RTZGUITARS's video
Thumbnail