How to Build an Electric Guitar - Historic 1959 Plans (Free Download)

In our quest to discover and compile all the great DIY musical instrument plans of the last 150 years, we stumbled across these great electric guitar plans from 1959. 

The Strat and Les Paul were only several years old when Mechanix Illustrated magazine published these plans, penned by Captain America creator and artist, C. C. Beck in their September 1959 issue. 

Like many how-to articles from this era, the article is somewhat vague in carving and building techniques and instead puts most of its weight into the diagrams with measurements. 

We've taken the actual page scans (advertisements included!) and put them together in one downloadable PDF file.  If you're daring enough to build this, let us know.  

See also:

Views: 19523

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A member on the TDPRI Guitar Forum is building one of the 59 guitars from these plans. If anyone's interested, here's a link to the build thread.http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/610424-1959-mechanix-ill...

What a beautiful build he's doing! I'd love to get that good, as I'm just starting out building cigar box guitars with very basic tools. I did get some ideas looking at his pictures and reading through the forum.

Lots of highly skilled builders over there and a lot can be learned from looking over those threads.

CBG's can be elaborate or primal, so there's nothing wrong with how your building them. Rock on

The neck and completed fretboard are the most difficult pieces. They're also the heart of any fretted instrument. I've only felt confident enough, as of recent, to attempt fabricating these parts myself. I admire anyone who can successfully create these pieces.

Your right, the neck and fret board is probably 70% of the work done on a git.

CC Beck created Captain Marvel. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created Captain America

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Building with Aspen?

Started by Hal Robertson in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Rose Ericson 8 hours ago. 2 Replies

MYSTERY INSTRUMENT: What are these antique dulcimer things?

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Ron "Oily" Sprague 9 hours ago. 43 Replies

Artistic Lap Steels Made from 2x4's (Videos + Pics)

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Steve Tucker yesterday. 22 Replies

Odd vibration

Started by David Blackburn in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by David Blackburn yesterday. 5 Replies

Songs inAm

Started by Dustin Aurand in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Lane Martin on Thursday. 31 Replies

Latest Activity

Vern Hallett replied to Nation News's discussion CONTEST! Paint Lid Challenge - Submit here!!! Ends April 30, 2017
"This is my third coffee can diddly bow. The body is the top 2 1/2" of a coffee can with an…"
5 minutes ago
James O Lunsford liked Derek Rose's video
1 hour ago
James O Lunsford commented on Derek Rose's video
Thumbnail

Cover of Copperhead Road by Steve Earle

"Great Job on this song nice playing and vocals"
1 hour ago
James O Lunsford posted a video

Let it Rain (C) By James o Lunsford

Let It Rain By James o Lunsford Played on My CBG Western Padron Cigar Box Guitar
1 hour ago
mike mayer commented on mike mayer's photo
Thumbnail

0426171442a

"thanks scott.........  my hometown paper"
1 hour ago
Anthony Insetta posted a video

Slippin and slidin

1964 vibro champ playin my custom swamp witch double neck
2 hours ago
BeetleJuice! posted a photo

Red Dog Cigars