I've built a few electric guitars and a 5e3 clone valve amp so now I'm building a CBG and matching CBA. I have the cigar boxes (Cohiba) and an old 24.75" scale length neck in my collection.

I have all thge parts ready and have starting marking up (pics attached). 

Will usexa couple of piezo pups under the bridge and blended with a humbucker in the neck position. The amp will use a Ruby variation. Searching for a high quality, suitable speaker driver to fit the box whilst providing a decent frequency response.

Starting pics attached.

20180128_170852.jpg

20180128_173917.jpg

20180128_174035.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Finished the CBA and strung up the CBG and intonated.  All good.  Very happy with the speaker which is a Visaton KT100-V 8 ohm. I chose it because its frequency response was very close to a 'normal" larger guitar amp driver. Great bottom end and none of the tinny sound.

I could add brass corners to the front of the amp. I cannot put them on the back due to the sliding door (lid). What do you think?

CBGA1.jpg

CBGA2.jpg

• Sounds good. A cheapy from GFS.
      • They are good pickups. Those Gold Foil clones either have the Ceramic or Alnico magnets instead of the rubberized magnets like the originals, but they sound close and a lot more affordable. ;)

• Those turned out nice.

What brand Gold Foil pickup? How do you like it?

• I bought the blank circuit board from Tayda Electronics and sourced the parts locally. I found a LM386N-3 on eBay in Oz to give me the full 1W.
    • Both the boxes were sourced on eBay. Agree they're hard to get. I got lucky.
    • That's a good chip. I like the Ruby amp and I made a dual chip amp design based on the Ruby amp and Trotsky distortion pedal that's like a Ruby amp on steroids.

I also like to use a Ruby "head" as a preamp through a 20watt PA amp a friend gave me into a 15" speaker cab.

• Another Aussie, great. where did you get the boxes Mark? I'm having trouble finding boxes in Brisbane.  

• The CBG looks great. What Ruby variation for the amp?

• Finished the CBG. Just need strings and setup.  Photos attached.  One of the pics shows the brace built for the middle with the two circular cutouts where I buried a couple of piezos in hot glue for under the bridge.

cbg03.jpg

cbg02.jpg

cbg01.jpg

This reply was deleted.