I spent most of the day yesterday in the shop, working on two projects: my first "real" CBG (more on that later), plus updating the "Doodle Bass" CBB my son and I built while on vacation a couple of weeks back. We made the following tweaks to his bass:
Replaced the "E" string (old one doubled the "A" at .090") with .105" weed whacker line.
Added a piezo pickup inside the box under the bridge sandwiched between two thin pieces of pine.
Gouged / filed / sanded the top of the box at the bottom of the fingerboard, to avoid fretting with plaing up high. We also drilled out soundholes and glued down the top.
"Ebonized" the fingerboard using ebony colored stain (it needs sanding and another coat, I think). We also added a thong hanger.
Moved the tailpiece anchor from the end of the through-neck to the box, to allow anchoring a footpiece (so he can play stand-up style more easily).
It sounded pretty good plugged in, and he was definitely pleased.