Bandsaw?

I am looking to buy a bandsaw, does any one have any recommendations on what to, or what not to buy? It will need to be bench mounted.

Thanks

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I ordered a new band-saw blade from the supplier CBJ suggested, fitted it today and it  has made a huge difference.

• Glad to know that info. was of some help. The blade and set-up really makes a difference, and sometimes you don't really notice the steady drop-off in performance as the blade wears out.

• I bought a Sealey bandsaw new last year and it has speeded up many jobs and does them more accurately than i could do with a handsaw - like CBJ says setting up and a good new blade is critical to its operation. This is a small one but enough to work on an Oak 1 1/2" guitar neck easily enough and small pieces of wood, but watch your fingers...! a tool is provided for feeding wood past the blade, go SLOWLY  and let the blade do the work. (-:

306231787?profile=original

• Slopaw

Thanks I will have  a closer look.

David

• Thanks for the feed back.

I think I will wait until spring when I hope to build a new shed and see what space I have when finished. In the meantime I do have a small second hand band-saw,  but can not get it to cut straight,I will have another go at setting it up

Thanks David.

• All bandsaws suffer from "drift", ie not cutting straight and they need setting up to correct or reduce this.  The first thing to do is make sure you've got a decent blade in there. If it's old and worn that can make it worse. I've had blades custom-made for my saw from these people http://www.justbandsawblades.co.uk - you can choose the length, width & teeth per inch from a range of manufacturers' bladestock and they aren't particularly expensive at about £15 each including VAT & delivery for a 93 1/4" blade. If you install a new blade, then check the guides, blade tension and the tracking of the main wheels you should be able to get it to work a lot better.

If you do look at getting a new machine, be wary of the claims of what thickness it can saw - just because you can get a 150mm thick piece of timber through it doesn't mean the motor will have enough punch to cut it. A powerful motor is what you need for cutting hardwood. A decently long blade and ideally cast iron drive wheels also help. 

• By the way, amazingly quick service from that company..ordered 2 blades at 1.00pm yesterday, arrived this morning at 10.00am!! And they weren't off the shelf, they had to cut and weld them to my spec!!!

• CBJ

Thanks for the advice. I have ordered  a new blade from them, hoping it makes a difference. I will need a new saw eventually as mine is just a light weigh hobby saw.

David

• Hi David

I agree with Chickenbone, the cheaper ones are not that good. Machine Mart may well have a reasonably priced one  - I have an Electa Beckham 12 inch throat which is great and I would certainly recommend that brand

Hope you fiondsomething suitable

Regards

Doghouse

• Doghouse

Thanks, I am  doing some more research.

David

This reply was deleted.