For the record, I don't have the balls to attempt this one yet.


Views: 618

Replies to This Discussion

You can do that Josh, no problem!

Though whether it would be worth your extra time, I dont know.

I think 'voice over man' hits the nail on the head when he says its '... a great way to show off your skills....'

I guess there will be a little more surface area for the glue over a butted joint, but surely this cant be as strong as a standard scarf joint?

Discuss :o)
I agree Rman I am not sure on the strength this might have on a steel string neck, the photos of the guitars shown were nylon. I believe there is more tension on acoustic guitars. But it would look cool! And I would bet you can do it Josh, not a matter of balls to do it...maybe with it working exactly right?
Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence, guys. I think this will work for steel strings but I'm not so sure about the max strength. It's end grain to end grain after all. Still, I would have to reserve judgment until I saw some objective test data comparing the two methods.

Really the only reason I can think of to do this is that it looks pretty.
So I had an idea Josh, what if you have the V joint but make the sides of the male-female V slanted, maybe like dovetail style (to make a best reference). Then the joint will have an extra support holding against the headstock and providing more strength. ?


Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence, guys. I think this will work for steel strings but I'm not so sure about the max strength. It's end grain to end grain after all. Still, I would have to reserve judgment until I saw some objective test data comparing the two methods.

Really the only reason I can think of to do this is that it looks pretty.
I understand what you're saying. Again, you'd be looking at a benefit trade off. On one hand, you'd have the locking mechanism of the dovetail styled joint to resist the forward pull the the strings. On the other, you're reducing the mating surface area of the male/female V at the tip of the triangle (see picture below). Again, you'd have to build two necks using the differing methods and subject them to stress tests to see which is the strongest option.



colin mcgrath said:
So I had an idea Josh, what if you have the V joint but make the sides of the male-female V slanted, maybe like dovetail style (to make a best reference). Then the joint will have an extra support holding against the headstock and providing more strength. ?



Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence, guys. I think this will work for steel strings but I'm not so sure about the max strength. It's end grain to end grain after all. Still, I would have to reserve judgment until I saw some objective test data comparing the two methods.


Really the only reason I can think of to do this is that it looks pretty.
Exactly, nice graphics by the way. I would try myself but...


Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
I understand what you're saying. Again, you'd be looking at a benefit trade off. On one hand, you'd have the locking mechanism of the dovetail styled joint to resist the forward pull the the strings. On the other, you're reducing the mating surface area of the male/female V at the tip of the triangle (see picture below). Again, you'd have to build two necks using the differing methods and subject them to stress tests to see which is the strongest option.





colin mcgrath said:
So I had an idea Josh, what if you have the V joint but make the sides of the male-female V slanted, maybe like dovetail style (to make a best reference). Then the joint will have an extra support holding against the headstock and providing more strength. ?



Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence, guys. I think this will work for steel strings but I'm not so sure about the max strength. It's end grain to end grain after all. Still, I would have to reserve judgment until I saw some objective test data comparing the two methods.


Really the only reason I can think of to do this is that it looks pretty.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources


Discussion Forum

Building a Cigar Box Guitar Part 1 - Intro

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Dan Mullen Feb 22, 2014. 6 Replies

Part 5 - Tapered Necks - Carving

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Mike Brobeck Oct 29, 2011. 7 Replies

Part 5 - Necks - Scarf Joints

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) Feb 23, 2011. 12 Replies

Building a Cigar Box Guitar Part 2 - Tools

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Wiley Rutledge Dec 14, 2010. 6 Replies

Building a Cigar Box Guitar Part 3 - Supplies

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by ledbelly Nov 16, 2010. 2 Replies

Part 4 - Design

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) Nov 9, 2010. 2 Replies

Alternate Neck Joints - The V Joint

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by colin mcgrath Nov 5, 2010. 6 Replies

Why You Shouldn't Listen Too Closely to the "Experts"

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by colin mcgrath Nov 5, 2010. 9 Replies

Tung Oil Finish

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Fitzhugh Sep 12, 2010. 1 Reply

Part 5 - Necks - Fret Work

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Fitzhugh Aug 21, 2010. 23 Replies

Part 5 - Tapered Necks - The Fretboard

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) Jul 30, 2010. 5 Replies

Guitar Wiring Basics

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by ian frazier May 14, 2010. 2 Replies

String Intonation Explained

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) Feb 10, 2010. 0 Replies

Part 6 - Finishes - French Polish

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) Feb 8, 2010. 0 Replies

Improvised Bench Dogs

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by HOGS GRUNT Oct 11, 2009. 1 Reply

mini-humbucker

Started by bucky. Last reply by bucky Dec 31, 2008. 3 Replies

Latest Activity

smilingdog1 liked Cigar Box Nation's video
1 hour ago
smilingdog1 liked Steve Holladay's video
1 hour ago
smilingdog1 liked Uncle Toad's video
1 hour ago
3 String Blues posted a video

Dog House Blues - testing out a Line 6 Catalyst Amplifier

bought this sweet sounding amp on Amazon....my first quick test recording on a 3 sting cigar box guitar...the reverbs onboard this thing are just fantastic!!...
5 hours ago
BrianQ. commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #523 -''Clean Machine''

"Covering a metal covered pickup with more metal will give unwanted eddy currents? I would’ve…"
13 hours ago
AGP # liked CaptnCatfish's video
14 hours ago
AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #523 -''Clean Machine''

""Thanks A.D.", Yep!, sometimes things don't go quite as planned, but there's…"
15 hours ago
AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #523 -''Clean Machine''

""Thanks UJ", the Round Soundhole was the result of the failed Ghosted Pomade Tin effort,…"
15 hours ago
Uncle Toad commented on Uncle Toad's video
Thumbnail

Gotham epoxied-in rod piezo demo - no squeeze

"Wooden box - if you see the Gotham Guts photos, you can see the severely hacked away back and…"
15 hours ago
Uncle Toad commented on Uncle Toad's video
15 hours ago
AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #523 -''Clean Machine''

""Yes BQ", Horrible Feedback Noises when using the Distorted Amp Settings, and a very…"
15 hours ago
Uncle Toad commented on Uncle Toad's video
Thumbnail

Gotham Sound Check

"Poorness Studios- I am not a pro at soldering… it took hours, and one of the three way…"
15 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->