Simple string height gauge I made from those wood inserts from the inside of a cigat box. I cut them into a long triangular shape. Then I slide the tapered end under the string until I like the height, mark it, and make a bridge that height- simple as that!

Views: 384

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Brings up a question I have. NB  I have no experience with fretless instruments as such, and my porch rail CBG or is that PRG? can only be played with a slide, after lowering the string height a bit, replacing the 1/4" bolt as a nut and the PVC pipe as a bridge with a woodscrew for the nut, and a biro for the bridge I can hold the string down against the flat part of the rail, but it still doesn't sound. It's just muted and bleh.

So how low do you have to get a string to be able to fret (for want of a better word) it (fretlessly) and have it sound clear?

OK, I take that back, went to take a picture of it, and it seems it's the way I play, I'm a bassplayer and tend to use the flat of my finger to fret, if I use my finger tip instead, and a bit more pressure, it seems to sound OK.

Yes- use your fingertips and also be aware of string tension- a string with slightly less tension is much easier to fret and make a clear sound.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

The Effects of Coffee, in a good way, folks........

Started by BrianQ.. Last reply by Wilda Connell Aug 5, 2020. 7 Replies

Low Budget Sanding Tool

Started by BrianQ.. Last reply by Order99 Jun 9, 2020. 3 Replies

Nails for frets?

Started by Mike. Last reply by Alan Robinson Aug 1, 2017. 8 Replies

Flea market finds

Started by Mike Jul 24, 2017. 0 Replies

Not just a lolly stick

Started by Wade Jan 2, 2015. 0 Replies

Save that box screw up!

Started by Wade. Last reply by Thomas "Duck" Petry Dec 3, 2014. 2 Replies

CB string height gauge

Started by Wade. Last reply by Wade Jul 9, 2014. 2 Replies

Recycled stuff

Started by Keith 66 Jun 11, 2014. 0 Replies

Free recycled Piezo pickups

Started by Wade. Last reply by Rob Brighton Jul 2, 2013. 19 Replies

Joining Lumber

Started by Where's Uranus?. Last reply by Mark Lindsay Jun 4, 2013. 8 Replies

Fretboard radius

Started by Wade. Last reply by rusty case Feb 11, 2013. 1 Reply

Free grounding foil

Started by Wade Feb 10, 2013. 0 Replies

Free Fret dot markers

Started by Wade. Last reply by Mark Lindsay Feb 3, 2013. 23 Replies

Recycled tonewood

Started by rusty case. Last reply by rusty case Nov 21, 2012. 13 Replies

Low $ substitute for banjo face?

Started by rusty case. Last reply by rusty case Nov 18, 2012. 6 Replies

Cheapo strings

Started by Karl G. Siewert. Last reply by rusty case Aug 27, 2012. 4 Replies

Hand saw.

Started by Wade. Last reply by rusty case Aug 27, 2012. 2 Replies

Tennis, anyone?

Started by Order99. Last reply by Order99 Aug 17, 2012. 4 Replies

1/2 Priced Nuts and Saddles

Started by Claude. Last reply by Order99 Apr 8, 2012. 10 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->