Amplification

This little guy, which I like to think of as a tenor guitar, but it's really a great big, steel string baritone uke, is about to be resonatified and electrificated. I'm going to put a small cone in the top and use a simple piezo. My question, for those with more experience (I've never messed with that electricity stuff) is where would you put the piezo and how would you mount it? I know there's no right answer, just mining other folks experiences.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Simply stuck down or embedded in some kind of "deadening" substance?

• nope, I know some do that, but I just stick it to the surface I want it to pick up the best, most deaden it a little to avoid picking up background sounds like touching the strings, bumping the neck, but I don't think most piezo are all that sensitive unless you buy expensive low resistance ones, most I've seen were a little on the weak side

• After re-reading your post, your going to put a resonator cone in it...where...in the original sound hole?? Most resonators usually get the piezo mounted to it, as the res cone on our CBG's usually use the cone for placement of the bridge and saddle, but, in this case, if I understand correctly, bridge stays in it's original position(have to for scale) and your adding a res cone in sound hole, and you said disk(s) plural, mount one under the bridge and 1 or 2 on the underneath of the cone. This will amplify the soundboard and the res cone. or, try temporarily fastening to cone only or to soundboard only, these will give you 2 different sounds, or you may like the mix sound and sound volume output of mounting them in both places.

Looks like a nice guitar/uke to start with, good luck, would love to hear how it sounds when finished.

• No, the cone is to be centered where the bridge is. How else would make sense? I just said "disks" because I have a few on order, not because they are all for this project.

• my mistake, simple answer, if room under the cone in the center where the saddle will rest, piezo there

• might also benefit from using a guitar EQ pre-amp, especially as you have the body shape and space to mount one.

• Directly under or just behind the bridge/saddle for a piezo, maybe even change bridges to use a stick piezo

• Already have the disks on hand.

This reply was deleted.