Buzz

Hi, i just installed a pre wired pick up into my latest build, but when i plug in the amp i get a buzz that will go away if i touch the plug on the lead,,,new amp and new lead,,pick up all  wired up from CBGitty,,i was going to start another one today but dont want that one buzzing, any simple tricks to fix it??

thanks

Mike

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am certainly no expert on magnetic pickups. I can say that I have sold hundreds of these (very) inexpensive pre-wired harnesses and have gotten very, very few complaints about them.

In my somewhat limited experience, the best I can tell is that sometimes magnetic pickup setups just have hum/buzz. The professionals go to great lengths to minimize it - all of the shielding and grounding and whatnot. 

My suspicion is that slapping a new harness into your build wouldn't make much of a difference, but if you want to take that one out and send it back I will send you a replacement.

• if the strings are actually earthed there should be no difference between touching them or touching the outer of the jack.  if only one makes a difference to the buz then they can't be at the same potential (there must be resistance between them).

do you have a multi-meter to test for continuity between the jack earth and the strings?

i doubt the problem is and earth loop, because the buzz goes away when you touch the jack (but yes, wire your earths as a line, not as a circle) - this suggests the noise is you. we are big bags of highly conductive salty water with an electrical operating system after all!

as strat-o says, double check all solder connections too, and i'd also make sure you haven't switched the signal and earth anywhere.  just be systematic about it and you'll work it out.

e

• Mike,

Eric's right: we are all just bags o' salty water, and conductive as hell. >:-E

Yep, a multimeter would tell you precisely, but I figured since you went pre-wired, you wouldn't necessarily have one or know how to use it to search out a ground fault. I suggested the ground loop as a potential (pun intended) problem, because of your description. Thanks for the pic. Yep, a single coil, not a piezo - so your problem, if you've grounded the bridge to the vol pot properly ( see following sentence) is likely at the jack ground connection. If you haven't already, run a ground wire from your bridge / saddle / strings to the back of the vol pot ONLY. Tie it in to the same place as your other ground wire coming from / going to the jack, and make sure the solder joint is good. Eric's also right: be systematic, and you WILL find the problem.

Come back whether or not it works, and we'll keep trying to help.
    • Thanks guys,,,well i re did the earth and all joints i did are ok, still a buzz, that stops when the amp is on battery power, ill check it all again , and take a pic,,,

• Re checked the joints all good, buzz stops when i touch the strings,,,buzz goes away when the amp is on battery power,,,thinking of a Piezo for my next build,,piezo/jack plug, could it be that simple?

• Stops buzzing when you touch the strings? Have you contacted CBGitty about it? If not, I would do so.

• this is what iam trying to install,,,,,going to try a battery amp next??305838638?profile=original

• The ground loop could be in your outlet, have you tried others, maybe in another building?

• Thanks for the advice,,,will try another power supply as well as battery power

• Thanks guys,,i earthed the jack and the volume to the bridge but still get a buzz unless i touch the lead,,,ill have to track down a guitar builder local and get some advice,,maybe the wireing kit from CBGitty aint that good,,,frustrating,,,

This reply was deleted.