I am building a 21" scale cbg using the zero fret method for the first time. So last night, I finally get to the point putting one string (old guitar string I found while cleaning up the shop) on it to test tone and troubleshoot any problems. There was a little bit of buzz noise when I played it open. Then I tried to play the note in the first fret and it just "dank plunk dank" buzz sound. not even a musical note. same with second fret. The third fret is a bit cleaner and then down the fretboard from there it is fine.

The frets on this git are narrow low (like mandolin/banjo style). The zero fret is medium/medium. The frets appear to be seated properly. I am open to any suggestions for fixing the issue. so far, everything I have done is to no avail. Thinking of pulling the zero fret and building a nut and replacing the frets with medium/medium.

Views: 295

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Raise your bridge slightly. Also check to see that you do not have a slight back bend to the neck. That will cause frets at that location to appear higher.

Hi, noticed that you started by saying you are testing with an old string, hmmm, could be the string itself. It's always best set up with new strings. And with one string you will not learn a lot about tone and playability unless the guitar is under tension. I've experienced a bad string in a new pack causing buzz a few times in the past. Check also that the zero fret has a crown on it the same as the other frets, flat top frets cause buzz. Cheers Taff

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Thin a top

Started by Mark Werner in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans 7 hours ago. 28 Replies

Looking for an amp.

Started by David Womack in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by David Womack 14 hours ago. 2 Replies

4 string info follow up

Started by Ronald Hanes in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Ron "Oily" Sprague yesterday. 1 Reply

Folk Outsider, 3-String Stephen LIVE at Gitty's

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Jim Morris on Friday. 3 Replies

Latest Activity

Spike commented on Nigel McTrustry's video
Thumbnail

Nigel McTrustry's Original Yellow Dog

"The musical depiction of a bar-room brawl between Muddy Waters, Angus Young and T-Model Ford in a…"
10 minutes ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly liked Kentucky Mojo's photo
1 hour ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly liked Kentucky Mojo's photo
1 hour ago
Taffy Evans replied to Kevin Wiley's discussion Starting a 5 string banjo
"Hi Kevin, very neat work so far, is there such a thing as a quiet banjo? I built…"
2 hours ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #292 - “Hecho en Cuba”

"O.o super pretty build right there ."
2 hours ago
BeetleJuice! commented on BeetleJuice!'s group Three string guitars
"3 string phtoto"
2 hours ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly posted photos
4 hours ago
Jeff 'Bones' Reilly liked AGP #'s photo