Though i have been instrument making for many years in a different field to CBGs, I am amazed at the paucity of articles about CBGs, both in general and specific. Even the plans that are on the net are not madly easy to follow for a newcomer. You have to take from one and add to another to get the full picture.
CBG makers seem to hide behind the fact that "there are no rules" True there are none, but first time makers need rules, measurements, techniques.
What has prompted me to ask this of you is that i was going through the archives and noticed that "Necks" kept coming up.... all sorts of questions, many of them basic techniques.
Another is the matter of Piezos, amps and pick ups. Many, like me are ignorant of such matters and i would love to have a hand holding/idiots guide, even step by step with lovely coloured pictures on how to construct a suitable amp for our piezos.
There are a scad of videos on different aspects of CBGs, many are very good too, but many fall short of information for a first time maker, the other thing is you cant really take a video out to the workshop to guide you through each step... printed stuff is much better.

Some of the hobbies i have have Magazines devoted to them. CBGs, has this excellent forum.

I would love to see a heading of "ARTICLES" up there with "plans" and "podcasts" etc.

Meanwhile we frequent luthiers sites, there is a lot of information there but they are talking about high class instruments designed for the concert hall or something like that. (Leaving aside the solid wood amplified guitars)

My first CBG is not even completed yet, you should see all the questions I have asked even with an instrument making background. I am now confident (at last) to work without rules, but it has been a quantum leap from making lutes and other Early Music instruments.

I also need to add i just want a functional, twangy slide blues three stringer. I have all the pretty and acoustically correct instruments.

Once i have made my CBG and realized all the "non" mistakes I have made i will volunteer to write an article. I think "boxes and sound boards" might be my thing. But i will not be upset if anyone writes it before i get around to it.

I know we newbies can get all enthusiastic, but my comments should be regarded as supportive to others rather than negative.

Views: 443

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Brian, these aren't up on the site yet?!? They need to be. Dude, these are gold. Well done.

-Wes
Nice job on the articles. Why not just upload then to the 'Plans' section. I know I looked there first when I found this site. Thanks for making them available.
Here is a very low key article on the value of thick sides in the CBG.
Attachments:
This article looks at bridges their function and style. Their relationship to the style of guitars they are used on. What function they have regarding the soundboard.
Not good conclusions reached but plenty of food for thought.
Attachments:
I have approached Shane as to the best place for any articles that members write. Meantime i have written two more.

I am about "articled out"! at the moment. Nothing really burning my creativity. Now I have almost recovered from my bronchitis, i might well get back to building.

What would i like someone to write an article about? Of course i know that there are no rules, choose what you like etc, but those with experience could write an article (or two) that could be a bit of a fast track to our destination.
1. Tuning. Not just the notes, we all have them available to us. But why do players choose one tuning over another. Is one tuning better for a specific style of music. Slide tunings versus chordal/finger picking tunings. Link this to string tensions as i am sure players tune their Open chord "up or down" to suit their voices etc.
2. Choosing a box for a CBG. For those of you who have the luxury of having a stash of boxes, what makes you choose one box over another? What are the advantages of things like, depth, overall size (ie big versus small) What sort of box suits a particular neck. Perhaps it is just that it looks good! Not looking for those "non existent rules" just sharing of experience.
3. Tutorials and or articles on Piezos; pickups; amplifiers and other electronic gear surrounding CBGs
4. Does someone know how reso really work? We know the vibrations rattle around and come out metallic and loud, but how does this happen? What is the effect of the space around the reso components? What is the effect of amplifying these sounds or should they be left acoustic?
5. The effect of our choice on string length. What does this do to our sound production/playing? How does it change it (if it does?)

Paul Doug said:
Nice job on the articles. Why not just upload then to the 'Plans' section. I know I looked there first when I found this site. Thanks for making them available.
Hi Brian,
Just read your article(s). Very interesting. I enjoy experimenting with these instruments and seeing what sounds can be made from these little boxes. That's a pic of my dulcimer in your article. I did not want to lose strength in the neck (softwood) and I did not want to glue the neck directly to the top. What I did was add a piece of stainless steel wiper blade between the box and the neck. This allows just enough space for the top to vibrate. This worked out very well considering I did not thin the thick lid and the lid is made of fiberboard.

Wade
I feel embarrassed at "stealing" pictures without acknowledgment. The truth of the matter is that i download pics that interest me as and when i come across them. Then I go back to try and find where I got it from and it becomes an almost impossible marathon task. I figure that my post graduate education days are over and that my "supervisor" wont hit me for it! So I do it and suffer the consequences. But thank you for not suing me! :)

As you will know I like your ideas and especially now I know about the windscreen wiper addition!.

You have to know that whilst I enjoy looking at ways and means of improving CBG sound, my personal choice is a nice "twangy" blues guitar! But i like experimenting.
Oh yes, I have made one of those "over and under" bridges that I have a picture of in the "Bridges" article. i have used brass rod not music wire. i now have to make an instrument to put it on.

I have been sick for the past month (bed and house arrest!) but I have been on the computer, then today i went out and got pretty well all i need to build a Cigar Box "Symphonie" (Hurdy gurdy). That, along with an attempt to build a CBG that incorporates the ideas i have been discussing in my articles will keep me busy for a while. I am tossing up whether to use gut strings for an acoustic CBG; would you care to comment? I will probably not amplify it but I might!

BTW I love Dulcimers and have made quite a few over the years. I am currently finishing off a beautiful "Australian native plants, Folk Art" painted instrument (Not CB). I have to fret it and I am turning wooden tuning pegs for it.

Wade said:
Hi Brian,
Just read your article(s). Very interesting. I enjoy experimenting with these instruments and seeing what sounds can be made from these little boxes. That's a pic of my dulcimer in your article. I did not want to lose strength in the neck (softwood) and I did not want to glue the neck directly to the top. What I did was add a piece of stainless steel wiper blade between the box and the neck. This allows just enough space for the top to vibrate. This worked out very well considering I did not thin the thick lid and the lid is made of fiberboard.

Wade
Here is an article on the Virzi Tone Producer. It is short as it is basically a report on a device that might well be useful to some CBG makers. There is a link for the device where it is dealt with in detail.
Attachments:
Brian,

Thanks for researching the details. Interesting indeed.... Do you have the "Loar" reference? His point of view on the device would be enlightening....

the best,

Sam

Brian Lemin said:
Here is an article on the Virzi Tone Producer. It is short as it is basically a report on a device that might well be useful to some CBG makers. There is a link for the device where it is dealt with in detail.
Here are a couple of URLs. They are both on the "Virzi" site.
http://www.siminoff.net/Media/download_LoarHear-9-06.pdf
http://www.siminoff.net/pages/loar_background.html

Go here and click on his picture and there is a lot of stuff about him in the sidebar.
http://www.siminoff.net/pages/siminoff_downloads.html

Wichita Sam said:
Brian,

Thanks for researching the details. Interesting indeed.... Do you have the "Loar" reference? His point of view on the device would be enlightening....

the best,

Sam

Brian Lemin said:
Hello!
I've made over 50 CB instruments now, and have developed basic practices I follow every time, although the specifics change with each instrument. Please visit my web site at www.CarolinaFiddle.com. On the "About" page, there are two pdf articles on "How to Make" CB instruments. Maybe these will help. Alsdo, I have posted photos on this site, you can search under my name. Perhaps they will help. Best Regards, Steven
Thanks Steven. Love your PDFs for Uke and Fiddle.

Steven Miller said:
Hello!
I've made over 50 CB instruments now, and have developed basic practices I follow every time, although the specifics change with each instrument. Please visit my web site at www.CarolinaFiddle.com. On the "About" page, there are two pdf articles on "How to Make" CB instruments. Maybe these will help. Alsdo, I have posted photos on this site, you can search under my name. Perhaps they will help. Best Regards, Steven

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Dar Stellabotta commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"Thanks everyone! Yes it is inspiring to own other cigar box guitar builders creations. I have many…"
4 hours ago
A.D.EKER replied to Southern Ray's discussion AI Search Query - Curious Answer
"Nice one Korigan !  The Vinger Slascher ?"
6 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
6 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"Head Slingers "The Steady Crew " Right On !"
6 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"crunch Rocking DAR ! nice kit ! jangling julery! Slash Dar Johnson!! now on stage !!"
6 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
6 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

The Robert Johnson fight whit the devil, and there he was , standing on the Crossroads, waiting to meet the Guy that was going to change his way's, did he w...
7 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Southern Ray's discussion AI Search Query - Curious Answer
" That's what I  thought!"
7 hours ago
Sam Beavers left a comment for BrianQ.
"Thanks Brian !!"
7 hours ago
AGP # liked David Hopkins's photo
14 hours ago
14 hours ago
14 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->