Though i have been instrument making for many years in a different field to CBGs, I am amazed at the paucity of articles about CBGs, both in general and specific. Even the plans that are on the net are not madly easy to follow for a newcomer. You have to take from one and add to another to get the full picture.
CBG makers seem to hide behind the fact that "there are no rules" True there are none, but first time makers need rules, measurements, techniques.
What has prompted me to ask this of you is that i was going through the archives and noticed that "Necks" kept coming up.... all sorts of questions, many of them basic techniques.
Another is the matter of Piezos, amps and pick ups. Many, like me are ignorant of such matters and i would love to have a hand holding/idiots guide, even step by step with lovely coloured pictures on how to construct a suitable amp for our piezos.
There are a scad of videos on different aspects of CBGs, many are very good too, but many fall short of information for a first time maker, the other thing is you cant really take a video out to the workshop to guide you through each step... printed stuff is much better.

Some of the hobbies i have have Magazines devoted to them. CBGs, has this excellent forum.

I would love to see a heading of "ARTICLES" up there with "plans" and "podcasts" etc.

Meanwhile we frequent luthiers sites, there is a lot of information there but they are talking about high class instruments designed for the concert hall or something like that. (Leaving aside the solid wood amplified guitars)

My first CBG is not even completed yet, you should see all the questions I have asked even with an instrument making background. I am now confident (at last) to work without rules, but it has been a quantum leap from making lutes and other Early Music instruments.

I also need to add i just want a functional, twangy slide blues three stringer. I have all the pretty and acoustically correct instruments.

Once i have made my CBG and realized all the "non" mistakes I have made i will volunteer to write an article. I think "boxes and sound boards" might be my thing. But i will not be upset if anyone writes it before i get around to it.

I know we newbies can get all enthusiastic, but my comments should be regarded as supportive to others rather than negative.

Views: 443

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have finished the first draft and have illustrated it with pictures "filched" from the forum pictures.(for the time being)

If you are will ling to send me your email address I will email either the word document or a PDF version for you to look at and see if you could illustrate it. I think the more illustrations the better.
Always with the option of saying NO or I do not like what you have written. I am used to getting rejection slips! :(

I have to say it is a low key document as it stands, but should get a maker there.

It is not written in a
1. do this
2; Do that etc. Anyway, if you are still interested I will happily send it to you.

My email is brido@exemail.com.au Make sure the heading you use can not be mistaken for spam!
I suppose I will send it to anyone else too who may be willing to offer any help.

Wes Yates said:
Let me know if you need any illustration help. I have Illustrator, Photoshop, and can do some things in Google SketchUp (kind of a CAD program. Did a headstock design in it.)

-Wes

Brian Lemin said:
Well , I have started the text of an article. ( Almost finished in fact) No idea how i will illustrate it, or where I will put it.
I do have a web page of my own. I could park it there for comments.
Anyone volunteer a set of pictures I could choose from and then dimension etc in photoshop? A VERY simple construction set please. No separate fret board or neck "bending" for the tuning keys.
Can I purloin what I want from the Forums picture gallery? Please do not ask for referencing! :(

I have never done Wikki and it rather scares me. Can i get it finished then ask for "hand holding" to get it up there?
Well, I have made PDF "Tutorial", pretty well illustrated but not fully. I am about to change providers and thus my web page will die. So, it is stuck on my PC.
If anyone can use it I will happily send it to them. No idea of its size, but i did choose the "web page" option, which they said was "small".
brido@exemail.com.au
Brian,

Besides the "free" how to build posted on this forum, there are several very good "How to Build" tutorials available for purchase on the net. If a newbie wants to go that route (having every question answered before starting), there is nothing to stop him.

I think if you asked most builders with more than 10 builds, they would tell you that not knowing it all is almost as important as getting a little help here and there. The challenge of puzzling out the next step to a build is probably the most satisfying (and creative, inspiring) part of building.

Yes, there is a "no rules" ethic, but it help to keep CBGing from becoming so stratified/sterile. The other day I got to see a handmade violin... for the life of me, I couldn't tell much difference between it and a high dollar custom shop violin. What makes a "proper" violin is so well defined as to squeeze the vitality out of the craft.

If a new builder isn't willing to struggle thru the early builds, then I suspicion that CBGs will be just another notch on his "Crafter's gun belt", and then he'll move on. But, if he struggles to get that first playable instrument (maybe like me on the second try), then he may just have a glimpse of the creative possiblities of CBGs and be hooked for life.

I, myself, would rather see a little struggle... and the making of the next CBG addict...
JMHO,
the best,

Wichita Sam
Which is what I did, .....struggle to get free of my preconceived ideas of acoustics, accuracy, right way vs wrong way etc. But Look at all the questions i asked! Quite a pile of them. All this from a person who has made musical instruments since 1968 (a Lute was my first instrument) Perhaps the bank of knowledge I have was a handicap?

Truly CB Nation is your best friend. What i have written is far from perfect, gives a great deal of leeway but compliments all the freebie plans and videos you talk of.

Fortunately i do not really need any income from this hobby of mine, it will be there for people to take it or leave it.

Wichita Sam said:
Brian,

Besides the "free" how to build posted on this forum, there are several very good "How to Build" tutorials available for purchase on the net. If a newbie wants to go that route (having every question answered before starting), there is nothing to stop him.

I think if you asked most builders with more than 10 builds, they would tell you that not knowing it all is almost as important as getting a little help here and there. The challenge of puzzling out the next step to a build is probably the most satisfying (and creative, inspiring) part of building.

Yes, there is a "no rules" ethic, but it help to keep CBGing from becoming so stratified/sterile. The other day I got to see a handmade violin... for the life of me, I couldn't tell much difference between it and a high dollar custom shop violin. What makes a "proper" violin is so well defined as to squeeze the vitality out of the craft.

If a new builder isn't willing to struggle thru the early builds, then I suspicion that CBGs will be just another notch on his "Crafter's gun belt", and then he'll move on. But, if he struggles to get that first playable instrument (maybe like me on the second try), then he may just have a glimpse of the creative possiblities of CBGs and be hooked for life.

I, myself, would rather see a little struggle... and the making of the next CBG addict...
JMHO,
the best,

Wichita Sam
I have been looking for a tutorial on an building an under string pick-up. For a three (or 4 string) CBG.
Can anyone point me to a simple and easy tutorial on this job or even write on yourself for me?
Thanks.
The ones i have looked at i have found quite difficult to understand or not detailed enough. I have 4 "rare earth" magnets about 1/4 inch in dia and about 1/8 thick. Will they do as starters?

BTW My take on CBG building article is now on the "Free plans" page (Bottom right of main page)

Your crits and comments will be welcome.
"All those questions" that you asked is a form of "apprenticeship" thru which the learning offered is "earned".... the bonus is that relationships are formed. Not much of a relationship with a tutorial in had. No reason to get out of the cave. I think I can ask for much more of my CBG family, because of the relationship building in my "newbie" days...

JMHO,

the best,

Sam

Brian Lemin said:
Which is what I did, .....struggle to get free of my preconceived ideas of acoustics, accuracy, right way vs wrong way etc. But Look at all the questions i asked! Quite a pile of them. All this from a person who has made musical instruments since 1968 (a Lute was my first instrument) Perhaps the bank of knowledge I have was a handicap?

Truly CB Nation is your best friend. What i have written is far from perfect, gives a great deal of leeway but compliments all the freebie plans and videos you talk of.

Fortunately i do not really need any income from this hobby of mine, it will be there for people to take it or leave it.

Wichita Sam said:
Brian,

JMHO,
the best,

Wichita Sam
Please do not get me wrong, I am all for relationships throughout the CBN forum and developing them; but dare I suggest that you have forgotten what it is like to be a total Newbie, never having ever seen and examined a real live CBG in your life, never having made a musical instrument in your life, relying on pictures that often contradict each other, not fully getting to grips with the freedom that this instrument making bestows upon a new maker. [and on and on]

The fact is that these guys need someone on the end of the phone all the time, they get embarrassed by having to ask so many questions, to admit their total inability to come to grips with a concept that others think is simple.

A bank of tutorials gives a person at least some confidence, offers them opportunity to be flexible (because all, the tutorials have a different approach) and be selective as to what they need to ask of the forum members. Having built one CBG does mean the end of the need for supportive relationships, far from it, i am still asking questions after 2 and a half!
I am eternally grateful for the CBN friends, they have encouraged me (shamed me?) into building my first electronic kit, I did have to have "hand holding" in wiring up the Piezo (that shows how ignorant I am) but i have system that is up and running. Thanks to the forum.
But i would still like a tutorial on the under string pick up please. :)

Wichita Sam said:
"All those questions" that you asked is a form of "apprenticeship" thru which the learning offered is "earned".... the bonus is that relationships are formed. Not much of a relationship with a tutorial in had. No reason to get out of the cave. I think I can ask for much more of my CBG family, because of the relationship building in my "newbie" days...

JMHO,

the best,

Sam

Brian Lemin said:

Wichita Sam said:
Brian,

JMHO,
the best,

Wichita Sam
Brian,

You're a good heart... keep up the good work...

the best,

Sam

Brian Lemin said:
Please do not get me wrong, I am all for relationships throughout the CBN forum and developing them; but dare I suggest that you have forgotten what it is like to be a total Newbie, never having ever seen and examined a real live CBG in your life, never having made a musical instrument in your life, relying on pictures that often contradict each other, not fully getting to grips with the freedom that this instrument making bestows upon a new maker. [and on and on]

The fact is that these guys need someone on the end of the phone all the time, they get embarrassed by having to ask so many questions, to admit their total inability to come to grips with a concept that others think is simple.

A bank of tutorials gives a person at least some confidence, offers them opportunity to be flexible (because all, the tutorials have a different approach) and be selective as to what they need to ask of the forum members. Having built one CBG does mean the end of the need for supportive relationships, far from it, i am still asking questions after 2 and a half!
I am eternally grateful for the CBN friends, they have encouraged me (shamed me?) into building my first electronic kit, I did have to have "hand holding" in wiring up the Piezo (that shows how ignorant I am) but i have system that is up and running. Thanks to the forum.
But i would still like a tutorial on the under string pick up please. :)

Wichita Sam said:

JMHO,

the best,

Sam

Brian Lemin said:

Wichita Sam said:
Brian,

JMHO,
the best,

Wichita Sam
Thanks W Sam. Will you be my friend please? I need all your experience and wisdom.

Now to cap it all I am uploading a PDF article of a "pseudo scientific" nature, that could be long and boring to many but I think its conclusion is challenging.
Attachments:
Brian,

"experience and wisdom"?... like the poor man said, "I ain't go much, but what I got, I'm glad to share."...

the best,

Wichita Sam

Brian Lemin said:
Thanks W Sam. Will you be my friend please? I need all your experience and wisdom.

Here is a short article (for a change) suggesting a design approach aimed at increasing volume from a "stick the neck to the top of the lid" approach to making the CBG
Attachments:
Here is another short article discussing the merits of a double bottom CBG.
Attachments:

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Busking Songs...

Started by Nomad Jack in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by J. D. Woods on Wednesday. 7 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Moritz Voegeli and Matthias Bichsel are now friends
3 minutes ago
David L. replied to Rich Butters's discussion UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's
"I have found these are…"
35 minutes ago
J. D. Woods replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
38 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik posted a video

Don't Worry Be Happy: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 198th Zoom Mtg 04/15/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG Songbook.pdf...
43 minutes ago
Southern Ray commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

" I was gonna say, "Sweeeeeeeeeet" as well, but that was taken. Very nice. I too love…"
7 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
" Any other questions, just ask. "
7 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
" Hello JD, welcome. I'm a fifty year failed six-string player that got into building and…"
7 hours ago
BrianQ. replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
11 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

"Burn baby burn! Top looks hot Crazed; sporty headstock too. Excellent build."
11 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Ghostbuttons's photo
Thumbnail

Four projects

"You are a busy guy Warren! Outstanding builds and each one unique; well done."
11 hours ago
AGP # commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

""Sweeeeeeeeet", love the burning on the Body, have a Build on the Bench at the moment,…"
12 hours ago
AGP # liked Crazed Fandango's photo
12 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->